Dedicated CD player or External DAC

That takes a lot of words to explain, but very easy to tell when you hear the sound :)
If you know the difference between the sound of a CD player and mobile phone. A digital sounding source/DAC would be half way through between the two.

By the way, I too have a RPi based Allo Boss network player, the another room. It is good for the price but does not compare with a dedicated CD player. You may want to consider Allo USB bridge with a good dedicated DAC instead. That may need you to extend your budget a bit though.

Regards,
Sharad
That's nice explanation... I got my answer & no ambiguity now... I want to get the best sound... So will go for CD player only. Will try to get Marantz 6006 UK edition... If not possible... Will go for Denon 520 or 720.

CD6006 does not support DSD files. Check I think it also does not support FLAC file formats.
CD player beats a more expensive dac. With a dac i used to listen to less of more music, but with cdp i listen to more of the same music, you know what i mean, DAC for explorei
Hi All,
For stereo music CD player considered best source but now a days external DAC had no features like USB play, network/bluetooth connection along with the option for other connectivity available. Can anyone compare if still CD player is must for stereo or dac does this job. Considering digital audio available.

CD player beats a more expensive dac. With a dac i used to listen to less of more music(too many skips), but with cdp i listen to more of the same music, you know what i mean, DAC for exploring with streaming services and CDP for dedicated repeated listening. But dont overspend as with the high quality streaming audio and video such as netflix, your cdp will eventually find less playtime.

Cd6006 supports all possible lossless as well as compressed formats with CD & USB... So no worries of format support...

Cd6006 supports all possible lossless as well as compressed formats with CD & USB... So no worries of format support...
Check the Manual no where it has mentioned regarding FLAC and DSD format support where as in SA8005 and AVR manuals it is clearly mentioned about these file formats.

CD 6006 doesn't support Flac or DSD. It does play Wav files well, SQ 'almost' on par with Cds.
Buy a good Cdp ; since you have CD collection, and you're OK with burning newer files to Cds - you can add a good DAC anytime later and use this as a Transport. A better DAC over CD 6006 will be costlier.

CD 6006 doesn't support Flac or DSD. It does play Wav files well, SQ 'almost' on par with Cds.
Buy a good Cdp ; since you have CD collection, and you're OK with burning newer files to Cds - you can add a good DAC anytime later and use this as a Transport. A better DAC over CD 6006 will be costlier.
Very well said my dear friend... No flac support... Again confused... I have mistaken read it plays all formats but not... Now no CD player in 30k price range which supports all formats....

Best to buy a device that does one thing really well instead of a jack-of-all-trades.

In any case, a flac file or DSD file are usually meant to be played from a computer or dedicated hardware media player.

The ability of a CD player to play certain files from an USB drive should be considered a bonus feature, and not the main feature.

As others have said if you have lots of audio CDs, it's tough to beat even a decently good CD player, using either a combination of

1/ computer and software media player together with a DAC, (computer here meaning a PC, laptop, one-board computer like Raspberry Pi, etc). Or

2/ a hardware media player with its own custom-built software outputting either analog or a digital format to drive a DAC.

Instead of the list of CDPs you had mentioned so far, I would choose to go two totally different paths:

a/ consider a midrange Arcam player.

b/ search for an old Sony BDP-S380 Bluray player. It has amazing analog output. Later, if you want to go down the DAC path, it is an excellent CD transport. You can pair it with a Rs 2L or higher DAC and this Sony won't be the weak link in the chain. It will actually keep up with a better DAC.

Last edited:
Best to buy a device that does one thing really well instead of a jack-of-all-trades.

In any case, a flac file or DSD file are usually meant to be played from a computer or dedicated hardware media player.

The ability of a CD player to play certain files from an USB drive should be considered a bonus feature, and not the main feature.

As others have said if you have lots of audio CDs, it's tough to beat even a decently good CD player, using either a combination of

1/ computer and software media player together with a DAC, (computer here meaning a PC, laptop, one-board computer like Raspberry Pi, etc). Or

2/ a hardware media player with its own custom-built software outputting either analog or a digital format to drive a DAC.

Instead of the list of CDPs you had mentioned so far, I would choose to go two totally different paths:

a/ consider a midrange Arcam player.

b/ search for an old Sony BDP-S380 Bluray player. It has amazing analog output. Later, if you want to go down the DAC path, it is an excellent CD transport. You can pair it with a Rs 2L or higher DAC and this Sony won't be the weak link in the chain. It will actually keep up with a better DAC.
Thanks dude but Budget is the problem in your solutions...right now I can't spend this much here....

