DAC suggestions for desktop audio

Miany

Hi All,

Looking for a DAC to be used with my JBL 104 monitor speakers.

- Volume control is not important.
- Multiple inputs are not important too.. will be primarily using USB input only.
- Max budget is 25K.
- Open to used ones too..

Please suggest if you have something in mind.

Thanks,
Miany

I would look at the following within your budget (not in particular order):

Schiit Modi 3
Topping E30
xduoo TA-10 (tube)
SMSL M100

Note that last 3 are more like Chi-Fi products but not less than others.

Topping e30 made every dac under 25k obselete. A logical upgrade to it would be chord mojo for that special analogous sound. For the price ypu asked topping e30 is the best performer

Hi All,

- Multiple inputs are not important too.. will be primarily using USB input only.
- Max budget is 25K.

Thanks,
Miany
Earmen Donald DAC would suffice for your needs. It's available on HPZ at 9999. It would do MQA too.

Check out Khadas Tone Board, I am a happy user but not associated with them in any way (note: it is a Chinese company)

ASR Review:

You can buy it in India for under 10k (cheaper if you can have someone to buy from US):

If you decide to go for it you might want to check out tone 2 Pro since it has headphone amp, case and no ESS hump. I have a used Aune T1 Tube DAC + headphone amp if you are interested but Tone board has much better bass.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Check out Khadas Tone Board, I am a happy user but not associated with them in any way (note: it is a Chinese company)

ASR Review:

You can buy it in India for under 10k (cheaper if you can have someone to buy from US):

If you decide to go for it you might want to check out tone 2 Pro since it has headphone amp, case and no ESS hump. I have a used Aune T1 Tube DAC + headphone amp if you are interested but Tone board has much better bass.

Good luck!
Now the second version of tone board
has been released called tone 2 pro. Should be around 12 to 15k. Otherwise go for schiit modi3 for 12k from headphonezone.

Hi All,

- Max budget is 25K.

Thanks,
Miany
Push the budget a little higher and get a mojo around some 30k. It still destroys all DACs under 50k. It’s so analogous like a vinyl. I never heard anything better having had dacs priced even more than that. Everything else has that digital glare. Hard to find though in used market. But it’s worth it

Try Musical Fidelity V-DAC II (around 20 K after discount) from Audio People, Chennai. They are providing a very good price (approx. 25-40% lesser than the list price) on many items.
Alternatively, you can also try Musical Fidelity V-Link II (around 10 k after discount), which just converts USB audio to Coaxial. It will work awesome, if you have an in-built DAC in your amplifies with Coaxial input.
These Musical Fidelity items are quite high quality and give very good value for money. These match nicely with systems having a neutral or little bright signature.
The Audio People folks are quite friendly and believe in making long-term relationships with the customers. You can find their contact details on Google.

Try Musical Fidelity V-DAC II (around 20 K after discount) from Audio People, Chennai. They are providing a very good price (approx. 25-40% lesser than the list price) on many items.
Alternatively, you can also try Musical Fidelity V-Link II (around 10 k after discount), which just converts USB audio to Coaxial. It will work awesome, if you have an in-built DAC in your amplifies with Coaxial input.
These Musical Fidelity items are quite high quality and give very good value for money. These match nicely with systems having a neutral or little bright signature.
The Audio People folks are quite friendly and believe in making long-term relationships with the customers. You can find their contact details on Google.

Thanks. I contacted Audio People, Chennai. Seriously considering Musical Fidelity V-DAC II.

Push the budget a little higher and get a mojo around some 30k. It still destroys all DACs under 50k. It’s so analogous like a vinyl. I never heard anything better having had dacs priced even more than that. Everything else has that digital glare. Hard to find though in used market. But it’s worth it

Is Chord Mojo readily available somewhere?

I had a Mojo at one point. Compared it to the iFi Micro DSD BL I had at the same time. Both were good but kept the iFi as I preferred the sound slightly. Also a good option.

Is Chord Mojo readily available somewhere?
Check for used market like OLX. Sometimes it comes over in forum also. New one is possibly hard as headphonezone is the only website which would have sold it. They have an insanely low price than international price but honestly since they had that never in stock for the long time, I won’t look there if I were you. A good condition one between 27k would be great.
I had a Mojo at one point. Compared it to the iFi Micro DSD BL I had at the same time. Both were good but kept the iFi as I preferred the sound slightly. Also a good option.
I too was in the same boat. Had ifi black label. It was wider, airer. But instrument timbre on mojo was just spot on. Ended up selling ifi. But ifi is even more expensive than mojo.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back