Matching speakers for Marantz pm6007/5005 amp

Hello FMs
I have been recently looking for setting up an audio gear. I mostly listen to hindi songs old 80s/90/s upto all current bollywood music and occasional english classical songs, classical hindi songs. sorry for lack of my proper understanding of audio terms but I don't like too much treble, That is fatiguing to my ears. I am also looking for an option where I don't need to add a sub (I am not basshead, but do like decent amount of it). From reading and taking clues from the forum posts, it appears Wharfedale/Q Acoustic are warmer speakers. I also got great reviews of Mission Qx2 mkii (doesn't seem to be available). After doing some research, I narrowed down my choices to following.

Speakers:
Wharfedale Diamond 12.1/12.2
Q Acoustic 3030i

Amp:
Marantz PM5005
Marantz PM6007

I was able to listen to Diamond 12.1 and QA 3020i.
From what I heard, Diamond 12.1 was very lively and energetic and clear sounding. They didn't sound too warm to me as I have read about them but I kind of liked them. Wasn't able to hear much bass though probably because of their placement maybe? (they were on table with all space around them - more than 10ft all side open space).
QA had muddy bass and not much clarity (I suspect due to their placement - 2ft. apart each other within a shelf pretty close to cabinet walls. That's what confused me as I have read very good reviews of them)

This is where I am confused for choice (maybe I am looking to save extra money here as main priority). This is where I need some suggestions from FM to help me decide which speaker/amp pair would be better choice for my music taste. I think I may also connect it to my TV for movies watching.

There is around 13-15k price difference between PM5005 and PM6007. Also, QA 3030i seems ~6k cheaper than WD 12.2. Would PM5005 be good option with either of these speakers?

Looking forward to your suggestions/help.
I have a Marantz PM5005. It drives my Dali Zensor 1 speakers.

I was also considering PM6006 when I was in the market for stereo. Power difference between 5005 and 6006 is negligible. Toroidal transformer in entry level gear was also not really a deal breaker for me. I chose 5005 mainly because I could buy a DAC of my choice to pair with the amp. You can do that with any 6006 also, but then you’ll end up with a DAC too much. I chose 5005 and later bought Topping E30 DAC.

Currently, my source is Allo USBridge Signature connected to the USB input of my DAC. I also watch OTT content by connecting my TV to the Optical input of the DAC.

I’m really happy with this combination.

About your speaker pairing query, I liked Wharfedale (forgot the model) paired with 5005 when I auditioned it. I didn’t like Q acoustics 3020 when paired with 5005. But it was to my ears. You may like or dislike as you please.

I think if you’re convinced with Marantz (5005 or 6006, either) you can go with speakers that are neutral or maybe a little cooler, as Marantz has nice warmth to the sound, especially the mid range. Hence I believe, Dali Oberon 1 or (used) Zensor 3 would be a nice choice according to me.

Wish you the best and cheers!

Thanks for your response Argho. My budget was under 70 but now stretched to 80k
I will try to see if I can audition Dali Oberon 1. Looking at their few reviews, seems to indicate not much bass.
Hi Uca2201,

I am using the Oberon 1 with Marantz SR 7011 as fronts and surrounds in a 14ft L X 11ft W room. They sound quite big for their size and are enjoyable.

But you will hardly get any bass from them due to their small enclosure. Hence they have to be supplemented by a subwoofer. Together with the sub they sound quite good.

If you need an all rounder bookshelf in your budget then you can audition the Mission Qx2 which fm DB1989 has highly recommended . Although I have not heard them.

Regards,
Nitin.

I have been using wharefedal diamond with marantz pm 6005 for some years. My sources are TT , DVD player and Tape Deck. I am happy with my humble set up. My vote will be for marantz wharefedal combo.
Regards

Hello FMs
I have been recently looking for setting up an audio gear. I mostly listen to hindi songs old 80s/90/s upto all current bollywood music and occasional english classical songs, classical hindi songs. sorry for lack of my proper understanding of audio terms but I don't like too much treble, That is fatiguing to my ears. I am also looking for an option where I don't need to add a sub (I am not basshead, but do like decent amount of it). From reading and taking clues from the forum posts, it appears Wharfedale/Q Acoustic are warmer speakers. I also got great reviews of Mission Qx2 mkii (doesn't seem to be available). After doing some research, I narrowed down my choices to following.

Speakers:
Wharfedale Diamond 12.1/12.2
Q Acoustic 3030i

Amp:
Marantz PM5005
Marantz PM6007

I was able to listen to Diamond 12.1 and QA 3020i.
For your particular requirement i.e. good bass without a subwoofer, scratch all options which have a woofer size less than 6.5 inches, especially for the budget that you are looking at. In my experience, no budget speaker (upto 50K) with a 5 inch woofer can match the depth and quantity of bass that a half decent 6.5 incher can pump out (my reference for "half decent speakers" being the Boston Acoustics A26).

Having said that, the most bass i have heard from a 6.5 inch bookshelf has been the Mission QX-2. They have a wonderful balance of bass depth and quantity with the rest of the spectrum i.e. mids and highs, making for a wholesome presentation that one cannot go wrong with in my humble opinion. While by no means am I implying that they are the best bookshelf speakers under 1L, and there are many specific attributes that other speakers do better particularly when taking subjective preferences into account, I can't think of any other speaker that convincingly outshines the QX-2 as a wholesome package to justify the extra outlay. In other words, the Mission QX-2 is a speaker you cannot go wrong with, especially for the price.

P.S. - You know you have a gem of a speaker when you see a random group of people with little in the way of preference in genres shazaming songs a little too often.

Last edited:
thank you forum members for your wonderful suggestions and help. due to space constraints, I kept floorstanders off my list. For same reason, I didn't go with QA 3030i. Mission QX2 was on my list but couldn't audition and with all the little time I had, I couldn't resist and trusting my ears on what I heard, I went ahead and ordered PM6007/WD 12.2 :)

thank you forum members for your wonderful suggestions and help. due to space constraints, I kept floorstanders off my list. For same reason, I didn't go with QA 3030i. Mission QX2 was on my list but couldn't audition and with all the little time I had, I couldn't resist and trusting my ears on what I heard, I went ahead and ordered PM6007/WD 12.2 :)
Congratulations on your purchase. Marantz WD combo is a fantastic one. You will not regret, i think. Enjoy your set up and if possible do write a review. Because it will help many prospective buyers in future.
Regards

Do consider a pair of stands. A lot of the magic that speakers possess won't be on display without them on it.

Last edited:
so hws the sound?could you pls give a brief idea?

Congratulations on your purchase ! That's a good combo . I like the sound signature of WD. I have WD220.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back