croma

srikarkav

Hi chennai guys,

croma has opened two stores in Chennai, one at Anna Nagar and another in Tarapore Towers, Anna Salai.

cheers,
sri

Hope there are some good offers.

The best offer for me in Croma was Imation DVDs @ Rs. 8/DVD.
Buy a spindle of 25 DVDs for Rs. 199.00 and get one spindle free.

It was very limited more than a year ago. I must have picked at least 10+10 spindles.

I went to the Tarapore Towers one, both the range of products and staff were inferior to E-zone, but they had a slightly better price on the Philips 5996, so I bought it from there (Rs. 3994).

Hi chennai guys,

croma has opened two stores in Chennai, one at Anna Nagar and another in Tarapore Towers, Anna Salai.

cheers,
sri

It was very limited more than a year ago. I must have picked at least 10+10 spindles.

hi,

They are offering Philips 42PFL5403 full HD lcd for 53k uNder exchange.

sri

Philips - the brand is not seling very well in LCD's ,and in India concentrating more on medical electronics and durables.
For some strange reason I can see the number of outlets diminishing..
In us they are out of TV business and have a distribution arrangement with smalltime Japanese brand Funai..

Funai to distribute Philips TVs in U.S., Canada | News Blog - CNET News

" Funai to distribute Philips TVs in U.S., Canada
by Erica Ogg
Font size
Print
4 comments

As of September, Philips will no longer make televisions for the U.S. and Canada.

Instead, it is transferring that job to Japanese electronics maker Funai. The two companies agreed to a brand-licensing agreement in which Funai will source, distribute, market and sell all consumer TVs under the Philips and Magnavox brand names in the U.S. and Canada.

The deal begins September 1 and is good for five years. Funai will pay a royalty to Philips.

Beginning in September, Funai will distribute all Philips TV in the U.S. and Canada.
(Credit: Philips)

"This agreement secures continued presence of Philips and Magnavox branded TVs in North America in a model that safeguards Philips profitability in this highly competitive market," Philips said in a statement Tuesday.

And so begins the thinning of the herd. The television market is becoming an especially tough business, as prices continue to fall and more inexpensive brands like Vizio and Olevia attempt to edge out the traditional market leaders. Pioneer, a leader in plasma TV tech, also recently announced it would sell TVs but no longer make its own plasma panels.

This means that though the Philips brand name will live on in the U.S., the materials inside those televisions aren't necessarily the same. But the biggest blow is to brand perception.

Philips is a top-tier television maker--it won the Best of CES 2008 Best in Show Award from my CNET Reviews colleague David Katzmaier for its Eco TV--and Funai is, well, not as a highly regarded. This is a boon to Funai, and Chief Executive Tetsuro Funai's comment is pretty much the understatement of the year: "As a premium brand, Philips will add lustre to our existing portfolio."

To be fair, Philips has definitely struggled to compete in the flat-panel TV market. Though the company has attempted to differentiate its brand with Ambilight technology aimed at home theater enthusiasts, it still trailed the big guys, like Sony, Panasonic, and Sharp, in both production and panache."

Just for Info ....

Read This to

Gizmodo - Philips Won't Sell TVs in North America Anymore - Gadgets

Philips Won't Sell TVs in North America Anymore
By matt buchanan, 12:42 PM on Tue Apr 8 2008, 14,322 views

If the rampant out- and cross-sourcing between LCD and plasma TV makers didn't tell you that it's a nasty and brutish time in the TV biz, this should: Philips is officially pulling out of the US market, and is licensing its brand name for TVs over to Funaibest known for supplying Wal-Mart's Black Friday TVs and DVD players.

Funai will be making, distributing and marketing TVs under the Philips and Magnavox brands in the US for the next five years, starting Sept. 1. They'll also get full access to Philips' R&D, including its Eco TV, but it's anyone's guess as to how much of its CES lineup will materialize now.. Here's the full press release:
April 8, 2008

PHILIPS TAKES DECISIVE STEPS TO IMPROVE PROFITABILITY OF ITS TELEVISION BUSINESS

Philips will enter into a brand license agreement to transfer its North American consumer TV activities to Funai
Philips will continue to take steps to improve profitability of its TV operations by further optimizing its supply base
Charges of up to EUR 125 million will be taken during 2008 in connection with the above

Amsterdam, The Netherlands - Royal Philips Electronics (NYSE:pHG, AEX:pHI) and Funai Electric Co Ltd (TSE/OSE: 6839) of Japan today announced their intention to enter into a brand licensing agreement under which Funai will assume responsibility for the sourcing, distribution, marketing and sales of all Philips' consumer television activities in the United States and Canada. The five-year minimum agreement takes effect September 1, 2008 and stipulates Philips will receive royalty payments in exchange for Funai's right to exclusively use the Philips and Magnavox brand names for its consumer television offerings in North America during this period. This agreement secures continued presence of Philips and Magnavox branded TV's in North America in a model that safeguards Philips profitability in this highly competitive market.

Philips today also announced that it will continue to take steps to improve the financial performance of its television operations by further optimizing its existing global supply base and focusing its TV business on its strongest markets, especially in Europe and in key emerging countries. To cover for the costs associated with these additional steps, and the costs associated with the transfer of the company's North American TV activities to Funai, Philips will take total charges of up to EUR 125 million during 2008.

