DacMagic MK2 - Review

Thanx, Venkat & Ram.
Would it poss for you guys to have a shootout between the CA DM & the Beresford Caiman, courtesy cooltoad?
Venkat, am surprised at your findings re the Pioneer>DacMagic>NAD.
This needs to be investigated for the benefit of the audiophiles planning to run avg qlty Dvdps (LG/Samsung/Philips/Sony) thru Dacs for upping SQ in their systems w/o standalone CDps.
Also, could you plz check how music played thru HDD>DAC works out? That IS the future, isn't it?
Thanks again to both of you for the effort & the writeup & to the two ladies for their patience while their "boys" played with their toys!

I think Audio output level of OPPO-983 is 2.0V which had been increased to 2.5V in Oppo's layest Blu Ray player. Against this as mentioned in Venkats review CA's DacMagik-Mk-2 output is 2.8V. I think this could be reason for higher gain noticed by Venkat.
And this was the reason OPPO also decided to increase it to 2.5V in their latest BDP-83 Blu ray player because they felt that higher output was required for the unit to sound better . Apart ffrom this there are other improvements also in power supply and other components. Although I have not heard BDP-83 but reading the reviews it is significantly better then 983.
Now there is a BDP-83 Special Edition around $900 with improve DAC ,power supply etc which they call audiophile version.
Taking advantage of OPPO's popularity Nuforce and few others have immediately come up with a further upgraded Audiophile version adding another 400 to 500$ to the cost.
Venkats review was really good as it helps many looking for a decent digital upgrade around that cost. CA products are very good value for money and highly appreciated in audio reviews.

Venkat, am surprised at your findings re the Pioneer>DacMagic>NAD.
This needs to be investigated for the benefit of the audiophiles planning to run avg qlty Dvdps (LG/Samsung/Philips/Sony) thru Dacs for upping SQ in their systems w/o standalone CDps.
Also, could you plz check how music played thru HDD>DAC works out? That IS the future, isn't it?

Even I think Pio need another investigation, will bother venkat soon. One more reason to go to this home for the lovely pakka south indian lunch :yahoo:

HDD > WD TV > DM = Excellent output better than CD63

Gr8 post Venkat & Thanks to MBR again.
Its really suprise that Mrs.MBR's & Mrs.Venkat showed interest in HiFi :lol:

Mrs.MBR is perfect, infact, while getting ready for Venkat's home she was the one who patiently disconnected WD TV, HDD, DM, all cables, ICs and packed everything.

Also, she brings the listener perspective to me with totally unbiased from the heart feedback which sometimes breaks my heart as I would have spent good :)

Mrs.MBR is perfect, infact, while getting ready for Venkat's home she was the one who patiently disconnected WD TV, HDD, DM, all cables, ICs and packed everything.

Also, she brings the listener perspective to me with totally unbiased from the heart feedback which sometimes breaks my heart as I would have spent good :)

So you can add some thoughts in Thread "Do ladies really like hifi" :lol:

I think Vandana really likes music and she seems to enjoy a good listen. Last week, I was showing off the Audire speakers to my wife and a a couple of her friends. The fact that they sat quietly till I decided to stop the show goes a long way in telling that women do enjoy music.

Actually if you visit the Sabhas here During Dec-Jan, more than 50% of the audience are women.

The only difference is that we fuss over everything - be it cables, players, speakers, etc. Women fuss over their clothes and their accessories, and enjoy music whichever way you play to them. I feel we should all 'elevate' the listening capabilities of these people and bring them to our level of fastidiousness. At the end of the day, MAYBE, we can make them spend a little bit less on Sarees and Jewellery so that we can splurge a bit more on a Burr Brown DAC. What say? :)

Cheers

, MAYBE, we can make them spend a little bit less on Sarees and Jewellery so that we can splurge a bit more on a Burr Brown DAC. What say? :)

Cheers

Though I agree in general the LAST line is a deal break, as long as they have their spend they enjoy music and we have our spend. The moment you thread that highly sacred line, leave alone Burr Brown, you will not even get a burnt DAC.

So I say let nature be the way it is, balanced world is better than trying to tip it to our side ;)

Free Silk Saree voucher with every purchase of a DAC or a hi-fi component is the way to go for marketeers. :)

Cheers

How about 24k gold connector give away which can be used as ear rings
goldho.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Back