Dedicated CD player

Arijit

Hi,

I use a Philips DVD player with my DNM amp and Sonodyne Sonus 2605 speakers. The sound output is good for audio CDs but not so good for mp3.
But now there's this itch for buying a dedicated audio CD player to replace my DVD player. And I want to play only audio CDs.

Which is a reasonably priced 20-bit CD player for a budget? My question is (and all you audiophiles don't cringe at my question), is there really a difference between the sound output of a Sony discman > amp > speakers versus a Cambridge Audio upsampling CD player > same amp > same speakers?

I want a practical and inexpensive solution for this itch. Does it really make sense to buy a dedicated CD player? Can someone give a demo of the difference in quality?

I lost the number of the person (can't post his name here) I bought my DNM amp from, so if you are listening, please call me on 9845368591 and help me out. Need to hear the difference before shelling out money.

Arijit

In the mumbai meet we definitely found the Pioneer dedicated CDP player (i think its was PDS703) to be much better than the other sources (Pioneer 610 was close but the difference was definitely there).

There are 2 things about a dedicated cdp which help in enhancing your listening experience. 1) The cd transport 2) the DAC
Both of these are of inferior quality in a mass market dvdp.

Some low cost dedicated cdps
Marantz 5003 : around 16k
Marantz 6003 : around 22k

Cambridge audio DV99 (dvd player but plays audio decently) : around 14K
Cambridge audio 640c : around 21K-24k

Please walk into a shop with your discman/dvdp and ask them that you want to hear the cd player compared to your discman/dvdp. Trust me it will blow your mind :eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
In the mumbai meet we definitely found the Pioneer dedicated CDP player (i think its was PDS703) to be much better than the other sources (Pioneer 610 was close but the difference was definitely there).

There are 2 things about a dedicated cdp which help in enhancing your listening experience. 1) The cd transport 2) the DAC
Both of these are of inferior quality in a mass market dvdp.

Some low cost dedicated cdps
Marantz 5003 : around 16k
Marantz 6003 : around 22k

Cambridge audio DV99 (dvd player but plays audio decently) : around 14K
Cambridge audio 640c : around 21K-24k

:

Hi Sachin........plz mention the price of Pioneer dedicated CDP player (i think its was PDS703) Thanks!

hi spiro..............plz let me know sale link for "If you get marantz 5001(old one),it is award winner & was available on our forum for Rs.10k." Thanks!
"

thanks guys...
I guess it DOES make sense to buy a player after all... the itch ain't for nothing then :)

hi arijit
when i feel the need to upgrade i always look at the weakest link in the chain. i've got no experience with your set up but if you believe your phillips isnt living up to the sq that the sonodyne and dnm can produce then a good cd player will make a difference. but if the speakers and amp cant do much more than what they already are then youre wasting your money. i would believe that the phillips would do a pretty good job on your set up

If you get marantz 5001(old one),it is award winner & was available on our forum for Rs.10k.
If you still want to listen flac/mp3,a PC with good soundcard is another option.
If you have desktop,add Xonar sound card(ST/essence)for better sound within Rs.8.5k-

Asus XONAR ESSENCE STX ? Lynx - The Audio , Electronics & Computer Online Superstore In India
Asus Xonar Essence ST ? Lynx - The Audio , Electronics & Computer Online Superstore In India

hi spirovious.. i have pio 600 same as 610 in terms of sound and i am planning to keep it as my source does xonar sounds better than pio?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back