Cambridge Audio 840a v2
Jamo Concert 8

New Items to Shootout
Triode Wire Labs 7+ Power Cable
Furutech e tp80 power strip
Triode Wire Labs 7+ Digital > Allo Shanti LPSU > WIIM Mini Streamer
Custom AD1862 DAC / CHORD Qutest
Acrotec 6N-A2050 Interconnects / DIY IC with Eichmann bullet clone connectors
Naim Supernait 3 / Lyrita Audio 2a3 SET / Yogibears DIY 6bg6 SET Tube amp (1.25L INR)
Supra Ply 3.4 speaker cable / DIY Speaker cable
Jamo Concert 8 / Dynaudio Confidence C1 Mk II

For many years I’ve been annoyed with how content from before the mid 80’s have this certain “cold/flat” signature to them on any device I heard them on. From James bond movies to Micheal Jackson thriller, and Billie jean songs, and Indian songs as well. Others may disagree, but to me, it’s always been an annoyance. For most of my music journey, which actively started in 2009, it never really occurred to me that there was something I could do about it. I always figured it’s just the recording itself as the same cold/flatness was there on any source or recording I played such content on. At the end of the day, I was never truly satisfied with this outcome. Fast forward to 2023,I decided to upgrade my sound and decided to see if there was something I could do about it.

As you can see above in the list, I got my hands on some pretty cool gear this year. I mixed up the chain and listened to various combinations for extended periods and finally split the chains up to meet two objectives, one chain for listening to music without that flatness, another chain for reference grade sound which would reveal whatever the recording was meant to sound like.

Chain 1
Triode Wire Labs 7+ Power Cable
Triode Wire Labs 7+ Digital > Allo Shanti LPSU > WIIM Mini Streamer
CHORD Qutest
DIY IC with Eichmann bullet clone connectors
Naim Supernait 3
Supra Ply 3.4 speaker cable
Dynaudio Confidence C1 Mk II

Chain 2
Furutech e tp80 power strip
WIIM Mini Streamer
Custom AD1862 DAC
Acrotec 6N-A2050 Interconnects
DIY Speaker Cable
Yogibears DIY 6bg6 SET Tube amp
Supra Ply 3.4 speaker cable.
Jamo Concert 8

Outliers
Halide Dac HD with Eichmann Bullets (Kept for its uniqueness)
Lyrita Audio 2a3 (Up for sale)
Cambridge Audio 840a v2 (Up for sale)

Results:
Chain 1:
Great balanced rich full sound. The Qutest and Naim SN3 combo on the jamos were not a satisfying combination. They were both a bit too crisp and forward with the jamos which in itself has a tendency to be revealing of everything on the chain and unforgiving. Too much of the same, not balanced.. However with the C1 everything fell into place. Music felt natural, nuanced and very well balanced. In fact any genre of music I played sounded natural. The c1 gets all the credit here. If anything it reminds me of harbeth compact 7 on steroids. More accurate, faster, tighter, just as natural, and able to handle nuance better. It delivers a fantastic natural rendition of whatever content you play. In some regards it sounds as good as much more expensive setups I’ve heard. However the c1, SN3, and qutest are not quite at the level of 100k USD gear performance of revealing the ultra fine details. Which should not be surprising given this chain sits around 15k USD in terms of original price points. In other words it sounds exactly what you’d imagine a setup of that price bracket should sound like. Which was not the case when hooked up to the Jamo Concert 8.

