Acoustic Portrait Swara v2 Integrated Amplifier review

abracher9

I have not seen an Acoustic Portrait Swara integrated amp review on this forum and having bought this one recently, am sharing my views on it.

As a background, I started this hifi journey with a Sony home theatre(!) with Bose 161 speakers attached.
Here is the list of components that I have used:
  • Marantz CDP5004 + Norge 1000 + Wharfedale 9.6 floorstander
CIMG0793.jpg
  • Changed to Marantz CDP 5004 + Topping Tp20 + Wharfedale 9.6 floorstander
  • Changed to Marantz CDP 5004 + Marantz PM5004 + Wharfedale 9.6 floorstander
  • Logitech Squeezebox + Marantz PM5004 + Boston Acoustics A26 bookshelf speakers
  • Set up a secondary system when I was posted to J&K (I was a colonel in the army then) Logitech Squeezebox +Topping Tp20 + JBL Control one bookshelf
IMG_3004.jpgIMG_2998.jpg
  • Sold everything off when I moved to the US
  • Came back and restarted with Logitech Squeezebox + Cambridge Audio CA351a + Wharfedale 121 bookshelf
  • Added a Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer to it.
  • Replaced Squeezebox with Cambridge Audio CXN v2 + Cambridge Audio CA351a + Wharfedale 121 bookshelf + Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer
  • Now I'm here:
  • Cambridge Audio CXN v2 + Acoustic Portrait Swara v2 Integrated amp + Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2 + Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-23 at 9.33.40 AM.jpeg

I visited AP at Jayanagar and met Siva, based on a few inputs here about the amplifiers that could potentially support Elac B5.2s.
Had a decent audition there, I had carried my speakers with me. They sounded much better with the AP Swara, so decided to replace my CA351a.

I received the amplifier with added pre outs (though haven't connected them yet, still on line level) for my subwoofer a couple of days ago, and actually got the time to set it all up last night, along with a nice beer.

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-23 at 9.33.40 AM (1).jpeg

Build:
Walnut wood front panel is unique and a conversation starter on Indian electronics design. I really like it, makes me feel proud of this being Indian!
Solid build, there is only one button on the front for power 'on/off'(though the button looks like typically Indian electronic part), with a LED blue light indicator. It is very strong and painful to the eye, so I'm putting a translucent tape on it.
The volume knob is also solid, and motorized - it works with a remote - and I found that even my CXN v2 remote is able to control the volume knob, so that is a bonus!
There are three input connections and a simple LED indicator on the front panel to show what is connected at the moment(does not show digits, only a different light for each input).
I have a pre-out added to the back panel for my subwoofer, cost me a bit extra. All connectors are gold plated and solid, high quality. The amp body itself is heavy and solid feel to it.
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-23 at 9.33.41 AM.jpeg

There is a basic remote which feels low end soundbar type, on which only the source and volume buttons work - others, power, 'f'(?) and mute are not functional, which I think is a let down for such a great amp. A better remote would add to the value of this already great amp!

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-23 at 9.34.20 AM.jpeg

Performance:
After owning Wharfedales for a long time, I thought they were too warm for my liking, and so Elacs seemed the right choice for their transparency, while bass was not really an issue since I am using a subwoofer in any case.
All my music is FLAC format on my hard disc - playing via the internal DAC(Wolfson WM8740) in the CXN v2, moved on from CDs a long time ago.
I played the following tracks/ music:
  • Arne Domnerus - a couple of tracks from the album 'Jazz at the Pawnshop'.
  • Dire Straits - 'Private Investigations', 'Brothers in Arms' and 'Ride Across the River'
  • AR Rahman songs from Roja, Dil Se and Taal.
  • A couple of Grateful Dead songs - 'Truckin' etc
  • Willie Nelson and Patsy Cline versions of 'Crazy'
  • Eagles - 'Hotel California' live version
It was an amazing experience. Great soundstage, I could blindly pinpoint each instrument playing in front of me, especially during Arne Domnerous, AR Rahman songs. I could actually hear fingers on the guitar strings and the background cymbals(?) in the jazz numbers.
CA351a also gave me a similar experience, but the depth was missing. This sounded more full. The sound of a Saxophone was absolutely fantastic and that memory kept coming back to me again and again even after I'd switched off my session!
The Swara amp looks like the right choice to match with the Elac B5.2s/ 6.2s, especially the way it transmits the full sound without being overtly warm, and rounds off the highs as well, but makes sure you hear them!
I think an equivalent foreign amp would be in the range of 1 to1.5 lakhs, or more - only a comparison can tell.

