Country Music

Raw Country music presented by a modern Texas Trio , "The Marfa Tapes" captures the soul of old country music. Comprising of Miranda Lambert, Jack Ingram and Jon Randall the song writing and music is brilliant. Do give it a listen.

Last edited:
One of my Favourites of Tammy. ( All Wives should listen to this:):) Standby your man no matter how much Audiophile stuff he buys :D :D )

I know it was written in jest, but made me reflect on the largely conservative values that country music is usually based in. While the melody and instruments of any country track mesmerise me, when I pay attention to the lyrics, many a times I find myself in dissonance. However, there’s progressive country music too, and some die-hard liberal country musicians. Whether Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, or even the younger Loretta Lynn (The Pill) back then, or Tim McGraw or Brandy Clark now… the liberal voice has also found expression through the country genre time and again.

I know it was written in jest, but made me reflect on the largely conservative values that country music is usually based in. While the melody and instruments of any country track mesmerise me, when I pay attention to the lyrics, many a times I find myself in dissonance. However, there’s progressive country music too, and some die-hard liberal country musicians. Whether Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, or even the younger Loretta Lynn (The Pill) back then, or Tim McGraw or Brandy Clark now… the liberal voice has also found expression through the country genre time and again.
There's also an extreme non conservative sub-genre called "Outlaw Country" of which Hank Williams Jr. is a top act. :)

Here are some more :)

1. You can't run from love - Eddie Rabbit
2. Together Again - Buck Owens
3. Strangers in the Night - Frank Sinatra
4. Dream Lover- Ben.E.King

One of my absolute favorites; a neo-traditionalist and "that" voice! - Randy Travis
Another one of my favorite's is Clint Black. Check out 2 of his albums: Killin' Time | Put Yourself In My Shoes

While all the acts mentioned are truly honorable, bit surprised to see nobody mentioned Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.

Ricky Skaggs and Keith Whitley for a revival of mountain/bluegrass within mainstream country. Steve Earle as another recommendation in the outlaw country sub-genre (start with copperhead rd., guitar town, galway girl). Jerry Reed for virtuoso guitar pickin and an all round legend persona. Alan Jackson for an accessible, fun, honky-tonk swing vibe.

Interesting thread!
Thought of adding Townes Van Zandt… American singer songwriter who died very young. Some numbers I like are :

Colorado Girls
If I needed you
Pancho and Lefty
For the sake of the song

merle haggard
waylon jennings
john prine
alabama
wynonna
mary chapin carpenter
lesley kernochan
don williams