DAC to Headphone

SMSL SU-8 RCA out is not sufficient to drive headphones directly unless those are some very easy to drive headphones. You are better off buying a headphone amp, which is the headphone you are looking at or already have ?

SMSL SU-8 RCA out is not sufficient to drive headphones directly unless those are some very easy to drive headphones. You are better off buying a headphone amp, which is the headphone you are looking at or already have ?
I saw two hifiman Deva on sale in forum and read another thread about DAC-AMP combo for hifiman Deva. So I got this doubt whether smsl su-8 outputs(rca/xlr)can drive a headphone.

I saw two hifiman Deva on sale in forum and read another thread about DAC-AMP combo for hifiman Deva. So I got this doubt whether smsl su-8 outputs(rca/xlr)can drive a headphone.

Hifiman Deva are relatively easy to drive, so the rca out might be sufficient. Sundara/HD650 wont be driven via the same.

Wouldn't you need a volume control even if the DAC is "able" to drive headphones?
Cheers,
Raghu

is it possible to connect headphones to RCA out of DAC?
I have a smsl DAC, which has XLR and RCA out.
Is it necessary to have headphone amp (DAC-AMP-HEADPHONE) ?

It is possible, you would need a 3.5mm to RCA Y splitter cable. Most SMSL DACs have pre amp functionality, so volume control wont be an issue. It really depends on which headphones you have and if it can produce sufficient listening volume without a dedicated amp.

check with Headphone Zone
is it possible to connect headphones to RCA out of DAC?
I have a smsl DAC, which has XLR and RCA out.
Is it necessary to have headphone amp (DAC-AMP-HEADPHONE) ?
Thats to say pump 2 volts into your headphones and If your headphones are driven by the DAC well and are not loud for you why not ? I used to do that with my dac and hd580. Just the right amount of volume and it was fine. It may not work with every headphone and Dac combo as there are variables to the equation in terms of output voltage, headphone impedance, headphone sensitivity, etc. Do be careful and do not by any chance put your headphones on your head and start the music. It maybe just too loud and you may damage your hearing. Check for DC on the dac output else you may ruin your headphones. Its even better if the DAC in question has a variable output, then you only need to worry about the headphone being driven well.

Last edited:
Going through some research with Headphone. Planning to buy in October. Hifiman Sundara (open back) or HD660S or DT900Pro X are the available options. DAC & Amps shall be the 50% of the budget. But thinking whether to go for Valve Amps. I shall not be carrying the headphone around. As i leave in company guest houses hence, cant buy a normal HiFi stereo. Headphone Zone has opened a listening room in Mumbai. Planning to visit their place and listen to these headphones. After that shall be finalizing. I use flac files mostly - 16bit & 24bit. Music type is Blues & Classical Rock.

Going through some research with Headphone. Planning to buy in October. Hifiman Sundara (open back) or HD660S or DT900Pro X are the available options. DAC & Amps shall be the 50% of the budget. But thinking whether to go for Valve Amps. I shall not be carrying the headphone around. As i leave in company guest houses hence, cant buy a normal HiFi stereo. Headphone Zone has opened a listening room in Mumbai. Planning to visit their place and listen to these headphones. After that shall be finalizing. I use flac files mostly - 16bit & 24bit. Music type is Blues & Classical Rock.
Let us know how you liked them. Good headphone choices.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back