Chain 2:
This chain is all about the synergy between the DIY AD1862 DAC, Jamo Concert 8, and Yogibear’s DIY 6BG6 SET 7 watts each channel, dual MonoBlock tube amp in particular. I’ve heard the Jamo Concert 8 on various amplifiers over the last decade and I’ve always known I’m not hearing what it’s capable of. I think the best vocals I’ve ever heard from it was on the Lyrita 2a3 SET + ad1862, sweet and beautiful, not tube or solid state like. AD1862+SN3+Concert 8 combo gave a similar, more transparent but flatter performance, without the sweetness. This made me realize how well voiced Virens Lyrita 2a3 truly is. Not an easy feat. Unfortunately neither of these two combos were reaching the goal I set out for this chain. To bring evident body to old recordings through the Jamo Concert 8, The c1 is without a doubt a higher caliber speaker and gave a meaty well balanced performance, but my goal here was to get the best sound out of the Concert 8, because it’s something I’ve wanted to hear for 12 years. Chain 1 was definitely very close to the kind of performance I was seeking and exceeding it in some regards, it sounded like a 15k USD setup by all accounts, but something in me gravitated around the Jamo concert 8. Around Sep/Oct I got my hands on Yogibears 6bg6 (similar to 807 tube but with top anode plate) Tamura Power Transformers and Hashimoto H 507S Output Transformers based pure Class A full dual monoblock power amp in single chassis with individual gain controls. My initial impression after turning on the amp and playing at low volume was actually very underwhelming, harsh, unrefined, flat - I hated it. However Yogi said to be patient and let the NOS Soviet military grade tubes burn in for at least 50-100 hours. So I let the amp play. That night I went to bed thinking this amp was a gone case and I would need to return it or well be forced to sell it. For about 2 days I played the amp on and off. Paid no serious attention. On the 3rd day, I noticed I was hearing something different. I turned up the volume, my reaction was kind of like……“hmm” I was questioning what I was hearing. The harshness was gone, and what remained was… a sound I had never heard before. It was thick, rich, lush, dynamic, organic, nimble. But something was still off the mids and lower mids had the body but was missing the definition. Yogi said to switch from the 4 ohms tap to 8 ohms even though my speakers are rated 4. Something about transformer saturation. After doing so, I was in disbelief what I was hearing. It was as if classic songs suddenly got plucked from the past and transported into the present. If Chain 1 was a lion, this chain was a tiger. I had never heard the Concert 8 roar into life like this. The highs were smooth, and mids - liquid, bass going down to subwoofer levels. With some of the other setups I needed to use a rel subwoofer but since this amp had no sub out, it was pure stereo, and what a stereo it was! Even my cabinet glass started to rattle from the lows. But that wasn't the interesting part, the most interesting thing to me was classic songs from the pre 80s didn't sound old on it. I was listening to what I was in search of for so many years. I’ve heard other tubes amps priced much higher than yogis 6bg6, but none of them sounded like this, It somewhat reminded me of KT88 and gm70 tube amps, it sounds BIG, but without the hardness of kt88 and more refined than the gm70, a bit gentler, notes linger in the air a little longer. Every time I was playing a track with parts which on other setups are often unbearable at high volumes, including chain 1, I would squint my eyes to get ready to be assaulted, but on chain 2, that assault never happens, instead of being hit by the wave, I was riding the wave. It may not have the transparency and clarity of much more expensive setups, but I wasn’t looking for that, I was looking for something out of a dream, something that doesn’t exist. Something like a time machine. And this amp was doing exactly that, it was transporting me in time to an experience that never existed. According to yogibear (Who likes to make diy stuff as a hobby) he said he was sad to let this amp go and missed its sound. I can understand why. And how lucky I am to be the recipient of such a killer amp, something that makes real something out of imagination. Yogi said everything is point to point wired with top quality parts viz Nichicon KZ, Wima MKP10, Vishaya, Ohmite, Sikorel and that he was playing around with the amplifier to bring out the maximum sonics and tonality of the tubes rather than the components affecting the sound. I had a look under the hood and he wasn’t kidding, there’s practically nothing in the amp, tubes transformers, wires and a few small parts. I love minimalist designs and I approve.

20231011_120513.jpg20231011_121228.jpg

It has been a couple of months now, I’ve pushed about 200 hours on the amp, It has been a journey of rediscovering old songs I’d avoid because I hated how flat they sounded on everything. For the first time in my life I could enjoy classic and very old songs in a fullness and fluidity that makes it feels as if the music has been pulled from the past and into the present. For the first time it feels like an experience and not “listening to music for the sake of it”. The experience is visceral. In place of hyper detailing there is tactile information. In the track hotel California which so many are familiar with. I can make out the tactile motion of the guitarist moving his hands in a circular motion. This is something I have not experienced in any setup, anywhere, even setups at 100k USD.

After the initial euphoria of old music sounding like it's in the present faded after a month or so. I tested the chains with some modern songs and this is probably where my AD1862 DAC drew the line more than the amp. I can make out the AD1862 lacks the ability to reveal all the information in modern recordings. However where it excels is the ability to deliver what it can deliver - in a very tactile, material, revealing way. Which is something I don’t find easily with modern DACS unless one spends 2-3x more. Funnily enough I hooked up the Qutest from chain 1 to chain 2 and something strange happened. The grand scale of music diminished, and in typical Qutest fashion, it revealed a reference grade, high resolution, dynamic sound. In a way taming the tube amp. This made me realize how important synergy is, and that synergy matters. And that means my Jamo Concert 8 will forever be paired to this 6bg6 power amp until the day we are parted.

