customs duty

I recently ordered a Schiit Modi + dac from Schiit US. Shipping was through FedEx. last night fedex approached me with customs demand of INR 12000 of duty + GST . The invoice value is USD 129. That means I am paying 100 percent duty :-(
how much was shipping ? Duty is calculated on Price + Shipping cost

This is beyond ridiculous. :oops:

Now that you mention it I did the Math and it works out to something like this:

Landed price = price + shipping + insurance
BCD @ 35% of landed price
GST @ 28% of landed price + BCD
Surcharge @ 10% of BCD
Daylight robbery charges by courier

Correct me if I'm incorrect.
It's daylight robbery actually from everyone. Duty should be ideally charged only as per the actual value of goods in the invoice. Why should it be calculated on logistics+ insurance also. The buyer is anyways incurring those expenses which are external and not adding to the value of the item.

Shipping was USD 45 (global "priority"). So all in it was USD 175 which is about 14k. So paying INR 12k is ridiculous :)
Actually I think duty would be around 70% which would be approx 10k, the rest would be charged by Fedex as handling charges etc. Anyways regardless it is ridiculous, but I have paid 70% duty on a few things (non hifi) I have imported, plus the courier handing fee., so this seems similar.
Cheers,
Sid

Actually I think duty would be around 70% which would be approx 10k, the rest would be charged by Fedex as handling charges etc. Anyways regardless it is ridiculous, but I have paid 70% duty on a few things (non hifi) I have imported, plus the courier handing fee., so this seems similar.
Cheers,
Sid
Yeah finally one becomes spiritual and learns that desire is the root cause of all suffering, acceptance of present moment is the key, etc etc :)

I was trying to research about the FTA's (Free trade agreements) signed with countries such as Australia, Emirates etc. Would audio equipment be considered under these agreements (usually exceptions are indicated in the agreement)? Can't seem to find any clear indications.
There is an upcoming EU/UK FTA as well (lot of heartburn about scotch whisky in the latter).
Cheers,
Sid

I was trying to research about the FTA's (Free trade agreements) signed with countries such as Australia, Emirates etc. Would audio equipment be considered under these agreements (usually exceptions are indicated in the agreement)? Can't seem to find any clear indications.
There is an upcoming EU/UK FTA as well (lot of heartburn about scotch whisky in the latter).
Cheers,
Sid
Dont count on it !

If duty on goods purchased by an importer is 42% as shown in the graphic shared by @RaahulT then why are they charging 70%?

The purpose of import tax is to discourage import of goods and promote local manufacturing. But this seems to deter individuals from importing and encourage businesses to import goods at a lower B2B tariff and sell them at a 50% to 60% markup.

If duty on goods purchased by an importer is 42% as shown in the graphic shared by @RaahulT then why are they charging 70%?

The purpose of import tax is to discourage import of goods and promote local manufacturing. But this seems to deter individuals from importing and encourage businesses to import goods at a lower B2B tariff and sell them at a 50% to 60% markup.
An importer probably mean an entity who has an import license, versus an individual who is importing in personal capacity

I recently ordered a Schiit Modi + dac from Schiit US. Shipping was through FedEx. last night fedex approached me with customs demand of INR 12000 of duty + GST . The invoice value is USD 129. That means I am paying 100 percent duty :-(
How much did you pay for shipping?

Duty should have been 4500-4600 no more than that. I hope you disputed the charges.
That was my estimate as well. But if you import through a courier company you end up paying duty at some 78-80% on not just product cost but also courier charges.

That was my estimate as well. But if you import through a courier company you end up paying duty at some 78-80% on not just product cost but also courier charges.
No you don't. I have shipped using fedex & DHL & the intial quote covers all charges end to end. You only have to pay duty amount at door step.
I think I paid around $75 for DHL for shipping from USA to my home & all shipping charges except duty was covered in $75. Item arrived in I think 3-4 days. With FedEx it was around $55 end to end. This was economy shipping & I had to pay around 6k in duty which was approx what I calculated.

Duty% does not vary by mode if transport. They overcharged you.

FedEx charges a Disbursement fee and/or a Customs clearance fee if they clear the shipment through Customs.

FedEx charges a Disbursement fee and/or a Customs clearance fee if they clear the shipment through Customs.
The only reason to go through fedex or dhl is that item is cleared through customs. The item is door to door tracked plus delivered at doorstep & no hassle of dealing with customs is the reason to choose DHL or FedEx. UPS shipping quotes is always the most expensive so I have never used UPS.

I don't know man what happened in other peoples cases, I can only go off my experience & I'm sharing it here.

I used a freight forwarder and got quotes of all shippers like Aramex, DHL, UPS, FedEx USPS & chose the most appropriate to me. I did not go directly through FedEx or DHL. If you go directly through FedEx they charge you those extra charges like clearance, disbursement, fuel surcharge etc but I did not get charged those so I cannot comment on the situation of people getting charged.

Last edited:
The only reason to go through fedex or dhl is that item is cleared through customs. The item is door to door tracked plus delivered at doorstep & no hassle of dealing with customs is the reason to choose DHL or FedEx. UPS shipping quotes is always the most expensive so I have never used UPS.

I don't know man what happened in other peoples cases, I can only go off my experience & I'm sharing it here.

I used a freight forwarder and got quotes of all shippers like Aramex, DHL, UPS, FedEx USPS & chose the most appropriate to me. I did not go directly through FedEx or DHL. If you go directly through FedEx they charge you those extra charges like clearance, disbursement, fuel surcharge etc but I did not get charged those so I cannot comment on the situation of people getting charged.
You cannot choose a shipper of your choice while buying through many vendors. They will automatically choose a courier whom they have contracted with - usually Fedex is popular in NA and DHL in EU/Asia.
Cheers,
Sid

You cannot choose a shipper of your choice while buying through many vendors. They will automatically choose a courier whom they have contracted with - usually Fedex is popular in NA and DHL in EU/Asia.
Cheers,
Sid
Rather than having it directly shipped to India have it shipped to freight forwarder & choose a courier of your choice. Yes the vendor can have contract with fedex or usps or ups & they can ship your order within NA to freight forwarder & you take it from there.

Can I request you to share (via PM or on a post in this thread, a pic of the bill (after masking personal information) that was raised by the freight forwarder/FedEx to you? I'm very curious to know more and I'm sure, many here will benefit from going down this route.

@Amarendra, can you also share your bill?

It would be interesting to compare both.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back