Current leakage/noise in USB DAC

Rud31

I facing a peculiar issue here.
Issue:-> Whenever I use any USB DAC (iBasso DC02, Fiio M5, Fiio E18 Kunlun) with my laptop, when not in in use or powered on, I can hear a screeching noise akin to pink noise. Sometimes it's faint, sometimes perceptibly loud. When the device is powered on, it usually subsides. When laptop is unplugged/running on battery power, the noise goes away completely. I guess it's the laptop's PSU that's causing it but sometimes even when plugged in, the noise disappears. So when plugged in, 90% of the time the noise is there.
Now comes the worst part. If I use "metallic" earphones such as Blon BL05, I can feel electric current in my ears which ranges from ticklish to uncomfortable enough to take out earphones.
So I have gathered that it's a ground loop situation. Now need your practical suggestions regarding it's removal.

definitely grounding issues, try a different USB port or use some kind of galvanic isolation

There are some gadgets available which clean the USB output. Check ifi website

It's the plug point that's powering the laptop. Did you try another power point in the house? Check what else is on the power line, any heavy appliance or something that could be leaking current.

MaSh

It's the plug point that's powering the laptop. Did you try another power point in the house? Check what else is on the power line, any heavy appliance or something that could be leaking current.

MaSh
Laptop's PSU was connected to an extension board which was further connected to a Power Point. Connected the PSU to an individual in-wall supply point, still the same buzz/noise.
Can't go for ifi stuff as it's bit pricey and don't have budget for it at the moment.

Laptop's PSU was connected to an extension board which was further connected to a Power Point. Connected the PSU to an individual in-wall supply point, still the same buzz/noise.
Can't go for ifi stuff as it's bit pricey and don't have budget for it at the moment.
Oh okay. So you feel the laptop's charger is failing? Better to get a replacement, before it damages the laptop too.

MaSh

Oh okay. So you feel the laptop's charger is failing? Better to get a replacement, before it damages the laptop too.

MaSh
Yes and No. Last week, had to replace laptop's battery as the original one died after 5 years of usage. While fault finding that time, laptop charger as a source of issue was eliminated then. This ground loop issue had been going on for a while now, prior to battery failure. It's just that Blon's blew me away, not in a good kind of way. Plus the audiophile "keeda" causing the itch now to have maximal optimum output from whatever I have, has forced me to not ignore the issue anymore.

Yes and No. Last week, had to replace laptop's battery as the original one died after 5 years of usage. While fault finding that time, laptop charger as a source of issue was eliminated then. This ground loop issue had been going on for a while now, prior to battery failure. It's just that Blon's blew me away, not in a good kind of way. Plus the audiophile "keeda" causing the itch now to have maximal optimum output from whatever I have, has forced me to not ignore the issue anymore.
Ohh okay. Yes they are a very good pair of earphones. I recently picked up dc01 and fiio FH1. Although the purchase was by accident, thoroughly enjoying it.

MaSh

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back