DAC around INR 100k

volume control (goes to 99)

:eek:

And to think... once, "11" was considered extreme! :lol:

Will be checking out the links for the two or three new-to-me names you've mentioned. Thanks.

Whoa! I didn't know Lynx made anything like that. The last time I looked, their product range had not changed much in years. One used to dream of their soundcards, because ...hey, a thousand-pound soundcard? Of course, one could also find people who said they were overpriced and over-rated...

Oh, double whoa! Just went through the pics! I want it just for its looks... Imagine having one of those and a SPL phonitor on the desk?

But wait... I think I said something about keeping even the dreams attainable :D

Last edited:
Thad and esanthosh - as many votes as I can give to active speakers, I would do so!

esanthosh - we should carry on our earlier conversation! Adam A7x is among the very well thought of speakers of its kind. I would also point towards the K&H 120A at around the same price. There are other options too, perhaps our conversation can provide more pointers...

Hopefully in a few days I will get the chance to jot down what I am hearing through my latest setup :)

Pro audio route, sometimes, is a great way to enjoy high quality gear at budget. They are much sensibly priced, because manufacturers don't need to position them at consumers and pros don't pay for stuff which ain't good.

Can I throw in some old Tannoy in the mix? There are some very good sounding Tannoy active monitors available from time to time. And some times they are good value, because they sale at low prices due to their age. But speakers kept in good environments are capable of lasting quite long, so they are usually in good shape.

Where to source them from? Keep an eye on deals. Specially at people who deal in pre-owned stuff and happen to get pro audio stuff.

I have been recently thinking over getting a good quality DAC. My current benchmarks are Benchmark DAC 1 and Nuforce Icon HDP. In fact I prefer the Nuforce over the Benchmark for the reason I have spoken about here previously.

Honestly I don't know how much to spend on it. Just starting out with a rough figure of 1 lac in my mind. Now, 1 lac is quite open. The value I will get out of that money will be very different if I buy new and if I buy used. So again, I am not sure what it would be. May be I can take something used if there is a good deal out there.

I will also consider a CD player, if it can double as a DAC.

My preference would be something neutral sounding. Not bottom heavy, not top heavy, just give me what the recording has.

Open to suggestions! Thanks in advance!

You can try out this one SCARLATTI DAC!! Price around $ 26,000/-

Streophile Review-"This amazing Scarlatti is a strong contender for the title of Worlds Best DAC"

SCARLATTI--ALL-3-PIECES-.jpg

Last edited:
You can try out this one SCARLATTI DAC!! Price around $ 26,000/-

Streophile Review-"This amazing Scarlatti is a strong contender for the title of Worlds Best DAC"

SCARLATTI--ALL-3-PIECES-.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation!

However, there is a very small problem with that DAC. It's a bit outside what I am prepared to spend and the rest of my system doesn't demand such an expensive DAC. I am looking to spend in a manner it results in best sound for the money spent. So, despite this DAC being one awesome DAC, it's out of the equation as of now.

Ranjeet, did you have the opportunity to try out the Weiss Audio DAC as yet. They are essentially a pro company whose experience has trickled down into their the consumer versions of some world class DACs. Very neutral and very resolving without being hard at all.

Nope it hasn't materialized yet.

I nearly bought the WEISS DAC 2. I made a deal for a WEISS DAC 2 for a very good price (even better than Agon price). When I went to get the DAC the guy didn't show up. You can imagine how frustrating it must have been.

I have a good deal on Esoteric X-03 SE in sight. Price is good, too. But I don't want a CDP. At least unless it has digital inputs. I also saw one Esoteric D-05. Seemed like a fair deal (not cheap but not expensive). But customs could be a trouble unless I decided to travel and pick in person.

Hunt is still on.

A dealer here has a customer trade-in of a Chord Choral Transport + DAC Combo. Quoted price seems a bit on the higher side, but I have decided to audition it anyway. One of these days I will go to audition it.

