DAC recommendations

I have a Micromega MyDAC with me on long term review from the Indian distributor, and I agree, one of the best I've heard. He sells it at about 31k plus taxes... Local distributors are Leviathan Systems (leviathan.co.in). If you can up your budget, it's definitely worth it. If not, AudioQuest DragonFly is another good option, at about 18,900.
Stay away from the dragonfly unless you are planning to use it for headphone duties. It's really sad for connecting to a Amp->Speaker. There's noticeable distortion (Most probably Due to the gain) There's no clear line-out. Overall the experience is great for headphones and mediocre otherwise.

Stay away from the dragonfly unless you are planning to use it for headphone duties. It's really sad for connecting to a Amp->Speaker. There's noticeable distortion (Most probably Due to the gain) There's no clear line-out. Overall the experience is great for headphones and mediocre otherwise.

Whats your take on Maveric Audio D1 or D2 with the GE tube upgrades..I am seriously contemplating one ?

Try the Music hall DAC A15.2 if you don't need much bass/ but need more musical, it will beat any other DAC's in the price range + double the cost of it. Worth for the cost at $299.

Regards

Agree with Denom, the D2 is the one to get if you like nicely rolled off highs and a sweet clear midrange. The D1 does some things right but does a lot of other so wrong that its unbearable. Particularly the bass/midbass extension that often overpowers mids and ruins the otherwise pristine presentation. You can borrow the D1 for a while if you wish.

Agree with Denom, the D2 is the one to get if you like nicely rolled off highs and a sweet clear midrange. The D1 does some things right but does a lot of other so wrong that its unbearable. Particularly the bass/midbass extension that often overpowers mids and ruins the otherwise pristine presentation. You can borrow the D1 for a while if you wish.

Thanks, will go for the D2 with tube upgrade

Now I have an option for buying an used VDAC MK1 OR a new Maverick audio D2 with GE tube upgrade ? Price is almost the same

Listening genere is Rock, Metail ore even ghazals and similar /sufi songs at times..primarily stuff which is more musically inclined.

Last edited:
Directly from Maveric website. basic cost is about $ 259 + shipping +customs.. for a D2 with GE tube upgrade.. will cost you 299. if you want an opamp upgrade too.. the reviews are very good. but VDAC should be no less or if not better? and that's the dilemma

I dont know how VDAC MK1 would sound. esp. in comparison with the D2. MK1 is adaptive USB technology and it is a generation old. I have seen used VDAC MK1s selling here for around 12k or less in HFV last year or before.

Directly from Maveric website. basic cost is about $ 259 + shipping +customs.. for a D2 with GE tube upgrade.. will cost you 299. if you want an opamp upgrade too.. the reviews are very good. but VDAC should be no less or if not better? and that's the dilemma

sorry I quoted Ebay prices.. it is about $10 lower if ordered directly

I have been using the TubeMagic D2 with GE tube upgrade for sometime now. Following was what has been my experience so far:

The aesthetics are decent. It is all black with a soft selector knob for input selection.

It has two analog outputs 1) standard output 2) Tube out

The standard output is more discrete in nature where there seems more detail in the sound especially the mid range and higher frequency range. Excellent when you play a movie..

Tube out option is surely warmer at the cost of few details which you can do away with. definitely better for music. And less fatigue especially when you plan to listen for a long duration.

In general a good VFM.

I noticed once issue though and am yet to hear from the owner-Ryan on this. When you play videos in mkv format, there is no audio except for a loud crackling sound. I noticed it for a few videos with divx formats also. I also checked the audio sampling rate since the DAC can play files upto 96Khz. Each of these files had audio coded at sub 96Khz rates. Let me know if anyone has found a solution to this. I play audio thru the SPDIF optical output of the TV.

How you have connected Player to your TV?

And why have you connected spdif output of TV to DAC? connecting digital out of player to DAC will be better option.

Also tell me how much total cost you paid in INR including shipping and Import duty?

How you have connected Player to your TV?

And why have you connected spdif output of TV to DAC? connecting digital out of player to DAC will be better option.

Also tell me how much total cost you paid in INR including shipping and Import duty?

I have a relatively older DVD player from Phillips which cannot play mkv formats.. Hence I use either the DLNA feature of the TV to connect across my home network on wifi /LAN or directly from an USB drive.

Total landed cost of the DAC incl of shipping was USD 290/-

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back