Disclaimer - as you can see from my previous hifi equipment, I have not gone for extremely expensive stuff since
1. Can't afford to spend too much;
2 - What you experience will always be limited by the room/ speaker placement and ability to set up a dedicated and isolated listening room(which I can't for the moment);
3 - Your ears ( I have partial hearing loss in the mid frequencies from my army days of serving on the line of control and exposure to loud shelling noises, so even the best of equipment won't let me hear everything!).

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-23 at 9.33.42 AM.jpeg

Keeping the above in mind, I'm making the best of what's possible.
Next - I'm going to try treating the wall behind the speakers a little bit, play with speaker placement etc for improving SQ.

Overall, Acoustic Portrait Swara is a great amp, worth much more than what you pay for it, if you are in it for the musicality and experience of listening without the bells and whistles (that you don't use in any case, after the thrill of setting up is gone!). Totally recommended.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-07-23 at 9.33.40 AM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-23 at 9.33.40 AM (1).jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I have not seen an Acoustic Portrait Swara integrated amp review on this forum and having bought this one recently, am sharing my views on it.

As a background, I started this hifi journey with a Sony home theatre(!) with Bose 161 speakers attached.
View attachment 70804
  • Logitech Squeezebox + Marantz PM5004 + Boston Acoustics A26 bookshelf speakers
  • Set up a secondary system when I was posted to J&K (I was a colonel in the army then) Logitech Squeezebox +Topping Tp20 + JBL Control one bookshelf
View attachment 70800View attachment 70802
  • Came back and restarted with Logitech Squeezebox + Cambridge Audio CA351a + Wharfedale 121 bookshelf
  • Replaced Squeezebox with Cambridge Audio CXN v2 + Cambridge Audio CA351a + Wharfedale 121 bookshelf + Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer
  • Now I'm here:
  • Cambridge Audio CXN v2 + Acoustic Portrait Swara v2 Integrated amp + Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2 + Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer
View attachment 70803

I visited AP at Jayanagar and met Siva, based on a few inputs here about the amplifiers that could potentially support Elac B5.2s.
Had a decent audition there, I had carried my speakers with me. They sounded much better with the AP Swara, so decided to replace my CA351a.

I received the amplifier with added pre outs (though haven't connected them yet, still on line level) for my subwoofer a couple of days ago, and actually got the time to set it all up last night, along with a nice beer.

View attachment 70807

Build:
Walnut wood front panel is unique and a conversation starter on Indian electronics design. I really like it, makes me feel proud of this being Indian!
Solid build, there is only one button on the front for power 'on/off'(though the button looks like typically Indian electronic part), with a LED blue light indicator. It is very strong and painful to the eye, so I'm putting a translucent tape on it.
The volume knob is also solid, and motorized - it works with a remote - and I found that even my CXN v2 remote is able to control the volume knob, so that is a bonus!
There are three input connections and a simple LED indicator on the front panel to show what is connected at the moment(does not show digits, only a different light for each input).
I have a pre-out added to the back panel for my subwoofer, cost me a bit extra. All connectors are gold plated and solid, high quality. The amp body itself is heavy and solid feel to it.
View attachment 70808

There is a basic remote which feels low end soundbar type, on which only the source and volume buttons work - others, power, 'f'(?) and mute are not functional, which I think is a let down for such a great amp. A better remote would add to the value of this already great amp!

