DAC recommendations

I recently purchased the Tube Magic DAC 2. This is my second DAC; I needed an additional DAC for an audio/visual set up in my home office.

I am currently using a Cambridge Audio DacMagic in my main listening room. The plan, audition both DACs, the winner stays in the main room the loser to the office.

Equipment:

Front LR - Vintage KEF reference model one speakers. Where the Reference excels, other than a neutral balance, is the vast headroom they have, with the right amplification of course. Their ability to remain sounding the same at louder volumes and still have the same dynamic capabilities is almost second to none at the price point. I've never bottomed out a pair of Reference.

Center JBL LC2

Sub Orb audio Super 8

Surrounds Orb Audio Mod 4s

Cable Audio Quest Topaz

MARANTZ AV Surround Receiver SR6005

MACBOOK PRO with 1TB Lacie external HD. 800GB of music ripped from CDs played back in Apple LossLess format.

Album used for the Audition: Cowboy Junkies The Trinity Session, why I choose this - the band wanted to record live with one stereo microphone direct to tape. Peter Moore was enlisted and suggested the Church of the Holy Trinity in Toronto for its natural reverb. To better persuade the officials of the historic church, the band claimed to be The Timmins Family Singers and said they were recording a Christmas special for radio. The session began on the morning of November 27, 1987. The group first recorded the songs with the fewest instruments and then the songs with gradually more complex arrangements. In this way Moore and the band were able to solve acoustic problems one by one. To better balance Margo Timmins's vocals against the electric guitars and drums, she was recorded through a PA system that had been left behind by a previous group. By making subtle changes in volume and placement relative to the microphone over six hours, Moore and the band had finally reached the distinctive sound of the album by the time the last of the guest musicians arrived at the church. I listened in direct mode and 5-channel stereo

I originally listened to this album in 1988 using an Audible Illusion tube preamp with a 200 watt per channel B&K power amp, turntable and Kef speakers. My goal, how close could I get to that sound with the above equipment?

I have been using the DacMagic for over two years it cost approximately $400.00. There was definitely an improvement in sound coherency vs. running the MAC to the MARANTZ without a DAC.

I hooked up the Tube Magic to the USB port and the tube outputs. I heard a significant difference in my ears. There was better imaging. Imaging wasn't super sharp but it did not sound- artificially defined. The overall soundstage and placement of audio within the stage was improved. The sound appeared to be coming from one big speaker not directional. I really liked the tube output, like chocolate syrup flowing over vanilla ice cream. Smooth, warm and very easy to listen to.

The winner in Tube Magic DAC2

mert2jr

Thanks mert2r.
Very helpful for me. I was using DAC magic and am looking for a better sounding budget DAC. TubeMagic DAC 2 is in my shortlist.

I did do the tube upgrade. I am getting the OPA627 upgrade - will post how it sounds once I burn it in a little. If I were starting out new I would have just ordered the upgrades.

Mert2jr

I did do the tube upgrade. I am getting the OPA627 upgrade - will post how it sounds once I burn it in a little. If I were starting out new I would have just ordered the upgrades.

Mert2jr

I got the Tubemagic with GE tube upgrade close to 2 months back. The difference in sound is evident. I did not see a noticeable difference post burn in after about 10 days of continuous power ON (as was recommended by Ryan-the owner). But overall difference in the SQ is surely distinct. I find the standard output good while playing movies or more vocal/midrange sounding music. Otherwise the tube output is great for music - warm & soothing with no big compromise in details

I got the Tubemagic with GE tube upgrade close to 2 months back. The difference in sound is evident. I did not see a noticeable difference post burn in after about 10 days of continuous power ON (as was recommended by Ryan-the owner). But overall difference in the SQ is surely distinct. I find the standard output good while playing movies or more vocal/midrange sounding music. Otherwise the tube output is great for music - warm & soothing with no big compromise in details

What was your previous set up ? Could you please indicate how you were routing your signal earlier and now?

My previous setup was the same as in my original post. The only difference was I had the DACMAGIC connected via USB. When I auditioned either DAC they were connected to the MARANTZ via AudioQuest cables.

I also used an optical connection from an airport express - didn't use this one much, only when going wireless from my mini IPAD or IPOD. That sound was not as good as the USB connection.

Mert2jr

One other item, b/4 I used a DAC my connection from my MAC was via airport express straight to the MARANTZ via optical. For my ears both DAC's were an improvement in sound coherency.

mert2jr

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back