Crazy import duties

Hi Guys

Since this post is quite active, I would like to pick the minds of you guys, I am planning to order a DAC from Australia. I do not have any prior experience in importing anything. I was given a quote of A$300 as freight. Could any one please guide me how to use EMS for shipment? I was advised against using AUS POST.

In case of EMS who does the custom clearance? I need to go the cargo terminal ? Paperwork etc?

I'll be grateful if someone could clear the doubts.

Thanks a lot.
A few things you should bring to light, first
  1. Does the enterprise you're importing from give you an option to ship via EMS?
  2. The freight you've been quoted for, does it include customs duty and clearance?
In case of EMS, you don't have to bother until your postman brings the package to you. Your local post office will call you first and let you know the duties to be paid if any.

Who should pick the product from the origin? Origin post office or FedEx/DHL? How India Post would come in to play?
Depends on what all option the seller provides for shipment overseas. If Fedex/DHL it will then be them only, all the way to your door. If EMS, then India Post takes over after the shipment reaches India.

A few things you should bring to light, first
  1. Does the enterprise you're importing from give you an option to ship via EMS?
  2. The freight you've been quoted for, does it include customs duty and clearance?
In case of EMS, you don't have to bother until your postman brings the package to you. Your local post office will call you first and let you know the duties to be paid if any.
The quote I have been given so for freight only 5 days door to door delivery including custom clearance (if it says door to door). I will have to pay the custom duty, thats not part of the freight cost.

The quote I have been given so for freight only 5 days door to door delivery including custom clearance (if it says door to door). I will have to pay the custom duty, thats not part of the freight cost.
I'm guessing your package will be sent with an invoice with the full value. In this case, even if they send it via EMS it'll attract duties, whatever is applicable. As Fms have already mentioned, FedEx and the likes will have their own charges, over and above.

I'm guessing your package will be sent with an invoice with the full value. In this case, even if they send it via EMS it'll attract duties, whatever is applicable. As Fms have already mentioned, FedEx and the likes will have their own charges, over and above.
The dealer gave me an option to under value the invoice. But I would avoid that.

So I just ordered some records from Amazon UK that got shipped via DHL, and I am being slapped with duties totally almost 70% !!! That is crazy. I used to order from Amazon UK all the time and never paid duty, and in the rare chance I did it was always around 30-50%. But now it is just ridiculous, and I have to return everything back to Amazon because I refuse to pay such high duties. What a pain!! Is there any way to tell Amazon UK NOT to ship via DHL? Sometimes I order and it comes via normal post and doesn't attract duty, only last 3-4 orders have all come via DHL and been stopped at customs.

I have tried many times to contact Amazon UK customer care and ask them to please NEVER send my future parcels via DHL Express. They say they will make a note of my request, but 6/10 times they send my orders via DHL Express. It's very frustrating. I also refuse to pay such crazy custom amount (and additionally they charge 600 INR handling charges!! What nonsense!) and I end up returning all items sent via DHL express. Other courier services are no problem at all. I think the custom duty is always applicable when parcel is shipped using some express/priority method. All other courier services that Amazon UK uses are normal/standard shipping methods.

So unfortunately, I don't think there is any solution to this problem. Just place the order, and hope that they do not send via DHL express!

I have tried many times to contact Amazon UK customer care and ask them to please NEVER send my future parcels via DHL Express. They say they will make a note of my request, but 6/10 times they send my orders via DHL Express. It's very frustrating. I also refuse to pay such crazy custom amount (and additionally they charge 600 INR handling charges!! What nonsense!) and I end up returning all items sent via DHL express. Other courier services are no problem at all. I think the custom duty is always applicable when parcel is shipped using some express/priority method. All other courier services that Amazon UK uses are normal/standard shipping methods.

So unfortunately, I don't think there is any solution to this problem. Just place the order, and hope that they do not send via DHL express!
Hi

My parcel is about to be shipped via DHL. So you have any big concerns with DHL? I can try in that case not to use DHL.

Thanks.

Hi

My parcel is about to be shipped via DHL. So you have any big concerns with DHL? I can try in that case not to use DHL.

Thanks.

"DHL express" is a problem. They will surely ask you to pay custom duty + their handling charges. There is another DHL service that Amazon UK uses called "Deutsche Post DHL". That is a standard method. One way to differentiate them is: DHL express will have 10 digit tracking number; Deutsche Post DHL will have 12 digit.

"DHL express" is a problem. They will surely ask you to pay custom duty + their handling charges. There is another DHL service that Amazon UK uses called "Deutsche Post DHL". That is a standard method. One way to differentiate them is: DHL express will have 10 digit tracking number; Deutsche Post DHL will have 12 digit.
Mine will be shipped from Australia. I have not paid the custom duty but only shipping and insurance. I will pay to DHL once it's cleared. Any other issue?

Last edited:
there are rules and then the rule also gives certain leeway to the customs officer to decide the duty if he feels there is under invoicing ....he need not charge more in terms of percentage and violate the rule , he can always raise the price claiming that you have under invoiced and charge more ...

certain brands in India have a mark up of more than 100% compared to price in Euro or USD ...so even after paying shipping/duties/courier charges etc you can still save around 40 % to 50% of INR value . Its more about what you are importing

Hi

Thanks.
I have already returned 3 parcels this week! Thankfully Amazon UK refunds my money, but what a waste of time.

Just received a parcel(EMS) with declared value of Rs.1505. Was charged duty of Rs.797:mad:. I thought duty was charged only if declared value is over Rs.5000. This is the first time I have paid customs duty (have been ordering for 15 years)

Last edited:
Just received a parcel(EMS) with declared value of Rs.1505. Was charged duty of Rs.797:mad:. I thought duty was charged only if declared value is over Rs.5000. This is the first time I have paid customs duty (have been ordering for 15 years)

Was the size very big ?.
If it's reasonable size and value what you mentioned I have never heard they charging duty
And what you are charged is more then 50 percent :(

There are 2 scenarios that this could've happened.
  1. The customs felt that the goods have been undervalued.
  2. The article was not marked as gift. Only articles marked as gift under Rs. 5000 are considered being duty free.
Here's what the government is upto:

If we are charged such high duties then we should get a computer printed recipt with proper price break up and rubber stamp of indian customs

They write all on a dirty piece of paper and that too in hand writing which is most difficult to understand

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back