So now, when I want reference grade sound I listen to chain 1, and when I need some escapism, I listen to chain 2.
Hope this review helps others on their audio journey.

received_7088303891231212.jpeg20231016_214334.jpg
20231016_214444.jpg
20231022_193013.jpg
20231114_150457.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the writeup Samir. But a picture under the hood would have been better than 1000 words - for me.

Samir,
What I can see from the images posted are,
- the output tubes are very close to the transformer/ chokes and could affect the tubes negatively Being a wooden enclosure, it cannot block flux lekages
- solid state rectification is used as I don't see any rectifier tubes in the images

Those are Tamura power transformers in well ventilated wooden enclosures.

Chokes are under the chassis.

What’s wrong with SS rectification Hari ? You should listen to this amp for its explosive dynamics… and fluidity.

This amp is a heavenly marriage of all parts as I can summarize it….

Samir,
What I can see from the images posted are,
- the output tubes are very close to the transformer/ chokes and could affect the tubes negatively Being a wooden enclosure, it cannot block flux lekages
- solid state rectification is used as I don't see any rectifier tubes in the images
I had the same concern so i opened and checked and found the transformer is actually not edge to edge inside the wooden cover, there is actually some distance inside the wooden cube.

Those are Tamura power transformers in well ventilated wooden enclosures.

Chokes are under the chassis.

What’s wrong with SS rectification Hari ? You should listen to this amp for its explosive dynamics… and fluidity.

This amp is a heavenly marriage of all parts as I can summarize it….
Nothing wrong. Top end is always tube rectification. I can think of speed as an issue with SS rectification.

Wooden enclosure won't block flux. It should be steel.

Nothing wrong. Top end is always tube rectification. I can think of speed as an issue with SS rectification.

Wooden enclosure won't block flux. It should be steel.

It’s actually opposite with speed wrt rectification, so far my own experience tells me. ( I have dismantled as many amps I have made so far. Easy over a couple of dozen in last few years. Of course even his not enough with tubes. They can surprise you anyday ! )

Those Tamura transformers already have good shielding. Wooden enclosure gives them a nice look as I am die hard woody….

Nice writeup @corElement. Looks like you are having a lot of fun.

Kudos to @yogibear for the lovely Time Machine 6BG6 SET Monoblock.
The amp looks gorgeous. Very admirable that it could make the Concert 8 sing.
Would be interesting to see what the amp can do with other speakers.

Question for @yogibear - what speaker did you have in mind when designing the amp?
What would you think is an ideal speaker for the amp?

Nice writeup @corElement. Looks like you are having a lot of fun.

Kudos to @yogibear for the lovely Time Machine 6BG6 SET Monoblock.
The amp looks gorgeous. Very admirable that it could make the Concert 8 sing.
Would be interesting to see what the amp can do with other speakers.

Question for @yogibear - what speaker did you have in mind when designing the amp?
What would you think is an ideal speaker for the amp?

Nikhil, I had some nice iron and it took a while to plan a perfect amp around them and 807 / 6BG6 tube came to my mind.

What finally came into existence was a neat dual monoblock design under the hood and it surprised me at the very first voicing. I had no speakers in my mind but the amp had astonishing gain and was able to drive my 2 way 88dB bookshelf with ease.

In fact with his own speakers, Rahul has asked a couple of times if we can lower the gain on the amp, which is actually opposite of what every one desires, at least from tube amps. I also told him that with this amp you would never feel the need of a sub and this actually happened…

Yes, I would like to visit Rahul someday and do a trick or two with the amp, which may take it to another level and widen its ability to drive almost any speaker.

With tube amps, the sensitivity of bookshelves is never the issue, but the impedance plot of the speakers makes the real difference as poor impedance plot gets reflected in the primary of the output transformers and hence costs the ability of tubes to deliver the power and bandwidth.

As such the above amp is quite fine delivering 7 watts per channel and with right speakers you would never need to get past 20% gain…

With tube amps, the sensitivity of bookshelves is never the issue, but the impedance plot of the speakers makes the real difference as poor impedance plot gets reflected in the primary of the output transformers and hence costs the ability of tubes to deliver the power and bandwidth.

