DAC vs CDp to connect Marantz

paramesh

Hi Gurus,

thanks for all who help me to start HT system.now I have Marantz 5006 AVR. till now my main source is laptop(mp3 format) .now I am buying audio cds also .so planing to buy a one good cd player.I have doubt on either DAC or CDp is good to connect Marantz AVR.

pls suggest me.

... planing to buy a one good cd player.I have doubt on either DAC or CDp is good to connect Marantz AVR.
A good CD player must, by definition, include a good DAC!

So buy your CD player and listen to it. You'll probably find you don't don't need any additional DAC. You should, unless you are desperate to spend cash, at least try the CD player, otherwise you are just throwing away money on the DAC that comes with it.

try the odac from JDS Labs

in expensive way to get off to a good start on dacs.. i think.

this is a usb dac only.. and fine for casual listening just to enjoy the music without critical outlook. For the laptop + avr combo.. this should suffice.

ofcourse.. there are many more avbl incl an audiogd dac on sale on this forum should you like.

regards,
mpw

Hey guys

I am also in same confusion DAC or CDp .Though i have a very ordinary DVD player and its quite good when i play audio cd with my marantz PM7004.It shows quite good detail in hear but if i play same song in flac format through my media player , I don't hear same details as it were in case of cd , even if i select direct from source.

So guys please suggest me something in DAC for range of 30k.
Micromega mydac seems to be a good choice though.

DAC is the better option. You can use digital out from dvd player to DAC and dac send hifi signal to amplifier. The advantages are,

1) You can listen to DVD audio.

2) You might use cd's with scratches. In that case, you may only worry about cheap dvd player damages.

3) You can use it with computer. Computer has all kinds of sources, like usb, cd, dvd, network etc...

Go for DAC!

I saw peoples using CDp for amp,is it good to use for AVR?with my laptop I am very happy with mp3 songs.I am thinking like if I go for audio cds I can get better quality than mp3,that is the reason I am buying audio cds ,if I want play those cds I can use CDp,right?

thanks for giving information

if I want play those cds I can use CDp,right?
You can, but... Not necessarily!

You could even play them from the CD drive on your laptop! This is not what most people here would do, but it will work fine.

You can also rip them to your hard drive, and play those files from your laptop. (save them as uncompressed, eg FLAC or WAV, so that you are getting CD-quality sound, not MP3-quality sound)

How are you connecting your laptop to your AVR? An external DAC will almost certainly be better than any on-board sound card.

Perhaps I misunderstood the question, because now I'm saying ... Use the laptop, buy a DAC. And the ODAC that mpw mentions, is no ordinary piece of mass-produced consumer electronics: it is a design by an an enthusiast who has set very high targets for it. I don't have one, but several people here do. It would seem like a very safe buy at a reasonable price.

You could even play them from the CD drive on your laptop! This is not what most people here would do, but it will work fine.

You can also rip them to your hard drive, and play those files from your laptop. (save them as uncompressed, eg FLAC or WAV, so that you are getting CD-quality sound, not MP3-quality sound)

How are you connecting your laptop to your AVR? An external DAC will almost certainly be better than any on-board sound card.

Perhaps I misunderstood the question, because now I'm saying ... Use the laptop, buy a DAC. And the ODAC that mpw mentions, is no ordinary piece of mass-produced consumer electronics: it is a design by an an enthusiast who has set very high targets for it. I don't have one, but several people here do. It would seem like a very safe buy at a reasonable price.

I am using HDMI to connect AVR from my laptop. if I go for DAC , connectivity goes likes this(laptop -> DAV -> AVR),right ? my budget is max 20k only.now it self I expenditure 80k for avr + tower speakers (still need to buy center+sub+rear ).

suresh, I don't watch movies, and am really ignorant about AVR systems, hdmi and so on, so this is now out of my depth: all I know [a bit] about is simple 2-channel stereo music. So I'll back out, and leave it to the people with HT experience...

Can someone guide me how much would an ODAC cost? and where to get it from?...im based in delhi

mpw gave you a link. A search will receal other discussion on this forum.

If you want to go deeper, then see the designer's blog: NwAvGuy. It also lists other suppliers.

Sadly, his development of other things seems to have stopped for now, his latest post being May 2012.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back