I have blown a fair bit of money on hasty decisions in past. Now I am more patient. I am not in a hurry for this. I am keeping an eye on deals around me. Let's see. Hopefully, it will be a good decision in the end.

A versatile and great sounding DAC..............

2 Channel 192-kHz 24-bit D/A Audio Converter...

Here in Kolkata one of my friend have it....simply mind blowing.

3583005317.html

A versatile and great sounding DAC..............

2 Channel 192-kHz 24-bit D/A Audio Converter...

Here in Kolkata one of my friend have it....simply mind blowing.

3583005317.html

Looks like DAC is too transparent, unable to see it :lol:

Picture is missing

Do consider the Wyred4Sound DAC.

Its not available in India, but Singapore ...

Great VFM and very good overall Sound Quality. Cant be beat ( IMHO) at even twice the price

Also the M2Tech DAC and Power Supply...

The Malasyia Dealer will quote to you a price ( Approx Rs 78K ) delivered in Chennai. Clearing Indian Customs and Customs duty is his responsibility and included in the price.

However many believe that the M2Tech DAC really sings only with a Premium Power supply like the Palmer Power Supply which will push the price to approx Rs 1,20,000 which is a little over your budget.

If you prefer a leaner sound, I would recommend the M2Tech.

If you ( like me ) prefer a more Robust sound, the Wyred4Sound cant be beat.

Not quite sure but we did an a/b between the w4s dac1 and my ayon cd1-s and I found the w4s to be a bit thin sounding. It is definitely on the colder side of neutral and not my cup of tea for sure. Neither did it have the drive of the CD player nor the bottom end slam.

Do consider the Wyred4Sound DAC.

Its not available in India, but Singapore ...

Great VFM and very good overall Sound Quality. Cant be beat ( IMHO) at even twice the price

I agree! It just can't be beat at 3x the price!

Also the M2Tech DAC and Power Supply...

The Malasyia Dealer will quote to you a price ( Approx Rs 78K ) delivered in Chennai. Clearing Indian Customs and Customs duty is his responsibility and included in the price.

However many believe that the M2Tech DAC really sings only with a Premium Power supply like the Palmer Power Supply which will push the price to approx Rs 1,20,000 which is a little over your budget.

If you prefer a leaner sound, I would recommend the M2Tech.

If you ( like me ) prefer a more Robust sound, the Wyred4Sound cant be beat.

Thanks for that bit of info. What are the contact details of this dealer? TIA.

reignofchaos
Not quite sure but we did an a/b between the w4s dac1 and my ayon cd1-s and I found the w4s to be a bit thin sounding. It is definitely on the colder side of neutral and not my cup of tea for sure. Neither did it have the drive of the CD player nor the bottom end slam.

Thanks for that feedback.

What is the price of the new CD player ?

reignofchaos

Thanks for that feedback.

What is the price of the new CD player ?

It was around 170k new when I was looking for one. I finally bought it pre-owned. However prices might have gone up now.

There was also a model change - the cd1s got upgraded to cd1sc which has more input output options.

The Wyred4sound DAC is approx US $ 1,000 ie LESS THAN 30% of the price of the CD player you are referring to.....;)

As I ( IndianEars = Amp_Nut) said :

Roc, what ampnut is saying is pertinent... however, a better comparison would be the W4S Dac 2... I have heard the Ayon 1s and 2s extensively and do love what they bring to the chain.... however, I much prefer the W4S Dac2. In fact, until I heard the W4s Dac 2, I was on the look out for a Ayon CD 2s (preowned).

I am not saying that the W4S Dac 2 is better. I feel both the machines play at the same level, but have very different tonal qualities. Personally, I feel that the Ayon is a wee bit more colored.

Interesting observation.

I have heard the Ayon CDPs and own the W4S DAC 2. The Ayon CDPs are superb , however I thought that they are a tad rich of tone. That's the whole point of the tube output, to take the glare out of the player.

I find the W4S DAC 2 to be detailed without being clinical and Oh the Bass is just spectacular. Depth,slam and tone.

My subjective POV of course.

Back