Could you please expand on this some more?
@corElement apologies if this is OT to your original discussion.

Right here on our forum:

Consider a single ended Tube amplifier 5 to 12 watts per channel vs a solid state amplifier rated 60-150 watts per channel.

Compared to solid state amplifiers, tube amplifiers are coupled to speakers through output transformers which have primary say 5k ohm impedance and a secondary with 4 ohms and 8 ohms speaker taps.

Now over the audible frequency band of 20hz to 20khz, the speakers do not have a flat resistance even though they are rated at say 8 ohms. Now consider a speaker connected to the 8 ohm tap of the tube amplifier output transformer and at some frequency it dips as low as just 3 ohms. This 3 ohm impedance gets reflected in the primary of the output transformer which will now show an impedance of lower than 2.5k as opposed to 5k which is now not an ideal primary load the power output tube sees. Hence both power and frequency of the tube amp suffers and it may even sound distorted. So it’s NOT the sensitivity of the speaker but how linear resistance it poses to the tube amp throughout the audible bandwidth, is what matters. Well measured speakers do state how low they dip in the impedance and that decides if they are good enough for a tube amp or they are more suited to SS amps which have much higher power ratings. ( But that again is not a good situation for SS amps as well)

It’s sometimes wiser to drive a set of speakers from 4 ohm tap of tube amps but I personally don’t like that as now the output transformer core is half utilized and you don’t get the true magic of the OPT.

It’s not impossible to design a tube amp with a single 8 ohm output tap and make it able to drive 4 to 8 ohm speakers from the same very tap without any significant sacrifice of power and frequency bandwidth. My next builds will hopefully address that.

However if your tube amp is able to drive your speakers well, the real beauty of tube amps lies in the fact that they play the speakers quite loud at just a fraction of the gain and you get the full bodied sound just at the onset of a fraction of a first single watt, with no dearth of low end extension. This has been my own personal experience as well with all my builds. (I don’t know what a subwoofer is. I would never need it)

Sorry for the long post. I could not help it…

Hi @yogibear

Is there a functional reason to put the connectors on the top plate instead of on the wooden chassis? To me this kinda spoils the clean look of the amp.

Also what are those two knobs on the top?

Hi @yogibear

Is there a functional reason to put the connectors on the top plate instead of on the wooden chassis? To me this kinda spoils the clean look of the amp.

Also what are those two knobs on the top?
The two knobs are individual volume controls for each channel.

I place the rca input jacks nearest to the volume control knobs and the driver stage tubes.

The speaker output terminals are nearest to the black Hashimoto output transformers.

The layout may not appeal to all but are shortest distance from the point of origin / input and no interference of any kind from power supply lines or among themselves.

I can play a little to make them neater but not much else it will amount to crossing paths with power supply lines and it always shows up in sonics in one way or other.

If you notice the amp from top, it’s fully dual monoblock design and divided in two halves, top and bottom. The top part is power supply part including the power tubes, power socket at top end and lower half which includes signal input and signal output path.

All three paths, never cross each other.

When I sat down to build this amp, my complete focus was on soundness of electrical path underneath the chassis, least or no interference from each other, minimal distortion and maximum sonics from the tubes. And of course a presentable and symmetrical layout on the top.

In my future builds I will try to address the ergonomics on the top, without sacrificing the important aspects underneath.

No images of the inside.

Even branded amplifiers are now forced to show what is inside now-a-days

This thread posted in Review section. Hence asking.

Last edited:
No images of the inside.

Even branded amplifiers are now forced to show what is inside now-a-days

This thread posted in Review section. Hence asking.
Hari, its capacitor coupled amplifier and you as an Amp Designer can very well guess the topology just from the top plate.

However I will share details on another amp, I have some pictures handy. The top of the amp:

IMG_0939.jpeg

The underside:

IMG_0938.jpeg

It was a very special amplifier with total number of 9 pcs of iron. It’s an interstage coupled EL84 Push Pull amp which made 12 watts per channel with sound signature of single ended and power rating of a push pull. It was tube rectified with 6SN7 at the driver stage. Despite minimal components and intensive iron, it was my most tiring build.

The design had inputs from Lynn Olson Sir. And it had a special sound signature. And it was certainly not my neat build under the chassis. I was too tired to make it neater…. Or plan around it.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back