DCB1 Build

Hi, Om and Sachin, kudos to your efforts. Lovely build and a good review by Jaibir. Om did inform me about the buffer and I spoke to Sachin also, but my preoccupation with a family member's sickness prevented me from getting the kit from Sachin, which however I plan to do soon.

Best wishes to Om and Sachin,

Lifewater

I just finished my DCB1 build (kit received around 5.30pm and assembly/replacement of B1 with this finished by 9.30PM) and its singing beautiful since then :yahoo::clapping:

SSP (OPA LM49990) - DCB1 - ACA - FH3 (all DIY) making an excellent combination.

Many thanks for Sachin and Om for their efforts and help to bring this experience to me.

Not sharing any pics as there is nothing new than whats already uploaded :D

Now enjoying the double decker:)

Will reserve critical judgement for future to allow the new board some time to burn in.

I have been listening to the double decker for a few days now. I honestly don't hear an improvement over a single DCB1. May be improvements are system dependent?

I have been listening to the double decker for a few days now. I honestly don't hear an improvement over a single DCB1. May be improvements are system dependent?

It depends upon your source. If your sources already have good current driving output buffers then you won't get the loading effect on them. Double buffer May not beneficial. But for many DIY or tuners which has aux output taken from decoding stages benefit from this.
Also for many of us who use lower impedance volume pot like LDR based light speed attenuators, it has only 10K impedance. It needs to be hidden from source, otherwise source may not happy driving it.

Last edited:
Another happy DCB1 builder here. Many thanks again to OM and Sachin.

Dc offset 0.3/0.2mV.

Sounds much cleaner. Very very nice imaging. IMHO that's the ultimate achievement over the original B1. Voice, instruments all have their clear and specific space and this is very obvious while listening. Overall a nice and simple upgrade.

The small board fitted well within Pearl2 cabinet thus reducing some length of interconnects.

Regards,
Bhaskar

@Om/Sachin: can we use something like a DPDT as a passive two-way source selector for the DCB1? Having only one source is impractical as I switch between two turntables and a CP player:). I can compromise to one TT and one CDP.

Do you think it will compromise the sonics? FWIW, I use a DPDT on the B1 to select Source 1 or 2. I do plan to complete the source selector kit someday (got ages ago from Sachin:))

@Om/Sachin: can we use something like a DPDT as a passive two-way source selector for the DCB1? Having only one source is impractical as I switch between two turntables and a CP player:). I can compromise to one TT and one CDP.

Do you think it will compromise the sonics? FWIW, I use a DPDT on the B1 to select Source 1 or 2. I do plan to complete the source selector kit someday (got ages ago from Sachin:))
You can add simple switch for selection.
http://www.electronix.com/images/34-409.jpg

You can use DPDT switch for input selection. I am facing the same problem with DCB1, but too lazy to wire 5:1 source selector:D

Regards,
Sachin

I have Pass B1 with 3 input selectors and remote control for volume.
Now I am planning to build DCB1 myself. Can i remove the existing circuit of my PassB1 and add direct coupled circuit? Please suggest, as I want to keep the facility of remote and input selector as it is.

I have Pass B1 with 3 input selectors and remote control for volume.
Now I am planning to build DCB1 myself. Can i remove the existing circuit of my PassB1 and add direct coupled circuit? Please suggest, as I want to keep the facility of remote and input selector as it is.

Remote control is extremely cool.

I want one:)

How did you implement it? Is it available as a kit somewhere?

You should be able to remove your existing B1 board and install DCB1 with the existing setup. Afterall, the B1 with two inputs is made into a single input device when we want to use an outboard source selector (by shorting one pair of the source selection links on the B1 board).

+1, that's a cool idea

Infact am kind of hooking a bluetooth audio receiver to one of the source selector ports to have wireless audio streamed :) experimented with my mobile dongle and its ok..

If we can have remote and source selection remotely that would be icing on the cake..

Hi Jls001,
I bought B1 form FM HIFIPALL4ALL .

He can better answer your query. even this B1 has extra pre-amplifier circuit, which we can start by moving one knob and attaching RCA to another output which is meant for pre-amp mode. But i never tried that output. I was
happy listening in buffer mode. I thought it would be disrespect to sir Nelson,:)

I forgot to add that this one has LCD screen, which shows input selected and volume levels in db. Now what?

Remote control is extremely cool.

I want one:)

How did you implement it? Is it available as a kit somewhere?

You should be able to remove your existing B1 board and install DCB1 with the existing setup. Afterall, the B1 with two inputs is made into a single input device when we want to use an outboard source selector (by shorting one pair of the source selection links on the B1 board).

Last edited:
dheerajin, you can replace your B1, with DCB1. But IMO you will need good dual power supply like we build for this forum. Because B1 has single 18-14V PS, DCB1 needs dual +/-10V PS. As far as I remember, you box does not have r-core and OPS. But you have separately implemented that. So point to be noted. :)

dheerajin, you can replace your B1, with DCB1. But IMO you will need good dual power supply like we build for this forum. Because B1 has single 18-14V PS, DCB1 needs dual +/-10V PS. As far as I remember, you box does not have r-core and OPS. But you have separately implemented that. So point to be noted. :)
Yes..trafo should be replaced . i remember, you pointed out the same at that time.
@sachin..now you know what is required[emoji2]
This time i want to solder everything so please give me the availability of parts for DCB1 and trafo.

I understand your problem. But you know I kept it simple for DIY as many people can get source selectors from online and already having. You can use any good quality sealed DPDT switch.

As far as you keep wires flowing in one direction and short in length, it won't affect sonics.

You can add simple switch for selection.
http://www.electronix.com/images/34-409.jpg
This has many duplicates in market and easily develop loose contact. Try to get original. Also mounting these switches and finding knob over it is one more headache. That is why I prefer simple lever type toggle switch.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back