Crooner’s Corner

... Nana Mouskouri( I have ' Red Rose of Athens', in Greek!)
I think you meant "White Rose of Athens". Thanks for bringing that up. I feel if one haven't heard it, one has missed what human vocals can achieve. Her voice is sublime. Similarly I found voice of Lata and Asha (from the 50s and 60s) sublime. Here is the "White Rose of Athens"

Last edited:
Exactly. Everthing about that movie, songs like Eidelweiss, Going on 16, farewell are something that just cannot be replicated. Different age different times. BTW it is based on a true story on the Von Trapp family https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapp_Family.

This is a real photograph of the Von Trapp family singers
Trapp_Family_Singers_1941.JPG

I have lost count of how many times I have watched "The Sound of Music"

My best song from sound of music is quite underrated sadly and its not any one of the above and I think it beats all of the others by a mile. Climb Every Mountain is no 2 for me but the number one for me will always be “Something Good”. The lyrics are magical.

Well, I know I have watched Sound of music 127 times 😂. Just kidding but I am sure I have crossed at least half a century mark on Sound of Music along with others films like Star wars(the first one), The Jungle book(1967 version), and Mackenna’s Gold. Mamma Mia is catching up pretty fast BTW. ☺️ These movies are like Asterix comics, every time you read them you catch onto something that you didn't the last time.

Well, I know I have watched Sound of music 127 times 😂. Just kidding but I am sure I have crossed at least half a century mark on Sound of Music along with others films like Star wars(the first one), The Jungle book(1967 version), and Mackenna’s Gold. Mamma Mia is catching up pretty fast BTW. ☺️ These movies are like Asterix comics, every time you read them you catch onto something that you didn't the last time.
I feel there should be a separate post on "Movies which you have watched Zillion Times and Why". Mine have been
1. The Bicycle Thieves - Vittrio De Sica.
2. The Sound of Music - Richard Rodgers, lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein
3. Pyaasa by Guru Dutt
4. Satyajit Ray's Trilogy
5. Star Wars
6. Star Trek (all series)
7. Fiddler on the Roof
8. Mother India and "The Good Earth" which it is based on

I feel there should be a separate post on "Movies which you have watched Zillion Times and Why". Mine have been
1. The Bicycle Thieves - Vittrio De Sica.
2. The Sound of Music - Richard Rodgers, lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein
3. Pyaasa by Guru Dutt
4. Satyajit Ray's Trilogy
5. Star Wars
6. Star Trek (all series)
7. Fiddler on the Roof
8. Mother India and "The Good Earth" which it is based on

Please start one….

Mbhangui. Thanks. 'White rose of Athens' it is. Don't know what I was thinking at that time!! Maybe about 'Red Rose Speedway ' by Wings. Or about the 1980 Bollywood movie starring Rajesh Khanna and Poonam Dhillon. Or about the Drama series. I digress. 'White rose of Athens' was a truly iconic song by this Greek born singer, who sang it in many languages.

The fine art of “Crooning” 😉. One of his best and very well recorded.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back