Dedicated HT room construction and set up - from scratch

ece2k2

I am planning to construct a dedicated home theater room and I have a few questions to start with. I have a small hall just outside of my house that I would like to rebuild for this purpose. It is a 36' x 20' x 7.5' building having metal sheet as its roof (picture attached). Since I am looking to build out a no compromise home theater, I have decided to build everything from scratch and not to reuse the building for HT purpose.

I am thinking about retaining the existing outer walls of the building as boundary walls and build an RCC structure within the existing walls. I hope the extra layer of walls outside would help me in some soundproofing of the new building. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, I would like to build out the home theater room in the shape of a trapagon (http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_golden_trapagon.php) as this shape is supposed to offer the best quality sound (picture attached). I was wondering if there is something that I need to look into or if any additional steps are necessary during the construction stage of the home theater room building. Just trying to take things slow so as to get the best results here.

I look forward to your thoughts/ideas. Thank you very much!

Attachments

• HT_room_dimensions.jpg
    HT_room_dimensions.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 55
  • current_building.jpg
    current_building.jpg
    542.8 KB · Views: 57
Your room is a good size room. Since you are building it from scratch, you have good possibilities.

I would like to suggest you build the inner walls not of concrete but using gypsum boards. Concrete walls don’t flex and cause echoey reflections. You can use gypsum boards that can flex, fill the gap between outer walls and gypsum with insulation to absorb any flex of the walls. You can easily use the gap to run cables, do inwall speakers all around (No SBIR) from any speakers at all. You can open up yourself to a very low noise floor (which is quite high in india).

this approach is called “room within a room”. You will not have to do the trapezoid shape, but you can still do it if you desire.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back