cPlay Thread...

The SQ is surely a step above Foobar, but doesn't load more than one file at a time unless you use cue sheets, and I'm not about to re-rip 400 CDs, no sir.

I'll wait till they support drag-n-drop of a directory tree.

There is no need to re-rip the CDs. You can create cuesheets using Cuesheet Creator in Foobar, Recursive Cue Creator or CPlaylistEditor. I use Cuesheet Creator plugin for Foobar and it works great.

All these result either in a single cue sheet for each directory (aka recursive) or a single large cue sheet with one album name.

Both unsuitable for me, I have over 26000 songs and about 3000 albums.

The reason to go for a PC source was to eliminate changing CDs and jump between tracks conveniently. cPlay does not yet have the functionality to achieve this on its own. I would be OK if it displayed just the filename and the interface supported drag-n-drop.

I have no dispute about the superior quality cPlay and it is installed on my music rig, but only for a demo or a super-critical listening session. For most sessions, Foobar is fine... I do understand the need to keep the interface simple and the program small, as it undoubtedly has an impact on the SQ.

Thanks for the links though, much appreciated. I have seen the Foobar plugin but not the recursive creator, so thanks for that.

Cranky - I am just seeing this. If this is the reason which has kept you away from cPlay, worry not. It is a non-issue:).

The cPlaylist Editor (link provided by moserw above) will help you add flac or wav files to your playlist - even mix sampling rates - and create a 'playlist'. This will be a cue file which you can call up on cPlay and voila you have a traditional playlist. cPlay has Random and Default mode as well.

Hi sorry for not being clear. I am able to hear sound. I wanted optimal settings(for cplay & ASIO4ALL) for best SQ. May be other users can share their settings.

spirovious, xonar asio doesnt work for me. According to diagonstics, cplay is 32bit and xonar outputs 24 bits. Thats why i use ASIO4ALL

Hi sorry for not being clear. I am able to hear sound. I wanted optimal settings(for cplay & ASIO4ALL) for best SQ. May be other users can share their settings.

spirovious, xonar asio doesnt work for me. According to diagonstics, cplay is 32bit and xonar outputs 24 bits. Thats why i use ASIO4ALL

The best setting differs for different people. We all hear differently. What has sounded best for me was the Sox resampler and VHQ (Very High Quality).

Leave the cMP checkbox unticked if you want to use Windows explorer. If you are just going to listen to music, then you check this on to achieve as high a sound quality as is possible through the PC medium. Also leave the Phase at Linear. There is some discussion that the Phase can be altered to find the most optimum sound, but that is not something I place too much stock in right now. Also leave the Buffer at 'Auto'.

For better sound quality you can also check off the Timer. The 'Autoplay' in my mind is not needed. You can hit the Play button yourself, I guess.

Hope this helps.

And as you rightly say, the biggest lacuna of the ASUS Xonar line of cards is its ASIO drivers. They are absolutely poor and they dont work with cPlay. So, yes, ASIO4ALL is the last refuge. The only refuge.

FYI: M2Tech

"The standard audio drivers available on the market (e.g. Microsoft Windows operating system) dictated constraints can be overcome thanks to hiFace proprietary drivers: they allow for transferring audio data, maintaining the original file quality without any loss of resolution quality; also, sampling frequency constraints are overcome, while Microsoft and ASIO drivers oblige to operate at no more than 96kHz. When hiFace is used together with a player application such as FooBar (available for free on Internet), you can transfer S/PDIF stream music files to a D/A converter at 192kHz/24bits maximum frequency/resolution, avoiding undesired PC or MAC audio mixer data processing during the data transfer from hard disk to interface. Presently, Windows XP, Vista and 7 Windows drivers are available. Soon available also Mac and Linux drivers. "

For the asio foobar cplay fans ...

Cheers

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back