In your case, since you have a large collection of CDs and you are having a tough budget it is advisable to go with a CD player. Around 30K you will get a good CD player with USB support. You may for the time being go with a DAP for those unsupported formats DSD, FLAC etc playback.

But for a musical buff having lot of CDs and digital files can not go without an external DAC whether you have a CD player or not.

If you have a good CD player you don't really need a DAC to play your CDs. If you also want to play files, it's another matter.

You may for the time being go with a DAP for those unsupported formats DSD, FLAC etc playback.

flac can be converted to wav without loss (using something like the free MediaCoder application on Windows) and if the CDP supports wav playback through USB, at least the issue of playing flac is resolved. Ability to play DSD too is desirable, but ask yourself how many albums do you own in DSD format? Do you plan to keep buying music in DSD format? Is your type of music being released in DSD? Further, do you want to invest in a DAC that will play DSD natively and not DoP (DSD over PCM)?

flac can be converted to wav without loss (using something like the free MediaCoder application on Windows) and if the CDP supports wav playback through USB, at least the issue of playing flac is resolved. Ability to play DSD too is desirable, but ask yourself how many albums do you own in DSD format? Do you plan to keep buying music in DSD format? Is your type of music being released in DSD? Further, do you want to invest in a DAC that will play DSD natively and not DoP (DSD over PCM)?
I am no way considering playing DSD files as I listen to old Hindi songs & sometime new songs... So not worried about DSD but want to get most of pure music from my existing collection... Also your point is right that files play by USB is extra feature... In my case not mandatory... I have already burnt half of my song collection as audio CDs ...so irrespective of format in it.... All CD players can play them...

Also your point is right that files play by USB is extra feature.

See you have few good options in your budget ~35k
1.if you are OK with Wav Only and good CD functionality go with marantz CD 6006;

2. if you want dsd /Flac player +Streamer +DAC option go with Yamaha Wxc 50. Which will pair with your Yamaha A500 well. Pair it with a good cdp as a transport to Wxc 50, (any of cdp from your list) to get added functionality to play Cds as well.

3. Go for pre-owned options where you can get a better deal or better Cdp/DAC etc. You Need to keep watching the market section of HFV.

4. There are few good options(Spec wise) on aliexpress, like Smsl and some not so popular brands which have Cdp and DAC with USB media player functionality, but the lack of any warranty, or repairability, charging of customs and lack of reviews makes this option quite confusing /risky.

5. Finally, If you are a person like me, who loves the journey more than destination then welcome to HFV...

Consider the suggestion for the Sony
This is a continuation from a previous thread AFAIK...

@arvindrjh You have to prioritize which medium you need CD player or DAC. As they are two different components, You should not compare them as for how the sound quality works. Make a decision and then focus on what best CD player OR DAC you can get within your budget.

@arvindrjh You have to prioritize which medium you need CD player or DAC. As they are two different components, You should not compare them as for how the sound quality works. Make a decision and then focus on what best CD player OR DAC you can get within your budget.
Honestly speaking... I never heard a song using good DAC... And only once a CD player that was Denon(don't know which model) but CD player sound was extraordinary on the Bose shop of Bangalore.... Then I purchased Amplifier & speakers but due to lack of budget could not buy a good source Now with some money in hand trying to get Best Buy of source to play songs with me.... I am here because I I know here I will get more experienced people & can get best possible source with your experience...

See you have few good options in your budget ~35k
1.if you are OK with Wav Only and good CD functionality go with marantz CD 6006;

2. if you want dsd /Flac player +Streamer +DAC option go with Yamaha Wxc 50. Which will pair with your Yamaha A500 well. Pair it with a good cdp as a transport to Wxc 50, (any of cdp from your list) to get added functionality to play Cds as well.

3. Go for pre-owned options where you can get a better deal or better Cdp/DAC etc. You Need to keep watching the market section of HFV.

4. There are few good options(Spec wise) on aliexpress, like Smsl and some not so popular brands which have Cdp and DAC with USB media player functionality, but the lack of any warranty, or repairability, charging of customs and lack of reviews makes this option quite confusing /risky.

5. Finally, If you are a person like me, who loves the journey more than destination then welcome to HFV...

This is a continuation from a previous thread AFAIK...
Thanks pal for your view... First 2 options seems to be OK with me...

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back