decide beween 3 TVs at 55K

beebwa

Hi am a newbie have posted in What to buy so this may sound as a repeat.
Just moved to Goa (outlets limited) and want to invest and join the new world of Panel TVs from crt.
Read thru and have concluded that Plasmas seem to have edge over LCDs in general usage.

Note Goa's Panasonic co showroom had only 6 models on display 42 X10 S10 C10 plus 3 LCD only (didn't pay much attn as plasma is 1st choice unless persuaded otherwise in replies.)
SS showroom only 1 model plasma b450 rest LCDs plus the LG PQ70 but on 1st floor with protective film so could not see pq properly an did n have DTH.

LG showroom pq60r only on display rest LH series. (60r was set up above eye level at least 7feet above ground. plus no dth connection only showroom demo dvd with xd on/off split. (annoying).

My choice of TV spread over three locations so side by side comparison not possible. Unlike you luck guys in metros Displays are limited here in Goa.

Usage will be 75% DTH tata-sky (better half needs to be happy)
20% dvd movies
10% off HD which should increase to 50%.
Budget 50-55K can be stretched if exceptional model recommended to 60k.
Do not have HT but will invest that why limiting TV to 55-60K

Narrowed to:
Pana: C10 @44K + 3yrs warranty.
SS b430 52k B450 57K
LGpq choice between PQ60@41K /70 52K

Am leaning between SS and Panasonic only having read some reservations on LG as its caters for VFM market in forum so leading sometimes to compromise on PQ. (maybe i'm wrong.)

Did not find find reviews on B430 assumed picture quality same as B450 except for peripherals.

I know that am asking a lot as it is down to personal preferences BUT as cannot see side by side needed some input in pros n cons of Panasonic vs SS

Will be at a min distance of 9 - max of 12.5 feet from TV display unit vs Wall mount. Would this impact on size an viewing PQ.
Have window to right @ 4.2 feet and 1 rear of TV.
My preference is Tata sky and movies original CD part DVDs, may be avi n DIvx movies and sometimes from external HD .
Viewing is different from viewing original DVDs But this is what is the situation presently.
Will definitely be moving to DVDs and Ext HD downloaded movies.
Have a teenage son hence new upgrades.
Have 512 kbps unlimited D/L spped so he will be downloading movies so i need to future proof or have a capable TV.

I'm not an expert in comparing all the aspects of display quality as no side by side facility exists in GOA.

Pls advice budget can be increased to 60K advice alternate if necessary to consider.
Would you experts advise I got to a metro and pick up or stick to retailer in Goa would this affect service n warranty.?

I know its a long email but opinions help.

You should be getting both the samsung's at less that 45K.
I have a b450 and its quite good. I view it from a max distance of 10 feet and min distance of 5 ft.DTH using Sun is crisp and clear.HD contents are wonderful.

You should be getting both the samsung's at less that 45K.
I have a b450 and its quite good. I view it from a max distance of 10 feet and min distance of 5 ft.DTH using Sun is crisp and clear.HD contents are wonderful.

Thanks for reply
PS42A430 Plasma 52000
PS42B450 Plasma 59000
These are the prices mrp by sammy dealer in Goa
Negotiations will bring down by 10% max
Cannot achieve below 45K here in Goa its almost a monopoly.

Where can I pick up below 45K can you name a couple of stores and links I'll call them an see if del possible to Goa

Anybody else can please advise.

Thanks for reply
PS42A430 Plasma 52000
PS42B450 Plasma 59000
These are the prices mrp by sammy dealer in Goa
Negotiations will bring down by 10% max
Cannot achieve below 45K here in Goa its almost a monopoly.

Where can I pick up below 45K can you name a couple of stores and links I'll call them an see if del possible to Goa

Anybody else can please advise.
For SD, Go with Samsung.. I own a LG PQ60 and did extensive comparison on PQ60 and B450.

You can get the samsung plasmas ~45k in multibrand showrooms.
Please avoid samsung showrooms like plague.

Prices in Hyderabad..

Multi Brand showroom,
PS42B450 ~43k with finance.
PS50B450 ~57k with finance.

Samsung showroom,
PS42B450 ~53k + Financing Extra 1.5k
PS50B450 ~65.5k + Financing Extra 1.5k

Wonder is that these two shops are within 100 mts to each other and the price difference is almost >10k!

Reply from samsung showroom manager.. Sir, Those are special prices for multi brand showrooms having LG, Sony etc.. If you buy from us, this is the rate.. But even if you buy from them, Only we will deliver and provide service!!!

I dont understand how they sell any TVs.

Alternatively, The LG showroms here provided the 'almost' best prices in the city.

Either visit the nearest multibrand showroom who has samsung.. If there are none, go out of goa and buy in nearby location. Grab your phone and call the stores for quote before you go. You will thank me.

Dealer list..

Lcd Tv Dealers Samsung in Goa - Justdial

Click on individual dealer name to get the phone number/address etc.

Extremely grateful for the prompt response.