View attachment 70809

Performance:
After owning Wharfedales for a long time, I thought they were too warm for my liking, and so Elacs seemed the right choice for their transparency, while bass was not really an issue since I am using a subwoofer in any case.
All my music is FLAC format on my hard disc - playing via the internal DAC(Wolfson WM8740) in the CXN v2, moved on from CDs a long time ago.
  • Dire Straits - 'Private Investigations', 'Brothers in Arms' and 'Ride Across the River'
It was an amazing experience. Great soundstage, I could blindly pinpoint each instrument playing in front of me, especially during Arne Domnerous, AR Rahman songs. I could actually hear fingers on the guitar strings and the background cymbals(?) in the jazz numbers.
CA351a also gave me a similar experience, but the depth was missing. This sounded more full. The sound of a Saxophone was absolutely fantastic and that memory kept coming back to me again and again even after I'd switched off my session!
The Swara amp looks like the right choice to match with the Elac B5.2s/ 6.2s, especially the way it transmits the full sound without being overtly warm, and rounds off the highs as well, but makes sure you hear them!
I think an equivalent foreign amp would be in the range of 1 to1.5 lakhs, or more - only a comparison can tell.

Disclaimer - as you can see from my previous hifi equipment, I have not gone for extremely expensive stuff since
2 - What you experience will always be limited by the room/ speaker placement and ability to set up a dedicated and isolated listening room(which I can't for the moment);
3 - Your ears ( I have partial hearing loss in the mid frequencies from my army days of serving on the line of control and exposure to loud shelling noises, so even the best of equipment won't let me hear everything!).

View attachment 70806

Next - I'm going to try treating the wall behind the speakers a little bit, play with speaker placement etc for improving SQ.

Overall, Acoustic Portrait Swara is a great amp, worth much more than what you pay for it, if you are in it for the musicality and experience of listening without the bells and whistles (that you don't use in any case, after the thrill of setting up is gone!). Totally recommended.
Hi colonel sir....only a captain here :D

Sorry to hear of your partial hearing loss. But iam mostly and completely deaf, as can be seen in my signature :D

Thanks for sharing your impressions. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your post :)

Last edited:
Congrats!! Thanks for sharing your impressions. I have AP swara pre and power bought close to three years back. Certainly they perform way above their price point

This remote is way better than junk remotes that Chinese brands like Topping, Gustard etc ship with at any price point.

View attachment 70804
View attachment 70800View attachment 70802
  • Now I'm here:
View attachment 70803

View attachment 70807

Build:
View attachment 70808

View attachment 70809

Performance:

View attachment 70806

Thanks for a detailed review. Do you find the Acoustic Portrait slightly over priced compared to Indian brands. Example Norge 1000 which is 100 watts per channel is priced at INR 15500 whereas the AP amp is at about INR 63000. Even their tube buffer is at INR 24 k whereas the Xduoo tube preamp with GE tube replacement cost me under INR 10k. So the question is more like does the performance also jumps 2 fold or 4 fold as and when price jumps ?

Thanks for a detailed review. Do you find the Acoustic Portrait slightly over priced compared to Indian brands. Example Norge 1000 which is 100 watts per channel is priced at INR 15500 whereas the AP amp is at about INR 63000. Even their tube buffer is at INR 24 k whereas the Xduoo tube preamp with GE tube replacement cost me under INR 10k. So the question is more like does the performance also jumps 2 fold or 4 fold as and when price jumps ?
I would tend to say no, because I have used a Norge 1000, and comparing external build quality between the two, AP is much better. Internal components are claimed to be the best quality as can be seen on their website, having met the manufacturers, I would tend to believe that from the pride in the way they explained it. Also, SQ and soundstage etc is way better than Norge, from my memory. Though I think a like to like comparison with rest of the equipment staying the same would suggest a definitive answer.

I would tend to say no, because I have used a Norge 1000, and comparing external build quality between the two, AP is much better. Internal components are claimed to be the best quality as can be seen on their website, having met the manufacturers, I would tend to believe that from the pride in the way they explained it. Also, SQ and soundstage etc is way better than Norge, from my memory. Though I think a like to like comparison with rest of the equipment staying the same would suggest a definitive answer.
Since you have used both, you are best placed to answer this. Thanks

Do you find the Acoustic Portrait slightly over priced compared to Indian brands. Example Norge 1000 which is 100 watts per channel is priced at INR 15500 whereas the AP amp is at about INR 63000. Even their tube buffer is at INR 24 k whereas the Xduoo tube preamp with GE tube replacement cost me under INR 10k. So the question is more like does the performance also jumps 2 fold or 4 fold as and when price jumps ?
Have a heart buddy. What kind of comparison are you trying to make!

