dali

Buddy

In Usher the following are the series i heard, and are a bit popular and selling as well..
1). Dancer Series - This is there Best Series, available in India, with all the
models having Beryllium Tweeters...
In the price range of Dali IKON 7, they are priced high
but are much better than Dali...
Models to be considered :
1). Mini Dancer One - Rs.1.75L approx + VAT
2). Be-718 - Rs.1.1L approx + VAT
2). X Series - This is the series in which the two models of Dancer Series
Be-718(Bookshelf) & Be-616(Center) are available without
Beryllium Tweeters...
1). X-718 - Rs.60K approx + VAT
2). X-616 - Rs.40K approx + VAT

Then they have CP series, which lies almost near to the Dali IKON series...

Rest models like Be-10 etc, which are priced @ Rs.7.8L approx + VAT, are there very high end series...

sir,
i would like some feedback on dali ikon 7 speakers

Dali's are excellent speakers and there are subtle differences between the 6 & 7 series that is not discernable for most people. However the biggest dilemma I have had with the Dali's are their placement. They have an unusually large soundstage if paired appropriately with a good amp. This means that if you are listening to them at a distance you need a large listening areas to get the best sound from them. They are very good sounding speakers with an interesting ribbon tweeter design. The center speaker placement is a bit tricky and may lead to an off axis image.

However once set, they are one of the best sounding speakers and compare very well with B&W, Ushers or Dynaudio. easy to drive as well. And they have looks to kill.

What do you expect to use them for?

Sorry Bala, I couldn't check myself from putting my question in your thread to Marsi.
However the biggest dilemma I have had with the Dali's are their placement. They have an unusually large soundstage if paired appropriately with a good amp. This means that if you are listening to them at a distance you need a large listening areas to get the best sound from them.
Marsi, what do you mean by 'needing a large listening area'? Can you please explain? In a small room, say 14 ft x 12 ft, will Dali speaker (front ported Ikon1, which I am thinking ) be able to provide good listening experience if the listener sits about 6-7 feet from the speakers?

If it is Dali, I would be looking at Helicon series and above. Anything else is a compromise.
I would rate the Usher mini dancer above anything in Dali below the Helicon series. But I think the usher go at around 1.7 lakh a pair ;)
The Proac 140 which were checking out is also a good speaker.

See Dali Halicon Series and all above are good for the price range...

But the IKON, the first series(frgt the name), and others in there starting series...are nt gud for there pricing...

Buddy i have sold a few of those and compared them with lot other speakers...
infact was the first person to sell the first Dali, from Sight & Sound...

sir,
i would like some feedback on dali ikon 7 speakers

Hi Balakrishna:

Like others said Dali Ikon 6 would be the best bet rather than Ikon 7. The difference in SQ is going to be subtle between these two - I guess 7 would have some extra amount of bass, but that would eat up some finer detail level as well. As said above, you need lots of space for Ikon 6/7, for them to breathe properly, and good news is you can place them closer to back walls without loss in SQ and still great soundstage - I think very few speakers have this attribute. Partners well with Arcam, NAD, and Naim.

Hi Bala

Dali are Fantastic speakers for the Money you pay. I am using a Dali ikon 2 with marantz electronics and the sound is awesome. i dont think there is going to be a big issue in Placing the speakers , since it has a wide dispersion technology you don't need to toe in the speakers. i have heard the Ikon 6 , but as other said , these speakers need space to breath. If you room size is around 400sq.ft go for standmount.

vijay.

Dali's are excellent speakers and there are subtle differences between the 6 & 7 series that is not discernable for most people. However the biggest dilemma I have had with the Dali's are their placement. They have an unusually large soundstage if paired appropriately with a good amp. This means that if you are listening to them at a distance you need a large listening areas to get the best sound from them. They are very good sounding speakers with an interesting ribbon tweeter design. The center speaker placement is a bit tricky and may lead to an off axis image.