Here multibrand showrooms have only 1 tV of alternate barnds on display on average
So a showroom will have perhaps 4 sony's 2 others
or 3 LGs and 3 Sammys but not he spectrum.
Avg size of showroom for TVs is 20sq mts

Will call the rest I have visited :
CMM biggest dept store in excess of 12000 sq ft mainly household +
But showcases: only SS 3 Tvs 1 led 1 32"LCD 1 40" LCD
LG PQ60 LH 42" Scarlet 42" cant recall model and 1 Jazz
and Sony Bravias 4 TVs 21" - 40" in a space of about 250 sq foot ie 12' wide by 25' long area.
This should give you a picture of what Goas TV showrooms are like
They did not have any Sammy 42" on display but would gladly order.
They were convincing me to take the LGpq60 at spl of 41k (mrp 51K)
But you avised otherwise on LG in comparison.

Casa Madhav tried to get me onto LCD 550 @ 64k did not reco Plasma.

Aniket is SAMSUNG PLAZA giving only 10% off price. on display 8 Flat panel sammys in total + 2 LG pq60 at 50K pq 70 @ 53K + 1 small panny @26K
and Videocon and other brands VFM.

Panny showroom massive 15' wide by 60' long But only a side wall dedicated to wall mounted TVs dispalying 6 in total 3 plasmas 3 LCD. rest appliances and phones.

My friend very frustrating.

I will start to call around and then visit others and also take atrip out if reqd. seems that i have no choice in the matter.

Thx and sorry for rant

For SD, Go with Samsung..
I own a LG PQ60 and did extensive comparison on PQ60 and B450.

You can get the samsung plasmas ~45k in multibrand showrooms.
Please avoid samsung showrooms like plague.

Alternatively, The LG showrooms here provided the 'almost' best prices in the city.

Already thanked you but erroneously assumed you did not reco LG sorry how did i err when you own one
Do you reco LG or shall i stick wit Sammy.
Now that the deadline cannot be 2moro as a lot of calling has to be done

Already thanked you but erroneously assumed you did not reco LG sorry how did i err when you own one
Do you reco LG or shall i stick wit Sammy.
Now that the deadline cannot be 2moro as a lot of calling has to be done

Again depends on your usage. LG is a capable TV but not quite close to the samsung. It has black levels higher than LCDs, USB playback, Great sound etc. When I bought, samsung were nowhere to be seen and got the LG conisering the VFM and better SD quality and stunning looks compared to panasonic.

Samsung is better in PQ (period). but you need to invest on a USB media player, a sound system (horrible speakers)

Not dissapointed with it but have to acknowledge that samsungs are better in SD and panasonics are better in HD. LG is a good TV overall considering VFM.

Keep in mind that LG 'LCDs' are poor in black levels. Keep away from them. Plasma is still better.

Sufice to say that if I got the chance to demo samsung alongside LG, I would have picked up the samsung.

Again depends on your usage.

Samsung is better in PQ (period). but you need to invest on a USB media player, a sound system (horrible speakers)

panasonics are better in HD.
LG is a good TV overall considering VFM.
Plasma is still better.

Sufice to say that if I got the chance to demo samsung alongside LG, I would have picked up the samsung.

Must thank you for being so honest an to the point in this forum. Its gr8 to know that there are still people who have the interest of others at heart.
Its now down to Sammy and Panny.

My usage will be mainly Tatasky and some Dvds of a basic dvd player for now.
This edges the Sammy over the Panny.

Will be investing in a Terra-byte hard drive for additional movies.
Will be plugging in a Tosh satellite P105 with vista n Media centre into TV
Will the Sammy do?

Now my ignorance on the field for sammy obviously I'll need add ons
Can you please tell me what is
1. USB media player How much? n Best place to buy ?
2. Sound Yamaha 195 is it OK " " " " " " ?
3. JBL cs " " " " " " ?

Will the Panny require the same or not ?

Panny C10 at 44 k perhaps I can pick up a Sammy at 49K after hard negotiating.
What should I buy?

My usage will be mainly Tatasky and some Dvds of a basic dvd player for now.
This edges the Sammy over the Panny.

Will be investing in a Terra-byte hard drive for additional movies.
Will be plugging in a Tosh satellite P105 with vista n Media centre into TV
Will the Sammy do?

Now my ignorance on the field for sammy obviously I'll need add ons
Can you please tell me what is
1. USB media player How much? n Best place to buy ?
2. Sound Yamaha 195 is it OK " " " " " " ?
3. JBL cs " " " " " " ?

Will the Panny require the same or not ?

You cannot plug-in laptop/computer to B430. It does not have VGA in. Get the B450 if you decide on samsung. A normal monitor out cable will do for B450/C10.

If you have a good enough laptop, No need for dedicated media player. These typically cost $100 in the US (WD TV). Here it is 10k.

Slightly inferior are Philips upscaling DVD players which costs ~4k and plays DVDs also along with USB capability. You can see the comparison in http://www.hifivision.com/media-streaming-players/3801-wd-tv-vs-oppo-dvdp-vs-philips-4750-a.html.