My apologies, I didn't know that AP was that superior to Norge. I usually try to question perceived value vs actual value and if performance really jumps X times similar to price jump :)
That's a very interesting question, really. Looking at it from a quality vs cost perspective, we know that it is not a linear relationship. As cost increases beyond a point, quality does not increase proportionally. That being said Im not saying that Acoustic Portrait is in that range but when I compare with Norge, I think it definitely would be at least 3X improvement. That brings the price to around 45-50K. But since there are hardly any other Indian manufacturers in this quality range, they can ask for a premium. I may be wrong but AP would be better than the similarly priced foreign amps in the 60-70K range..

That's a very interesting question, really. Looking at it from a quality vs cost perspective, we know that it is not a linear relationship. As cost increases beyond a point, quality does not increase proportionally. That being said Im not saying that Acoustic Portrait is in that range but when I compare with Norge, I think it definitely would be at least 3X improvement. That brings the price to around 45-50K. But since there are hardly any other Indian manufacturers in this quality range, they can ask for a premium. I may be wrong but AP would be better than the similarly priced foreign amps in the 60-70K range..
Thanks you are right. It’s always interesting to ask ppl particularly if they can respond objectively like you do. One of the most stark / contrasting example that I can think of in this regard is Apple TV ( 15k +) vs the new Google Chromecast (~4-5k). Both show Netflix in atmos / Dolby vision yet one demands a huge premium because it probably does something slightly better than the other. I am a fan of the iPhone / Apple Watch and ipad but the moment it comes to Apple TV my perceived value drops significantly.
I am quite sure that in the audio world this must be quite rampant.
My first integrated amp was a Norge 2060 (INR 9k ) which was followed by Rotel (INR 50k). I noticed the difference in sound - more layered, separation, refined etc but the question of whether it was 5x more superior to the Norge remained. Perhaps it’s an incorrect comparison but the questions remain 😀

Thanks you are right. It’s always interesting to ask ppl particularly if they can respond objectively like you do. One of the most stark / contrasting example that I can think of in this regard is Apple TV ( 15k +) vs the new Google Chromecast (~4-5k). Both show Netflix in atmos / Dolby vision yet one demands a huge premium because it probably does something slightly better than the other. I am a fan of the iPhone / Apple Watch and ipad but the moment it comes to Apple TV my perceived value drops significantly.
I am quite sure that in the audio world this must be quite rampant.
My first integrated amp was a Norge 2060 (INR 9k ) which was followed by Rotel (INR 50k). I noticed the difference in sound - more layered, separation, refined etc but the question of whether it was 5x more superior to the Norge remained. Perhaps it’s an incorrect comparison but the questions remain 😀
Value is in the eyes of the beholder. For example, I had an MiTV 4x 65" after which i got myself an LG G1 Oled. Is the OLED 5x better than my MiTV which was 1/5th the price? Now that is an abstract which would differ from person to person. For me, it is an emphatic "no". On the other hand, cinephiles probably see immense value in it. Similarly, is a Mercedes S Class 15 times better than a Maruti Ciaz? Both are only capable of carrying 5 people at most legally and it is not that the Mercedes is 15 times as fast either. But there is no denying that it does most things better and there are people who value those improvements to shell out the considerable premium that it commands. Unfortunately, few things ever scale in a linear manner, especially when we are talking qualitative improvements as opposed to quantitative.

Value is in the eyes of the beholder. For example, I had an MiTV 4x 65" after which i got myself an LG G1 Oled. Is the OLED 5x better than my MiTV which was 1/5th the price? Now that is an abstract which would differ from person to person. For me, it is an emphatic "no". On the other hand, cinephiles probably see immense value in it. Similarly, is a Mercedes S Class 15 times better than a Maruti Ciaz? Both are only capable of carrying 5 people at most legally and it is not that the Mercedes is 15 times as fast either. But there is no denying that it does most things better and there are people who value those improvements to shell out the considerable premium that it commands. Unfortunately, few things ever scale in a linear manner, especially when we are talking qualitative improvements as opposed to quantitative.
Absolutely well said. My issue was that I did not think of AP being in the Merc/ BMW class and Norge was in the Maruti class. I had bracketed both of them in the same class.