However once set, they are one of the best sounding speakers and compare very well with B&W, Ushers or Dynaudio. easy to drive as well. And they have looks to kill.

What do you expect to use them for?

Marsillans,
Bala listens to classical as well as rock (Information from another thread)
Ikon series cannot do Classical. Rock will work fine.
The Usher mini dancer does classical reasonably well. Proacs are also upto it.

Marsillans,
Bala listens to classical as well as rock (Information from another thread)
Ikon series cannot do Classical...

Quite a bold statement indeed :cool:

FWIW I have been using the Ikon 6 for a very long time and am very convinced with its performance with all types of music, including classical. So should I be defending my dear speakers? Not sure. But here it goes...

Not that reviews should be blindly followed, but just for reference here are few reviews by some professionals and a bunch of awards to boot -

Robert J. Reina from Stereophile (US): "I was also impressed with the Ikon 6s' soundstaging. Playing well-recorded classical works, the speakers "disappeared," and it was quite easy for me to hear the acoustics of the various recording venues."

-----
What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision (UK): ''These are wonderfully musical-sounding speakers, and they work well with genres as wide-ranging as Springsteen and Stravinsky, delivering an open and fluid presentation.''

''Dali Ikon 6s are a prime example of just how good well designed large-cabinet speakers can sound.''

''Weve yet to come across a rival that can match the Ikon 6s combination of full-bodied midrange, treble sparkle and crisp timing.''

''The Ikon 6s are great speakers. We cant wait to hear the rest of the new range.''

-----

Alvin Gold from Hi-Fi Choice (UK); ''The Ikon 6 is one of the finest-grained, most exquisitely detailed loudspeakers weve encountered at anywhere near its price.''

''Dalis Ikon 6 a fast, agile and highly detailed loudspeaker that is explicit, regardless of its price.''

''The bass here is more about speed and articulation than it is about weight and power, but this is a substantial loudspeaker.''

''The unusual resolving quality is tied to a powerful sense of speed, of lightning reflexes and a quick release once the moment had passed.''

-----

Wolfram Eifert from Stereoplay (Germany): ''Adaptability and temperament have found a common denominator; Dali Ikon 6.''

''...its not typical for its class, it has a playfulness and in all possible ways transparent dynamics, that one could only expect at a much higher price point.''

''Percussion, strings, flutes - everything that has anything with brilliance to do, sparkles fresh and definitely unforced...''

Awards:

2007 "Product of the year" for "Best Speaker Package" by UK -WHAT HIFI Sound and Vision award 2007

Enceintes acoustiques IKON 6 de DALI by Canada - MAGAZINE SON & IMAGE 05/06//2007

DALI IKON 6 "Best Product 2006 : DALI IKON 6 was elected as the best floor standing speaker in 2006 of the German magazine "HiFi Test, TV Video".
The award to IKON 6 was given for the performance in the "top-class" category (spitzen-klasse).

DALI IKON 6 -The Absolute Sound (US) Editors' Choice Awards - October issue

"If power, substance, and clarity are important qualities to you, the DALI IKON 6 should be on your very short list. This speaker is easy to drive, effortlessly delivers the goods dynamically, and has a smooth overall balance. The IKONs price may be modest, but it is a substantial floorstander that never sounds small in any negative way."

Awarded "Best Stereo Speaker 2005" by What Hi-Fi

What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision (UK); "These are wonderfully musical-sounding speakers, and they work well with genres as wide-ranging as Springsteen and Stravinsky, delivering an open and fluid presentation."

"DALI IKON 6s are a prime example of just how good well designed large-cabinet speakers can sound."

"Weve yet to come across a rival that can match the Ikon 6s combination of full-bodied midrange, treble sparkle and crisp timing."

"The Ikon 6s are great speakers. We cant wait to hear the rest of the new range."

'Smarthouse' - Australia - 5 STARS

Alvin Gold from Hi-Fi Choice (UK); "The IKON 6 is one of the finest-grained, most exquisitely detailed loudspeakers weve encountered at anywhere near its price."