Only LG has USB movie playback. Both C10 and B450 does not and need a media player. LG also plays only SD content through USB.

Panny C10 at 44 k perhaps I can pick up a Sammy at 49K after hard negotiating.
What should I buy?

You need to decide here. Hope you have read my comment in the other thread.
Please note that while LG/Panny costs in goa are inline with all-india prices, I see samsung is priced high from the numbers you have posted.

Best Prices in Hyd 43k for PS42B450 & 57k for PS50B450.

The PS42B430 costs ~39k.

Last edited:
Only LG has USB movie playback. Both C10 and B450 does not and need a media player. LG also plays only SD content through USB.

Is a USB port be necessary?
Hope to use a WD TB hard drive to watch movies?
With all the other connections on the TVs cannot a external hard drive or comp be connected to the TV.
Will I be able to watch my pictures (jpg etc on the panny and sammy without usb port.?

You need to decide here. Hope you have read my comment in the other thread.

Did read Thx.
But as price diff were high U suggested Panny.
how about if sammy avail to me at 45K from B-lore?
would U reco this over Panny for 2 k diff.

Please note that while LG/Panny costs in goa are inline with all-india prices, I see samsung is priced high from the numbers you have posted.

Best Prices in Hyd 43k for PS42B450 & 57k for PS50B450.

The PS42B430 costs ~39k.

Thx for all the advice given to now.

Am in a better position to decide and a bit more knowledgeable.

Grateful and obliged
May the new year ring in peace prosperity and happiness always to you.. and success in all your endeavours. Best wishes n Happy New Year.

This applies to all the forum members too
400_F_14711265_j0umAXC9qpSZ7EQws0Fkj3s1zM5V3W2d.jpg

HNY 2010

Is a USB port be necessary?
Nothing comes close to convinience of watching a movie using a pen drive connected to the USB port especially if the TV is wall mount.

Hope to use a WD TB hard drive to watch movies?
With all the other connections on the TVs cannot a external hard drive or comp be connected to the TV.

With the LG, You can connect the hard drive directly to the USB port and access the contents directly via TV's UI interface.

You can connect the laptop/computer to all the TVs (panny, samsung, LG) using the VGA in cable. It is capable of handling the HD resolutions.
If your laptop has a HDMI out (most recent laptops have one), You can directly connect it to one of the TV's HDMI port.

Will I be able to watch my pictures (jpg etc on the panny and sammy without usb port.?

With Panny, Yes. You can directly insert the SD card from your camera to the panny's SD card reader and access the photos.
With Sammy, No. You can view the photos only if the TV is connected to the computer/laptop and the laptop displays the slide show.

But as price diff were high U suggested Panny.
Yes.

how about if sammy avail to me at 45K from B-lore?
would U reco this over Panny for 2 k diff.
Yes. I recommend if it is the B450. If it is the B430, No.

Since you primary requirement for a lot of days to come is SD, Sammy is the ideal choice. Panny would be a compromise even if you get it cheaper. But once you start owning either, You will be happy, That is where the cost difference and VFM comes in.

Frankly, Iam not able to draw a line on what is the price difference at which you should stop considering the samsung.

Baseline is, Samsung is capable of 100Hz and Much more vibrant colours and has a better SD Image processor/scaler than panasonic. Panasonic has better black levels and handles horizontal motion resolution and HD well. Decide how much more you are willing to pay for the sammy.

Best of luck

Yes. I recommend if it is the B450. If it is the B430, No.

Baseline is, Samsung is capable of 100Hz and Much more vibrant colours and has a better SD Image processor/scaler than panasonic. Panasonic has better black levels and handles horizontal motion resolution and HD well. Decide how much more you are willing to pay for the sammy.

Best of luck

Hi

Thx for the input Unfortunately have not finalised my purchase as havent been able to get out of goa.

However will be in Bangalore 18th-19th afternoon.
Can you point me to the showrooms I shuld visit there to source the best VFm 40-42" Plasma.

Samsung B450 has been narrowed down to my final choice thx to Blasto
I believe that sourcing this would be a problem today!!!
Alternate models at around a budget of 45k would be welcome for me to look at whilst I am there maybe some new models have been launched since my last post?

Can you point me to the showrooms I shuld visit there to source the best VFm 40-42" Plasma.
In Bangalore, best place to look for Panasonic plasmas is Modern World, Old Airport Road, Domlur. They also keep Samsung, but I didnt see any Samsung plasmas on display (they had most of the Pana plasmas C10, X10, S10, V10 on display), they had only Samsung LCDs, but you can enquire. Do call me (09845348102) if you need any more details/ directions about the showrooms in Bangalore.

Hi

Thx for the input Unfortunately have not finalised my purchase as havent been able to get out of goa.

Samsung B450 has been narrowed down to my final choice thx to Blasto
I believe that sourcing this would be a problem today!!!
Alternate models at around a budget of 45k would be welcome for me to look at whilst I am there maybe some new models have been launched since my last post?

Hi.
I am interested in buying the Samsung PS50b450 in hyderabad. At which showroom does it sell for under 55k ??

Thanks

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back