Cover for Lenco L75

navinsinha

I have an offer for a Lenco L75 at a reasonable price but without lid. Can any of the FMs suggest where an acrylic lid be made in Mumbai and what could be the approximate price?

SV Road in Jogeshwari is the place to go. There are lots of acrylic fabricators. Cost will be depend on thickness of acrylic sheet and design. Simple panels glued together would be cheapest. 3 mm sheet should be good enough. There are shops that will do more elaborate designs too, like bent panels instead of glued together panels. Then there are those who will laser etch design on the cover.

Congrats on your L75 acquisition. If your L75 in stock plinth? If yes, think about an upgrade. The dust cover is the easy part. You have 2 options, 1) do a wood panelled one with acrylic top and frontage or an all-acrylic one. If you are planning to attach hinges, option 1) works better.

Congrats on your L75 acquisition. If your L75 in stock plinth? If yes, think about an upgrade. The dust cover is the easy part. You have 2 options, 1) do a wood panelled one with acrylic top and frontage or an all-acrylic one. If you are planning to attach hinges, option 1) works better.
Hi Reuben,
I have not yet acquired it, I am negotiating.....lets hope it works out! Thanks anyway, for your guidance. At present it has the stock plinth.

by the way, this is how the original stock dust cover looked, complete, with support:

lenco%20ii%20008.jpg

by the way, this is how the original stock dust cover looked, complete, with support:

lenco%20ii%20008.jpg
Both the TT and the dust cover looks mint. You have set me thinking - if I should go for the TT or not. The one I am negotiating is nowhere close to what you have.

If you ask me, a stock L75 is a starting point for building a better plinth, and perhaps fitting a better arm:)

In stock state, you won't hear what it is actually capable of. And the stock arm needs a matching low compliance cartridge to come on song. Plus the V blocks on the arm are better off replaced with new ones ASAP as they're usually worn and won't perform well.

I have modified several Lenco players. I may have an extra original cover to give you in case you decide to buy the Lenco.

It is very easy to find a top condition Lenco L75 in Europe for around 100-120 euros, sometimes as low as 70 euros. Just browse through any decent local online marketplace for used goods (eBay could be a tad bit pricier). There are plenty available in countries such as Belgium, Germany, France, Switzerland, Italy and Holland. And some of them are even ready to ship to India. That would be another 100-120 euros. Still far cheaper than what some of these Bombay dealers want. And if you are visiting one of these places it would not be very hard to carry one as hand baggage sans that stock plinth.

Last edited:
It is very easy to find a top condition Lenco L75 in Europe for around 100-120 euros, sometimes as low as 70 euros. Just browse through any decent local online marketplace for used goods (eBay could be a tad bit pricier). There are plenty available in countries such as Belgium, Germany, France, Switzerland, Italy and Holland. And some of them are even ready to ship to India. That would be another 100-120 euros. Still far cheaper than what some of these Bombay dealers want. And if you are visiting one of these places it would not be very hard to carry one as hand baggage sans that stock plinth.

+1, this is the best method, without doubt. I have great experiences in buying stuff from abroad, especially from hi-fi dealerships. They are very professional, honest, have only good stuff and many of them are very knowledgeable. Shipping and customs need to be factored and that almost doubles the price you pay but believe me, its worth it. I have purchased by directly visiting the premises and also through shipping. Both experiences were great. Just last weekend, I acquired by second Technics SP10 MKII but visiting a hi-fi store.

When I was scouting for Lencos sometime ago, I was surprised to find one in Trivandrum. On close examination, I noticed that it was "not" in original condition. The owner said it was modded by a knowledgeable gentleman. My observation was that it was a hybrid of non-original parts (for that particular model) :) Whatever be the temptation, always get yourself an original and if you really need to mod it, do it yourself or under strict supervision and after multiple consultations with at least 4-5 experts. Mods are highly personal and may not be appealing to you. Also mods reduces the saleability factor (unless you have a world famous customizing brand attached to it). Remember you will want to upgrade at some point. If you are modding, not a bad idea to keep the originals so you can reverse the mod if you want to sell.

Regarding the dust cover, if you design it yourself and go to the fabricator yourself, you can get a fantastic one, done for less than 1.5k.

Last edited:
Yes, for someone who travels overseas even once a year that should indeed be the case. If you observe Yahoo Japan auctions you will find some amazing deals. Just that these sellers do not ship overseas at all. Last month I saw an auction for Sony TTS 4000 with two FR tonearms end at about 70,000 yen i.e around Rs 35,000! And this is just one such instance. I have seen many deals like this.

Last edited:
Hi Reuben/Gangof4
I fully agree with you. In fact, yesterday only I auditioned the Lenco and rejected it as I felt that the idler wheel was not in good shape. It is not a big thing to change the wheel but it puts doubt about the overall condition of the TT. I fully agree with you guys to try from UK or Europe. My own experience of buying from abroad has been very good.
My I request you guys to kindly PM me the details of a few UK/European used item dealer please, who are good and reliable?

And in case, any one of the FMs wants to sell a Lenco, kindly PM me.

Pardon me for off topic. I was under the impression that used electronics can not be imported. What is safe procedure to import ? Not sure, but I may buy used Technics or some other turntable.
Regards

Pardon me for off topic. I was under the impression that used electronics can not be imported. What is safe procedure to import ? Not sure, but I may buy used Technics or some other turntable.
Regards

I have imported mostly from Ebay without any problems from US, UK, Germany and Netherlands. I had customs problems in importing some DSLR lenses from Japan. Rest was all OK. The postman would come to your place and collect customs duty. I have always paid reasonable duty and some times no duty was charged. Other members would also chip in.

Regards

Yes, used or vintage electronics cannot be imported unless hand-carried or shipped as personal effects of someone who has stayed abroad for more than a year and is relocating. If shipped otherwise, used electronics attracts upto 33% customs duty (value of goods include shipping cost) and in some cases, an additional fine of Rs.1000/- as well. Used electronics which is hand-carried by travellers on a visit or business visa is usually also picked up by customs at the airport, if the passenger is "unlucky".

I have imported mostly from Ebay without any problems from US, UK, Germany and Netherlands. I had customs problems in importing some DSLR lenses from Japan. Rest was all OK. The postman would come to your place and collect customs duty. I have always paid reasonable duty and some times no duty was charged. Other members would also chip in.

I used DHL for my shipments. They are the best and the fastest. I get stuff delivered from Germany within a week, even after customs clearance. I have already submitted the mandatory KYC documents to DHL and that helped. Customs clearance happens in a day. I also tried FedEx as well. They are not as efficient as DHL but are less expensive. The shipment reached me in just over a week. Again I sent them the KYC documents in advance and also ensured that the Kerala Value Added Tax Form (Form-16) was provided in advance. DHL and FexEx use their very own delivery in India. When I used services of Royal Mail, UPS, etc, their India delivery partner was India Post and goods took almost upto a month to arrive. In all cases, customs duty is collected by cash, from doorstep at the time of delivery. India Posts will not deliver the parcel at doorstep if its something the postman cannot carry.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back