DAC under 25k (which I can get serviced in India maybe??)

psychotropic

I've been looking to replace my source as I've said elsewhere and in addition to looking at CD players under 30k (btw the CD player section of these forums resembles a ghost town), I am also considering possibly using an outboard DAC (is that a passe term these days?). Now I know this is very un-adventurous and I know there are several high quality DACs available from China and Hong Kong, but at the moment I am trying to see if there is an outboard DAC that I can buy for under 25k that I can also get serviced in Chennai.

I need it to accept coax and optical, and if it has USB great, if it doesn't have USB, I can live with that. I need it to have multiple inputs (at least 2).

Of course if there are Chinese DACs etc., that have a decent reputation for reliability and present a significantly superior value proposition compared to the big brands, then I wouldn't mind considering those either. I guess what i am saying is.....what's the best damn DAC that I can buy for under 25k?? :p

Edit - Just to add the rest of my setup. I am still using the TOpping TP20 tripath amplifier paired with the Odyssey Epiphony bookshelf speakers.

Last edited:
Hello folks, thank you for the rousing response :p . I have finally with the help of one or two posts/people on HFV and other stuff all over the internet picked up the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D2 DAC with the GE tube upgrade and the OPA627 op-amp upgrade. I will put up a separate thread about it. I know it can't be serviced in India, but maverick audio has very solid return/customer support terms, which most of the other overseas DAC makers can't match, so that really clinched the deal for me. Has cost me Rs. 20,250 to order. Just placed the order yesterday, so I will keep everyone posted.

hi

did you consider getting these in the sub 500range ?

i have heard both
Halide 24/96 USB 2.0 DAC
parasound Z dac

i liked both
the parasound was a lovely dac i heard in conjunction with an leben and harbeth
good attatck, good decay, lovely flavour , as smooth as silk
no hint of sharpness in any of the tracks i heard

the halide was not bad either

another one i heard recently is a Mytek
same setup as above (differnt harbeths though )

Ah damn, if only I'd heard of these before ordering, I could have considered them. But I think getting the Parasound over to India (or in India) would have worked out much more costly than the TubeMagic. Any idea of the prices of these two in India?

buying a parasound in india from a dealer - you would get ripped off

DAcs are small - any relative from abroad wouldnt mind carrying it yar

the parasound has an over engineered trafo - a good power supply is a very important part of a dac

buying a parasound in india from a dealer - you would get ripped off

DAcs are small - any relative from abroad wouldnt mind carrying it yar

the parasound has an over engineered trafo - a good power supply is a very important part of a dac

Actually one would not get ripped off,for zdac I know! Cause its around USD 500 and one will cost around 30-32k here in India ,which is a very reasonable price ..............

hehe, damn, now after I've ordered the thread comes alive. Anyway now I've ordered the TubeMagic and I am eagerly waiting to see how it sounds. Also going to be moving my stereo finally to a larger space that it needs/deserves.

I've been looking to replace my source as I've said elsewhere and in addition to looking at CD players under 30k (btw the CD player section of these forums resembles a ghost town), I am also considering possibly using an outboard DAC (is that a passe term these days?). Now I know this is very un-adventurous and I know there are several high quality DACs available from China and Hong Kong, but at the moment I am trying to see if there is an outboard DAC that I can buy for under 25k that I can also get serviced in Chennai.

I need it to accept coax and optical, and if it has USB great, if it doesn't have USB, I can live with that. I need it to have multiple inputs (at least 2).

Of course if there are Chinese DACs etc., that have a decent reputation for reliability and present a significantly superior value proposition compared to the big brands, then I wouldn't mind considering those either. I guess what i am saying is.....what's the best damn DAC that I can buy for under 25k?? :p

Edit - Just to add the rest of my setup. I am still using the TOpping TP20 tripath amplifier paired with the Odyssey Epiphony bookshelf speakers.

Hello Sir!!

You can check for Marantz 6004 CDP and Arcam rlink combo.You wont get a USB output,but digital output is just fine.

I have heard it with Spendor BBc! Too soothing for ears if your test is NOT on the warmer side of the sonic signature without at the expense of details, then you may not like it.....but if yes then you will just fall for it sir..........

Then there is an another one 14k Audinst HUD MX 2 A solid DAC in its price category.........you will get almost every outputs you need...Very balanced & neutral DAC

Hey Max, why the "sir" and all?? And anyway now I've already ordered it, so let's see how it is. And for the transport I am still looking, so that's also open. The 6004 is too expensive man.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back