Dainty pro 18al woofer specs

Rajiv

Hi,

Does anyone have the specs for the Dainty Pro 18AL woofer?

This is a pro model woofer from Dainty,and has a paper cone.

Regards
Rajiv

Does anyone have the specs for the Dainty Pro 18AL woofer?

Rajiv,

I did look at the Dainty catalogue that I have, though it lists this particular driver, it does not mention the required T/S specs.

Also, Dainty specs vary so much betwen units that even if someone provides you the specs, its not going to be any help.

There are plenty of other brands having drivers in this particular size and they come with consistent T/S specs. Have you cosidered them?

Regards,
Goldy

Rajiv,

I did look at the Dainty catalogue that I have, though it lists this particular driver, it does not mention the required T/S specs.

Also, Dainty specs vary so much betwen units that even if someone provides you the specs, its not going to be any help.

There are plenty of other brands having drivers in this particular size and they come with consistent T/S specs. Have you cosidered them?

Regards,
Goldy

Hi Goldy,

Thanks for the reply.

The only reason I asked for specs about this driver is that I can get this driver for free, and was wondering if I could use it for subwoofer duty.

As you mentioned the T/S specs are not available,so designing a cabinet is going to be tricky.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Goldy,

I can get this driver for free, and was wondering if I could use it for subwoofer duty.

Pro drivers have some pros and cons for home usage.
Lets see what works and what does not.

The catalogues says, it has a 4" coil, 600w RMS, 35-2500hz range and sensitivity of 96dB/w/m.

It has high sensitivity so you will need very little power to produce high SPLs and it will have low power compression too due to the 4" coil dia.

It probably has high Fs (my guess is somewhere around 35hz) which may not be that bad, though you may need to use LT eq. With the enormous headroom in power eq will not be of any problems.

Though the usage till specd 2500hz cannot be trusted, nevertheless, it does suggest a thin cone usage, means it has low cone mass. This is the only thing that will go against the intended usage. The resulting bass maybe subjectively poor.

The Vas will also be high, though not because its a PA driver but because of the large 18" size.

But, hey, its free, give it a try.

If I were you, I would measure the T/S specs, it does not take more than a PC, a resistor , cables and jacks.

Alternatively, you could visit someone who can measure it for you in your city.

Have fun.

Regards,
Goldy

Last edited:
Hi,

@Goldy,

It has high sensitivity so you will need very little power to produce high SPLs and it will have low power compression too due to the 4" coil dia.

The high sensitivity is what interested me. I thought that it would work well as a sub for my Altec 605 duplex speakers.

Though the usage till specd 2500hz cannot be trusted

Even I am skeptical of this claim.

If I were you, I would measure the T/S specs, it does not take more than a PC, a resistor , cables and jacks.

Could you please tell me how to do the measurements?

Regards
Rajiv

Hi

Goldy, just back home this evening after being out of town these past few days.

Hope to get the woofer on Mon.

Regards
Rajiv

@Rajiv

any updates on the project, as i am also looking at something similar intended for subwoofer duty, any info will be helpful :)

regards
Harsha.

@Rajiv

any updates on the project, as i am also looking at something similar intended for subwoofer duty, any info will be helpful

Hi,

I lucked into a pair of JBL D130 woofers and JBL 075 tweeters.

The woofers have rubbing voice coils ,the tweeters are OK.

Trying to get these up and running without having to buy new JBL cones( $$$$ for factory replacement cones).So the sub woofer project is now on hold.

Regards
Rajiv

my friend built a subwoofer box with sdainty 12' and its simply amazing, it extends quite low

not to hijack the thread,

can you please elaborate on this , like which Dainty driver used and type of enclosure.if you have any details :)

regards,
Harsha.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back