Crazy import duties

Got a Message this evening from DHL Express for online payment of import duty/tax etc. to DHL Express amounting to 86% for a parcel from Mouser costing Rs. 14308.47 including shipping charge. More over, the online payment to be done through a third party site for which a Convenience/Processing Fee will be charged to my Credit/Debit Card, in addition to the Invoice Amount, for making online payment using the payment gateway services of a third party Service Provider.
Previously I had to pay @ 42% of total value at the time of delivery. This time the parcel left from Delhi to Kolkata at 6.21 PM after completing clearance process at 9 AM today at Delhi Customs and I got the message at 6.21 PM.
This is scary for the end user common people.
Why not order from Mouser.in ? I think they would take care of the duties...

Got a Message this evening from DHL Express for online payment of import duty/tax etc. to DHL Express amounting to 86% for a parcel from Mouser costing Rs. 14308.47 including shipping charge. More over, the online payment to be done through a third party site for which a Convenience/Processing Fee will be charged to my Credit/Debit Card, in addition to the Invoice Amount, for making online payment using the payment gateway services of a third party Service Provider.
Previously I had to pay @ 42% of total value at the time of delivery. This time the parcel left from Delhi to Kolkata at 6.21 PM after completing clearance process at 9 AM today at Delhi Customs and I got the message at 6.21 PM.
This is scary for the end user common people.
I completely agree. This is exorbitant.

I had written to Mads Buchardt of Buchardt Audio about their new active speakers and the import issue they were previously facing. They now have a Delivery Duty Paid (DDP) solution and this is the response I got from him:

Hi,
Thank you so much for your email and your interest.
We've have been working hard to offer this DDP solution worldwide and India has of course been one of our biggest challenges. The only reason we solved this problem was to establish a warehouse through our shipping company here in Denmark. This means we import our products directly through them. This is something we can do cause both companies are being registered in India.
So yes, I can finally answer one of our interested customers from india that we solved this and your final price including shipping, import & customs for the bundle deal is €3.450 :) All though this price is only cause of we just launched the speakers and made a generous pre-order deal :)
Let me know if you have any questions :)
Sincerely,
Mads Buchardt
CEO

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get myself to pre-order the active versions of the S400 - the price has now increased from 3450 Euros to 3750 Euros.

Anyway I digress. The point I wanted to make is - I hope more foreign manufacturers implement this DDP solution.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back