The assumption that there aren't any other Indian brands is unfounded and naive.

My apologies, I didn't know that AP was that superior to Norge.
No need for apologies. It takes time to understand the nuances in music. I was into the audio hobby for long time and was happily living with basic Sony 5 carousal CDP & Denon integrated mated to vintage Kenwood speakers for more than a decade, blissfully unaware of what the hifi fuss is all about. Then hifivision happened and rest is history. It gave me opportunities to not only interact on the forum but also meet fellow audio buffs who were much more knowledgeable and owning great sounding setups. Only then could I realise what I was missing all those years.
I usually try to question perceived value vs actual value and if performance really jumps X times similar to price jump :)
Yes you should but listening is more of perception than maths. So it will never work that way.

No need for apologies. It takes time to understand the nuances in music. I was into the audio hobby for long time and was happily living with basic Sony 5 carousal CDP & Denon integrated mated to vintage Kenwood speakers for more than a decade, blissfully unaware of what the hifi fuss is all about. Then hifivision happened and rest is history. It gave me opportunities to not only interact on the forum but also meet fellow audio buffs who were much more knowledgeable and owning great sounding setups. Only then could I realise what I was missing all those years.

Yes you should but listening is more of perception than maths. So it will never work that way.
I too went from Sony 1,000 W PMPO kind of deck to Norge to Marantz to Rotel / Pioneer/ Denon/ Emotiva/ Audioquest and from cheap speakers to Monitor Audio/ Wharfedale/ Elac etc only to realize that I had become obsessed with spending on equipment rather than listening to music. I now realize that it doesnt take much to enjoy a Hemant Kumar / Bob Dylan. Earlier I was closer to music with the Sony (not much to tweak). One cassette of Roja or Bombay or ABBA used to last for weeks or months- listening to every nuance in each track.
Now with a room full of equipment I find myself asking for more- equipment- speakers- room treatment and by the time room treatment is done it is time to think of a new DAC !
I know I have digressed from the main topic but just adding my 2 cents :)

I too went from Sony 1,000 W PMPO kind of deck to Norge to Marantz to Rotel / Pioneer/ Denon/ Emotiva/ Audioquest and from cheap speakers to Monitor Audio/ Wharfedale/ Elac etc only to realize that I had become obsessed with spending on equipment rather than listening to music. I now realize that it doesnt take much to enjoy a Hemant Kumar / Bob Dylan. Earlier I was closer to music with the Sony (not much to tweak). One cassette of Roja or Bombay or ABBA used to last for weeks or months- listening to every nuance in each track.
Now with a room full of equipment I find myself asking for more- equipment- speakers- room treatment and by the time room treatment is done it is time to think of a new DAC !
I know I have digressed from the main topic but just adding my 2 cents :)
I had gone slow on listening to music in recent times, but upgraditis and newfound sound quality with that is helping me get back into it. I never listen to music on headphones or earphones via the phone, the worst I do is Spotify in the mornings, when I want to read the newspaper before office hours.

If you measure the performance of your music system using a simple parameter called " system's ability to evoke happiness " you will never go wrong. The key to success to this approach also involves knowledge ( practical if possible) about various types of audio gear and their potential to help you in this journey.

About Acoustic portrait. This is a niche brand building audio gear using very high end practices in India. Not to be confused with mainstream brands. I went from Nad amplfier to Odyssey audio seperates 17 years ago and then to Acoustic Portrait seperates 14 years ago. I moved to other gear because I move to the low power amp / high efficiency speaker camp. A full AP system ( active ) can equal the performance of extremely high end systems.

I too went from Sony 1,000 W PMPO kind of deck to Norge to Marantz to Rotel / Pioneer/ Denon/ Emotiva/ Audioquest and from cheap speakers to Monitor Audio/ Wharfedale/ Elac etc only to realize that I had become obsessed with spending on equipment rather than listening to music. I now realize that it doesnt take much to enjoy a Hemant Kumar / Bob Dylan.
That realisation dawns upon some of us, me included. After quite a bit of churning, I'm quite happy now with a Paradigm Streamer & Newprime STA9 feeding my DIY Speakers. The Marantz CDP doesn't usually gets powered up even.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back