"DALI's IKON 6 - a fast, agile and highly detailed loudspeaker that is explicit, regardless of its price."

"The bass here is more about speed and articulation than it is about weight and power, but this is a substantial loudspeaker."

"The unusual resolving quality is tied to a powerful sense of speed, of lightning reflexes and a quick release once the moment had passed."

Awarded "Editors Choice" and the "Stereo Silver Medal 2005" by Hi-Fi Choice

Wolfram Eifert from Stereoplay (Germany); "Adaptability and temperament have found a common denominator; DALI IKON 6."

"...its not typical for its class, it has a playfulness and in all possible ways transparent dynamics, that one could only expect at a much higher price point."

"Percussion, strings, flutes - everything that has anything with brilliance to do, sparkles fresh and definitely unforced..."

'Hi Fi Choice' Award.

Awarded the "HIGHLIGHT" award by Stereoplay

Awarded 5 stars by Polish Audio Video Magasine

Awarded "Best Stereo Speaker 2005 under $3000" by the Australian Magazine "Smarthouse"

Awarded "Best Buy" by Hi-Fi News (UK)

-----

If you manged to scroll down till here, then the only suggestion I have for Bala is not to rule out the Ikon 6 while auditioning. At the end of the day, if Bala likes what he hears from any speaker - that's the one for him!

Happy auditioning!

Well done un_leashme. What more do you want Bala ? - take your car/bike keys and zoom straight to your nearest Dali dealer and book the 6.

I have once with couple of audiophile friends done some extensive auditions of speakers under 65k for someone who listens primarily to western classical. This guy has studied music in Vienna and knows his sound.
It included the Monitor audio RS6, ikon6, Quad 22L, Dynaudio audience 1.3 (used). None could reproduce classical well. Finally he went with the Cadence Aritas which is quite good with the Genre. He is planning to upgrade to the Cadance Avitas now.

And heres something taken from the streoPILE review:
However, when played at louder volumes, the highly modulated portions of both of these orchestral recordings seemed a touch compressed, coagulated, and cacophonous. This, to me, indicated that the Ikon 6 does not like to be played too loud when playing complex recordings

Control of the woofers and reproduction of inner details, natural tone and timbre of instruments and resolving power does not come cheap. That is why you have some six series of speakers above the IKON series.

If you only you guys knew the nexus between the Rags and mass market manufacturers. Advt dollars is KING :D

Control of the woofers and reproduction of inner details, natural tone and timbre of instruments and resolving power does not come cheap. That is why you have some six series of speakers above the IKON series.

If you only you guys knew the nexus between the Rags and mass market manufacturers. Advt dollars is KING :D

:) you sound like Gene DellaSala of Audioholics.

I do agree that lower range speakers cannot fare well with classical music, but how much of a compromise or what value for money we get is the point.

branding some speaker as not worthy is bit too much.

Yes. Someone went with someone with THE musical knowledge in classical and auditioned set of speakers and found out they are not worthy of classical stuff. What ???

Always making bold statements, eh ?

Bala, money worth spending in Ikon 6 for CLASSICAL stuff indeed.

Last edited:
:) you sound like Gene DellaSala of Audioholics.

I do agree that lower range speakers cannot fare well with classical music, but how much of a compromise or what value for money we get is the point.

branding some speaker as not worthy is bit too much.

Agree with you regarding value. But the Ikon will be quite low on my list if I am looking for value speakers which can do classical well. I am may as well import some good DIY kit :)

If you only you guys knew the nexus between the Rags and mass market manufacturers....

Well the person who listens to the Kharma Grand Enigma priced at $1,000,000.00 (Only one system made)...

kharma_grand_enigma.jpg

...will find the Ikon Helicon a mass market manufacturers run of the mill product.

484_helicon-400_48.jpg

It's all relative!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back