cPlay or Virtual CD/DVD-ROM?

rastaman

Hi,

As it is clear from the title I'm wondering which is better? cPlay or Virtual CD/DVD-ROM? I've been reading a lot on this forum and have tried out cPlay which I admit is an excellent player.

I have some 400 odd CDs and I'm wondering if ripping them in FLAC format is better (to be played on cPlay) or is it better to rip BIN and CUE files which can be loaded on a virtual drive and played on any player. cPlay while it is an excellent player takes a lot of system resources and is also very cumbersome to use. A virtual drive on the other hand offers the advantages of cPlay without draining the system resources.

I also used Foobar but I'm not able to locate a download link for the Sox resampler. Can anyone please share the latest download link for the Sox resampler?

Thanks very much in advance audio gurus.

Rastaman,

Here is the link for the Sox resampler plugin.

Hydrogenaudio Forums > Resampler plugin

I am biased towards cPlay myself and dont believe other players can give as much quality and detail. As to system resources, if you have foobar using ASIO and Sox resampling I dont think it would be a great difference in terms of resources consumed.

Spiro, I am using Kernel streaming 24bit with my sound card and is jitter free compared to asio. You can try it and let us know the difference.

Spiro, I am using Kernel streaming 24bit with my sound card and is jitter free compared to asio. You can try it and let us know the difference.

Thanks,
Well default setting is primary sound driver(output),Is it the same?It is sounding better.
I have seen Kernel streaming opt in earlier verg.

ASIO should be better than Kernel streaming. I have tried both in my setup and ASIO was better.

The first copy should be made in Data CD mode, then mounted on a virtual drive and ripped into format of your choice. FLAC is more and more the format to have, but I use wav for my CDs. 400CDs = 750GB drive with room for the future.

I'll wait till cPlay has proper playlist support, and supports Shorten and Monkey's audio. A lot of (free to download) live concerts happen to be in .shn which is not supported by cPlay.

Till then I am running Foobar with no upsampling, sounds the best this way to me.

Cranky - did you try the Sox resampler with Foobar? After cPlay this combination is my go-to solution for the most part.

No, I haven't, but I'll give it a shot.

One reason I don't like oversampling is the CPU has to work harder. With a passively cooled CPU like mine, I need to be very sure of the thermal footprint. With SSRC the CPU use was unreasonably high (and sounded artificial), and with PPHS I could hear very little difference.

I have found that Sox resampler consumes far less CPU memory than with SRC. Do try and let me know how it goes.

Back