Current drive from Integrated Amps to BS Loudspeakers

nn_in

FMs : I could not find a one complete post on this topic though its been discussed on some of the posts.

When selecting Integrated Amps (IAs) and Book Shelf/Standmounters Loudspeakers (BS) there is the tradeoff between IA power and BS depending on budget.
a. Hi sensitivity BS we can use lower power IA
b. Lo sensitivity BS we may need to use a comparatively hi power IA

What happen if one uses a hi-current sourcing amp and hi-sensitivity (89db upwards) BS . Does this mean we can better sound dynamics at a lower volume ?

Are there any specific demo's where folks have experienced this ?
I do understand most of time sound is about "it depends...."
Maybe western classical genre need a lot of headroom in the amp ?

Are there solid state low power hi current amps . I do read posts where some brands do have a much higher transient current delivery capability.

If my question is not correct moderator can delete the post.

Thanks.

Head room always help with the dynamics and ease of driving the speaker with ease i.e cleaner sound slightly lesser distortion. If Integrated were the holy frail of amplifiers nobody would even manufacture separates with huge dedicated mono block power amplifiers.When you keep the channels in monoblocks you get much lesser cross talk between the channels making it sound better.

Yes a low wattage amplifier can drive your speaker but a more powerful will do good but of course that depends on the speaker, music you listen to. When i listen to psytrance it has a constant bass line, non stop bass and i could tell a justifiable amount of difference between an intergratd and a dedicated power amplifier with more power.

From personal experience, I can only say that my low sensitivity monitors really benefited from a high current amp. I would also add that I consider sensitivity to be less of a factor compared to impedance and phase swings. Many speakers rated at say 6 ohms nominal will drop down to 3-4ohms. Mine would drop down to 3.5 ohms or so. And at low impedances is where the power supply of the amp takes a hammering - or starts choking up.

To put it another way, instead of the wattage or power output of the amp at 8ohm impedance, it might be a good idea to see if the power output doubles or nearly doubles when impedance halves. Or nearly so. And the amount of capacitance would indicate the burst power reserve for that amp - again not something directly indicated from the 8ohm power delivery spec.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back