Cliff Richards
Eddie Arnold
Susan Raye
Jim Reeves
Andy Williams
Connie Francis
Skeeter Davis
Mary Pickford (with Les Paul)

all on LP, from Dad's collection, grew up listening to these, Jones, Diamond, Anka, Elvis and a lot more. Spent my early childhood in the 70s. There was no TV in those times and the only listenable music radio station was Radio Ceylon on shortwave. So, we had long hi-fi listening sessions on Saturday evenings and Sundays.

So many wonderful names

Some more:
Cliff Richards ( maybe pop-ish)
Ann Murray
Eva Cassidy
Ray Charles

I love Sinatra especially from the 60s and the 70s.. Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra are my father's absolute favourites apart from being an Elvis fanboy...

Below are some of my favourite singers/composers:

Frank Sinatra
Burt Bacharach
Antonio Carlos Jobim

Michael Buble is another good crooner of our times...

B J Thomas " Hey Won't You Play Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song"
Paul Simon " Late in The Evening "
Fats Domino " There Goes my Heart Again "
Doris Day "Those were the Days, my Friend"
Olivia Newton John "Physical"
Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong "Sweet Lorraine"
Demis Roussos "My Only Fascination"
Elton John "Don't Let The Sun Go down on Me"
Lobo "Me and You and a...."
Kenny Rogers "Ruby"
Johnny Cash " I Forgot to Remember to Forget"
Yes, in the Seventies, we had Radio Ceylon, with Eric Fernando curating some great music. Also Radio Australia on the 13 m SW band, which few transistors had (most stopped at 16 m). Radio Kuwait on 19 m at night. VOA on 25 and 31m, as I recall.

I love Sinatra especially from the 60s and the 70s.. Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra are my father's absolute favourites apart from being an Elvis fanboy...

Below are some of my favourite singers/composers:

Frank Sinatra
Burt Bacharach
Antonio Carlos Jobim

Michael Buble is another good crooner of our times...

Ditto Panditji and on the father bit as well.

Sammy Davis Jr.

One of my favourite is Nana Mouskouri and this song especially. This song is originally from Abba sung in 1979. Nana Mouskouri's version is from 1986 IIRC

If you have heard John Coltrane's My Favourite things, you may want to know that the history. This song was immortalized by the movie Sound of Music. An Iconic movie of those times and still counts as one of the greatest movies made.

The first time “My Favorite Things” became associated with Christmas was in 1961, when Julie Andrews performed the song on a Garry Moore TV holiday special – long before she starred in the movie version of The Sound of Music, which was filmed in 1964 and released in April 1965.

My Favorite Things is the seventh studio album by jazz musician John Coltrane, released in March 1961 on Atlantic Records. It was the first album to feature Coltrane playing soprano saxophone. An edited version of the title track became a hit single that gained popularity in 1961 on radio. The record became a major commercial success.

The original song

Demis Rousseau, Nana Mouskouri( I have ' Red Rose of Athens', in Greek!) , John Coltrane and Julie Andrews bring back memories of days when music was played on Sonodyne, Cosmic, Norge, Arphi, Solidaire, Nelco, Philips, Bush, Murphy and Ahuja amps, cassette decks ,tt and big speakers! And sounded so good!! Thanks Mbhangui for the memories.

If you have heard John Coltrane's My Favourite things, you may want to know that the history. This song was immortalized by the movie Sound of Music. An Iconic movie of those times and still counts as one of the greatest movies made.

The first time “My Favorite Things” became associated with Christmas was in 1961, when Julie Andrews performed the song on a Garry Moore TV holiday special – long before she starred in the movie version of The Sound of Music, which was filmed in 1964 and released in April 1965.

My Favorite Things is the seventh studio album by jazz musician John Coltrane, released in March 1961 on Atlantic Records. It was the first album to feature Coltrane playing soprano saxophone. An edited version of the title track became a hit single that gained popularity in 1961 on radio. The record became a major commercial success.

The original song

Every time I hear Julie Andrews and a handful of other stage singers like her, I feel blessed. There just wont be another….

You guys should hear her studio recording of King and I(also packed with other big names) which all comes together so beautifully, if you are into that kind of stuff. This was made post her surgery on the voicebox due to which she lost her impossible 5 octave range but not her skills and the ability to tell a story. Its one of her best recordings. Hear it.

Last edited:
Every time I hear Julie Andrews and a handful of other singers, I feel blessed. There just wont be another….
Exactly. Everthing about that movie, songs like Eidelweiss, Going on 16, farewell are something that just cannot be replicated. Different age different times. BTW it is based on a true story on the Von Trapp family https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapp_Family.

This is a real photograph of the Von Trapp family singers
Trapp_Family_Singers_1941.JPG

I have lost count of how many times I have watched "The Sound of Music"

Demis Rousseau, Nana Mouskouri( I have ' Red Rose of Athens', in Greek!) , John Coltrane and Julie Andrews bring back memories of days when music was played on Sonodyne, Cosmic, Norge, Arphi, Solidaire, Nelco, Philips, Bush, Murphy and Ahuja amps, cassette decks ,tt and big speakers! And sounded so good!! Thanks Mbhangui for the memories.
Indeed. I used to listen to all of these on my Dad's Aiwa Spool recorder/player from the 60.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back