crossover rebuild help

krell

i would like build my existing onkyo scepter 3way spekers with better components. i dont want to disturb the oreginal crossover. i will bring my crossover along with me , is any one/shop can draw the plain drawing for crossover in chennai?so that i can build it on the mdf sheet with upgraded components. if i didnt like, i can go back.here is the crossover for reference.100_4982.jpg

i would like build my existing onkyo scepter 3way spekers with better components. i dont want to disturb the oreginal crossover. i will bring my crossover along with me , is any one/shop can draw the plain drawing for crossover in chennai?so that i can build it on the mdf sheet with upgraded components. if i didnt like, i can go back.here is the crossover for reference.View attachment 33260
You should be good only replacing the Electrolytic capacitors. Replacing other components are not required and you may not find any benefits. It will just give you a placebo effect..

Yes,its the same model,they are amazing.its high end spectra series 4way.i am rebuilding it,once ready i will post complete review.i had jbl 4333/L300 so i can compare both.
These are excellent speakers.will post review once all works complete.

Last edited:
If you are in Chennai, you can seek the help of Mr Syed (service engineer).
His contact number is 9840158607

Actually the components look in find condition. If you are not listening to any changes in the music presentation in terms of the frequency response, I would advice not to tinkle with anything.

Thanks for inputs,actually after 30yrs,the elect caps may drift its values ,hence planning to change.
Moreover i would like to replace elect caps with pp

You can try the active crossover. Minidsp and Behringer have affordable active crossover modules.
Thanks, i have dbx 2way active crossover, once settle with settings i will try minidsp.

I recently upgraded my Magnepan 1.7's Crossover capacitors, and it made a world of difference. Made a temporary box for it to house it in. Still need to line it up properly and then solder. These caps seem to deteriote over time so upgrading them will turn your speakers sound as good as new. Kept the same inductor and vola, more clarity and tighter bass. also rewired the connector's with copper wires getting rid of the old cables. Highly recommended and worth the effort. Smallpic.jpg

Yah,same idea,but i need to keep the oreginal as it is.wanted to build on cardboard,so need schematic.hence looking for a person who can make a schematic with existing crossover

Checked google but hardly any info on the crossovers. If you want you can do the schematic yourself with a simple multi-meter. The caps should have their values printed on them so it should not be a problem. Inductors can be measured with a multi-meter. I had no clue when i started but eventually figured it out how to do that. The best part is you will have the perfect reference to copy with the existing crossover so just carefully follow what connects to what and connect it. If you posted this thread in DIY it might get more responses. Good luck.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back