DAC recommendations

Jams4znik03

I have been scouting around for some decent DACs in the market. I need a decent number and assortment of digital and also analog inputs if possible. I find the following to be quite popular though I have not heard most of them.pretty hard to get for a demo other than the HFV meets which we have. The following are the ones which caught my notice:

1. Emotiva XDA .. good reviews
2. HRT Stream - only USB inputs - ruled out
3. Marverick Audio D1 tube preamp D1 /D2 - confused which one to choose between them.. Is it worth the $ 50 diff ?
4. GDAC - ?
5. Asus xonar - no great reviews

I want to match it with the PM6004 + FS Mon7s and inputs from all possibles - BDP, TV, Media player, even tapes if i get a analog audio (I know Maveric D1 has it..though not an given feature in others)

Budget 15 K +/- 10%

Any advices from the gurus..?

Last edited:
I have no big opinion on Cambridge dac based on the reviews of the actual owners in India. Can any one confirm on the performance of emotiva dacs as I plan to buy xda dac2. In fact I was about to place my order tonight and happened to see this thread so will hold it for couple of days to see the out come of this thread.

Balagopalan

Greetings

Asus xonar - no great reviews?

I have been using the Asus Xoner card for a number of years now and find it to be one of the best cards for just music. The review was not good because it did not fair well as a gaming card.

I had musical fidelity m1 dac earlier . Now I have Micromega mydac which is much better and an audiophile grade dac at budget . One can read about it on net . it has been acclaimed very much . recently heard arcam rdac also , mydac is much better.

Any specific reviews of VDAC and Maveric audio - an interesting one I came across.. though not as renowned as its US counter parts. There are a few variants with tube upgrades for both D1 & D2.

I had musical fidelity m1 dac earlier . Now I have Micromega mydac which is much better and an audiophile grade dac at budget . One can read about it on net . it has been acclaimed very much . recently heard arcam rdac also , mydac is much better.

What is the cost & where is it available ?

Micromega mydac needs to be imported . The cost to me was app 31 k . Thhe custom freight itself was app 8k. But the dac is the best I heard so far which includes arcam rdac , emu , musical fidelity m1 , bersford etc.

How do you compare rDAC & MyDac ? You placed MyDAC over rDAC & MF M1 which are mass favorites positively reviewed in multiple audiophile forums. What is the sonic characteristics that pushes your opinion. (In btw, I read very few reviews available and was planning hear them during my next France Trip.)

My original question still remains unanswered.. at a budget of 15 K apprx, which is the best best i should go for. I woul prefer a DAC which has at least one analog input. Any critical reviews of the ones l listed above .. including maverick.

You can refer to this. Available for $200 from US. International shipping also provided. Finishing appears to be amateurish. I have not much knowhow about the product.

/Ross Martin Audio

Regards,

vjc

My original question still remains unanswered.. at a budget of 15 K apprx, which is the best best i should go for. I woul prefer a DAC which has at least one analog input....

By definition, a DAC is Digital ---> Analogue Converter. There is no such thing as analogue input to a DAC as such but...

A sound card, or sound interface, for a PC, works both ways Digital <---> Analogue (DAC and ADC).

Various combination devices such as DAC/HP-amps, exist which also provide analogue input to the amp section ... all the way up to pre or integrated amps with digital input.

To help the advice givers: what is your purpose/requirement for analogue in?

vjc, Eventhough I dont have first hand experience with Ross Martin products I have read a lot of negative feedback online about the products/service.

Micromega mydac needs to be imported . The cost to me was app 31 k . Thhe custom freight itself was app 8k. But the dac is the best I heard so far which includes arcam rdac , emu , musical fidelity m1 , bersford etc.

Just saw this Indian distributor's address in Micromega website.
Tried calling them, but the call was unanswered. Someone else might get a lil more lucky and get through.

LEVIATHAN SYSTEMS PVT. LTD.
111/3, Marol Co-op. Industrial Estate
Sakinaka, MUMBAI - 400 059
INDIA
Tel.: +91 22 28502287
+91 22 28502566
Mob.: +91 - 9821238837
Mail. [email protected]
Welcome to Leviathan Systems Pvt. Ltd.

Last edited:
Just saw this Indian distributor's address in Micromega website.
Tried calling them, but the call was unanswered. Someone else might get a lil more lucky and get through.

LEVIATHAN SYSTEMS PVT. LTD.
111/3, Marol Co-op. Industrial Estate
Sakinaka, MUMBAI - 400 059
INDIA
Tel. +91 - 9821238837
Mail. [email protected]
Welcome to Leviathan Systems Pvt. Ltd.

Managed to get through to one Mr. Mihir at Leviathan Systems.
The price of MyDac that he quoted is Rs. 28,000/- plus taxes. Delivery, even though he said will be in 4 days, I suppose it'll take a minimum of 10 days coz he has to source it from the US.
UPDATE: Delivery time is 3-4 weeks.

Last edited:

I have a Micromega MyDAC with me on long term review from the Indian distributor, and I agree, one of the best I've heard. He sells it at about 31k plus taxes... Local distributors are Leviathan Systems (leviathan.co.in). If you can up your budget, it's definitely worth it. If not, AudioQuest DragonFly is another good option, at about 18,900.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back