"The agreement with Funai and the other measures to improve profitability we are planning, follow our commitment that we would take decisive steps in addressing the unacceptable profitability levels in our TV business in 2008," Philips President and Chief Executive Officer Gerard Kleisterlee said. "We have an 18 year working relationship with Funai and are confident it is an excellent partner to implement this new model for Philips' television business in North America. This agreement will ensure a presence for Philips television in North America and uninterrupted access to innovative products for consumers."

Other Philips consumer business categories in North America are not affected by this agreement and will continue to be manufactured, marketed and sold by Philips. Philips' television position in the rest of the world is also unaffected by this partnership with Funai.

Funai will have access to Philips' world-class Research and Design experts to ensure Philips televisions deliver continuous innovation to consumers in both technology and form. These include the recently launched Design Collection and energy-efficient range of televisions dubbed the 'Eco TV'. Funai will be licensed on condition of compliance with Philips requirements on brand use, product quality, product design and provision of consumer care. Philips television sales in North America amounted to EUR 1 billion in 2007. Completion of this intended agreement is subject to any mandatory governmental regulatory approvals.

According to Tetsuro Funai, President and CEO of Funai Electric Co., Ltd, "Philips and Funai have a long history together, and we are proud to be the trusted partner charged with managing this important and high profile product category for Philips. As a premium brand, Philips will add lustre to our existing portfolio and consumers can continue to count on the Philips quality, design and innovation to which they have become accustomed. We look forward to working together to ensure a seamless transition of the business."

The problem with Philips is their marketing. It is zero. As for the product it is a misconception with everyone that their stuff is no good when compared to Samsung or Sony. Philips are innovators in this field. Regardless of the controversy behind Pixel Plus Technology the end result on the screen was actually stunning.

Their Ambilight is another innovation. The idea is so simple but works wonders when your watching a movie.

My personal choice for televisions are Philips & I doubt if any other make can beat them on TV's.

I am not too worried if Funai ends up manufacturing them cause the R&D support will be provided by Philips. Funai will make them according to what Philips specify.I can't wait for their 21:9 aspect ratio tv

Now they sell Moserbaer :eek:hyeah:
Not a single product i have seen they sell through out. I guess they make lot purchases.
For me this way Croma is not creating a good impression

Now they sell Moserbaer :eek:hyeah:
Not a single product i have seen they sell through out. I guess they make lot purchases.
For me this way Croma is not creating a good impression

Any offers on Moser?

But where is our big boss moserw? I have not seen him for a few days now:confused:

No offers last time i saw a few weeks back
I don't know when these people will understand whats an ELECTRONIC store and start having all the products
At least they should know whats a 2rca to 2rca Inter connect
Go and ask them , i need an interconnect... The salesguy will say "I will call my senior" :clapping::clapping:

The sad story is that these stores are neither owned nor run nor staffed by enthusiasts.. They are just run by people with purely business interests..

But yes, all said and done thats what probably makes business sense to them.. They only stock those goods which they think will bring them the moolah.. For the rest of us gawkers and occassional buyers- we just have to wait till a new star shop arrives.

No offers last time i saw a few weeks back
I don't know when these people will understand whats an ELECTRONIC store and start having all the products
At least they should know whats a 2rca to 2rca Inter connect
Go and ask them , i need an interconnect... The salesguy will say "I will call my senior" :clapping::clapping:

last time i asked a personnel in chroma that i needed a 3.5mm stereo to rca connector - he kept looking at me blankly.

BTW I saw a lot of good audio CDs going with 75% discount at Hadapsar Chroma - inluded beatles, linkin park, the doors, some great assortment of country and Jazz music. So basically cds going for 100 bucks - was a steal.....:licklips:

And yes even bestbuy in the US has a section of people called geeksquad (AFAIK) - i spend some 30 mins with a guy when i was killing time auditioning some HT equipment there - talkign to him was pure nirvana - dispelled quite a few myths about hdmi and digital connections, audio equipment etc. In comparision to even mass market bestbuy, chroma seems like a place to "lootofy" people.

Last edited:
the best staff i've seen are at the Reliance Digital in Bangalore (Cunningham Road).

For instance the lady knew the difference between the 3996 and the 5996 was that the 3996 did not have DTS. There was also another lady in the printer cartridge section who reeled off the name of the cartridge that i needed, when I told her the model number of my printer, and then she found that cartridge for me, and it turned out to be the right one.

The chappies also seemed to know the difference between a Co-axial and optical cable as well.

Just 3 instances, but i was impressed by all 3 :)

The RD Vashi has quite a few staff members who resemble villagers in modern outfit. And product knowledge - absolute disgrace!

It could be possible that all 3 instances were extreme cases of coincidence, when they told you all that they knew?!!!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Just kidding. Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Though the Croma outlet (anna salai) is very close to my office i could visit it only today.
Well the sales staff really suck. They all look really lost. And all the products are on MRP:sad:

The PV8 is quoted for 49990/- and they said its the final price:rolleyes:
There was a mosebear 32 inch LCD for 22990/- i think. But they were not displaying any pictures on it so couldnt check the PQ. Overall didnt get a nice impression about the outlet.

cheers,
sri

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back