Daphile: Audiophile music server

thx911

Dear Digital music lovers,

Came across this interesting music server on one of forums, piqued my interest as i was on the lookout for similar application.

Key Features from their website,

• Headless music server OS
  • Bitperfect and gapless playback of common audio formats up to 192kHz/24bit
  • Supports native DSD playback with DSD-over-PCM
  • Automatic configuration of music player for each audio device
  • Multiplayer support (eg. multiple USB DACs)
  • CD ripping with AccurateRip verification, automatic metadata tagging and cover art
  • Supports external file servers as music source (CIFS, NFS, sshfs & ftp)
  • Easy configuration and installation through the web interface
  • WiFi hotspot support (if compatible hardware exists)
  • Software update via web interface
  • Whole system image ISO-file is below 200MB
- See more at: Daphile Digital Music Convenience for Audiophiles

Hope this helps FMs aspiring to build computer based audio system.

Thx

Looks interesting, but I didn't see whether this server OS can be loaded over a USB stick and load it without the use of a HDD. Any idea about this as I can try if I can boot using the USB stick as my current music pc is loaded with Win7 and all the configurations are done for Foobar and DAC, hence do not want to disturb it.

Edit: Saw the instruction manual and it seems that we can load the ISO file to the Usb stick and use it to boot. But the instructions are more oriented towards Linux.

Thanks

Last edited:
Looks interesting but the details on the Daphile website appear to be a little sketchy and unclear. The headless operation sounds interesting too.
However, details on the PDF with download instructions are plain confusing.

Last edited:
The download & install instructions seem clear enough. Not sure if they have been updated since you folks last checked. Maybe I'll try it over the weekend.

How do you feel when a salesman says, "Trust me..."

Right. That's how I fee when I see the tag "audiophile" attached to stuff, especially software!

Having said that...

From the screenshots, it looks like this is an OS to turn a PC into a dedicated music system, an embedded device, if you like. That could be, for a dedicated media machine, just the thing. Might be well worth playing with stuff like Raspberyy pi, beaglebone, etc etc.

Wishing the site actually had more techie detail, but, aha!

Daphile is based on the open source Squeezebox Server, SqueezePlay and Linux.

So it would be a "competitor" for stuff like Community Squeeze? And might be prettier? In that case, yes, it is interesting, with or without the 'phile label :D

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back