Customs duty on LPS

blackscorpio

Friends,

I had ordered an LPS(Linear Power Supply) from aliexpress, sent through Aramex. The delivery guy was asking for Rs 1270 as custom duties, he didn't bring any paper reflecting the actual payment of customs by Aramex on my behalf. He just has one Aramex delivery confimation for my signature, on that it is specified the customs amount. I have looked at the paper work from the sender, the seller actually specified the actual value of the LPS that is $35 without the shipping.

When I asked the delivery guy about the customs receipt, he said he doesn't have. Then I spoke to the local delivery office, that manager said that delivery guy forgot and he offered to send me the receipt in whatsapp but he said he will need to about an 1 hour for the same, I am not sure why he would need 1 hour to send the reciept? fishy? Manager offered to send the parcel with the receipt tomorrow. I agreed.

does it look right? This is my first import. I have read that under Rs10k there will not be any customs.

Anything I can do now? or am I over reacting on false knowledge?

Thank you.

You can insist on the customs charge chalan for the exact amount that he is quoting. Usually from aliexpress I try to get via the China/Singapore posts which comes via our Indian PO and the postman always comes with the customs slip officially sealed and signed with the exact charges. 99% of the times it does not get charged if mailed via China/Singapore posts unless the items are fully built ones and also larger in size and value :)

But I think the LPSU which you got should be a fully built unit and also sent via the Aramex and they will go through the customs as an agent and that could also be the reason for customs charges. You could have opted for the China post with tracking and the only draw back I see is the delayed delivery which is fine I guess with the customs charges being levied is more of a hit or miss kind.

That's what I guessed, insist on the chalan.

First the seller tried to send it through the China post but he reported some problem with x-ray scanning at the post office and it was rejected. He asked me if he can send it through Aramex, unknowingly I agreed.

Friends,

I had ordered an LPS(Linear Power Supply) from aliexpress, sent through Aramex. The delivery guy was asking for Rs 1270 as custom duties, he didn't bring any paper reflecting the actual payment of customs by Aramex on my behalf. He just has one Aramex delivery confimation for my signature, on that it is specified the customs amount. I have looked at the paper work from the sender, the seller actually specified the actual value of the LPS that is $35 without the shipping.

When I asked the delivery guy about the customs receipt, he said he doesn't have. Then I spoke to the local delivery office, that manager said that delivery guy forgot and he offered to send me the receipt in whatsapp but he said he will need to about an 1 hour for the same, I am not sure why he would need 1 hour to send the reciept? fishy? Manager offered to send the parcel with the receipt tomorrow. I agreed.

does it look right? This is my first import. I have read that under Rs10k there will not be any customs.

Anything I can do now? or am I over reacting on false knowledge?

Thank you.

That's pretty much how Aramex delivers a duty paid shipment (at least from my experience with the clowns).

You can raise a support request at aramex.com and ask them to e-mail you the Customs Bill of Entry (BOE) which will have all the information regarding the customs tariff head, the value customs used in assessing the shipment, the duty and tax break-up etc. The scanned copy Aramex sends is usually horrible quality and is rather difficult to read. Insist they give you a clear readable scan when you raise the support request.

I have recently had 41% or so duty (inclusive of customs and IGST) charged even on imports less than INR 10K and it's all in there in the BOE, so Aramex weren't pulling a fast one(at least in my particular case). Not sure if customs applied the wrong rates, but too much of a hassle dealing with them, so I let it rest.

Last edited:
All small items that I got via Aramex, DHL etc were charged 41% duty regardless of value. I got a Fm antenna which is just $5 and perhaps $15incl. shipping by aramex and I was charged Rs 450. Similarly some golf balls of $20 via DHL same thing. So I have decided to stop importing small items and just make a list which I will pick up when I go overseas. Not worth it paying 50% more imo. not to mention the shipping charges.
Cheers,
Sid

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back