Denon 1200W Vs Marantz NR1606

mayankdesai

Denon 1200W Vs Marantz NR1606

I am novice in the forum, and am planing to buy my hifi system in a week's time.*

Considering my budget, I have narrowed my amplifier selection to Denon 1200W and Marantz NR1606.*

Though there is not much price difference between the two, but while browsing over the forum, I found there are greater fan followers for Marantz.*

while I peaked into the specs, I found Denon 1200W has far better specs in terms of power output i.e.*

Denon 1200W: Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive) --> 80 W
Marantz NR1606: Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive) --> 50 W

Denon 1200W: Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive) -- > 120 W
Marantz NR1606: Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive) --> 70 W

Denon 1200W: Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 10% 1ch Drive) --> 175 W
Marantz NR1606: Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 10% 1ch Drive) --> 100 W

Does these power wattage output really matters in real world?

Does Quality output directly align with power specs of the amp Or greater wattages just produce loudness?

I never got a chance to listen both the amps head to head. But you guys are expert.:) Can you please guide me in making right choice for my buck

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

This is the real power number useful:

Others are peak power numbers.

Regarding x1200w v/s 1606:
x1200 is a full size AVR and 1606 is a slim line AVR. Marantz may be conservative on the power specification, but it is musically inclined. There are many happy owners of both.

Wattage matters depending on the speakers you intend to drive. What speakers do you intend to get (or own)?

Hi both are from the same parent company D&M holdings .Marantz are musically superior than Denon .Also their build quality . If you more inclined towards movies ,go for Denon otherwise for music, stick to Marantz .
Always make an audition and decide.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Hi

I used the Denon X1200 briefly from a friend as he was away for a week, honestly its an overhyped AVR with features... when you increase the volume, the sound starts to rattle like a maruti Omni trying to speed up to more than 90km/h on the highway and starts wobbling.....

I remember about a month ago one FM selling his 1200w because of some challenges etc....

Marantz is much smoother and all their models have the same required features..performance is commendable.....don't underestimate its puny 50watts....we have FM Murlidher who uses Dali Zenosr 7s on them.

If budgets are tight, you can look at the For Sale by Owner section or Hi Fi Ads.....there are a couple of Marantz models available.

If you are not into Atmos or DTS X which honestly is still developing and also an added expense....you can look at this option...

Limited Sp Offer! Slim 7.1 Marantz Powerful AVR Wifi Bluetooth 4k UHD - HiFiADS.com

Utilise the extra budget for something else.

It is not your call

I used the Denon X1200 briefly from a friend as he was away for a week, honestly its an overhyped AVR with features... when you increase the volume, the sound starts to rattle like a maruti Omni trying to speed up to more than 90km/h on the highway and starts wobbling.....

Leave the fact that it has received some very good reviews all over the net, something looks def wrong.. Denon's have huge following..

What speakers were you using with the AVR? May be you missed some setting?

Wattage matters depending on the speakers you intend to drive. What speakers do you intend to get (or own)?
I have shortlisted few.. Boston acoustic a26, Jamo 426 floor standing or taga harmony 606se.

This is the real power number useful:

Others are peak power numbers.

Regarding x1200w v/s 1606:
x1200 is a full size AVR and 1606 is a slim line AVR. Marantz may be conservative on the power specification, but it is musically inclined. There are many happy owners of both.
Yeah. You are right... Marantz is very slim as compared to Denon[emoji4]

Hi elangoas,

I have used a variety of speakers on the X1200w and there is no doubt that it is not steady performer....others could have a different experience and I have used a lot of brands and models through the years so getting the settings wrong is very very remote........it cant drive decent 100watts rms 8 ohms speakers smoothly which the NR can drive easily.

Denon is not like before...only their 2xxx and above models have some level of better performance......

Possibly Denon has a huge following as being the all in one AVR with everything but there are negatives too.....

Audioholics also gives us a good insight for power ratings of amps / avrs

AV Receiver and Amplifier Power Ratings Trends: Manipulating Wattage Ratings | Audioholics

@ mayankdesai,

Taga 606 would be a better option and suit the listening area well, you can add a sub later if there are budget challenges for now.(Taga SW 10). These speakers are 6 ohms and hence the Marantz NR series can pump out 70watts continuously without a challenge.

Hi elangoas,

I have used a variety of speakers on the X1200w and there is no doubt that it is not steady performer....

You mean they lack in powering the speakers to optimum listening levels?

I have used a lot of brands and models through the years so getting the settings wrong is very very remote........

Fair enough.

it cant drive decent 100watts rms 8 ohms speakers smoothly which the NR can drive easily.

This is from Sound & Vision test bench...Denon AVR-X1200W A/V Receiver Review | Sound & Vision

This is from the last page of the review..
2 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-ohm Loads 112.8 watts
2 Channels Continuously Driven, 4-ohm Loads 139.2 watts
5 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-ohm Loads 69.9 watts
7 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-ohm Loads 47.4 watts

Just curious on what speaker was Denon x1200 not able to drive?

Hi elangoas,

I have used a variety of speakers on the X1200w and there is no doubt that it is not steady performer....others could have a different experience and I have used a lot of brands and models through the years so getting the settings wrong is very very remote........it cant drive decent 100watts rms 8 ohms speakers smoothly which the NR can drive easily.

Denon is not like before...only their 2xxx and above models have some level of better performance......

Possibly Denon has a huge following as being the all in one AVR with everything but there are negatives too.....

Audioholics also gives us a good insight for power ratings of amps / avrs

AV Receiver and Amplifier Power Ratings Trends: Manipulating Wattage Ratings | Audioholics

@ mayankdesai,

Taga 606 would be a better option and suit the listening area well, you can add a sub later if there are budget challenges for now.(Taga SW 10). These speakers are 6 ohms and hence the Marantz NR series can pump out 70watts continuously without a challenge.
I'm using Denon x2200w, before that was yamaha RX-V477, I'm pretty satisfied with its performance for movies, if you can tweak the settings without relying much on Audessey eq it can play decent music too.

But again speakers & a bit higher version than x1200 matter here, I'm using Polk RTI series which gel well with Denon. Marantz does have a edge over denon especially for music ; but for movies (especially Blu-ray) , the difference is minimal.

I partially agree with you that, if you increase the volume above 75%, Denon looses a lot on sound quality in fact becomes irritating to listen to , whereas Marantz does not. But again I never had to go above 65% on volume; other than for checking purposes.

And also, at the price difference between the two, you can get a decent integrated amp dedicated to music.

i had a marantz avr & now have a auditioned a few diff speakers with different avrs. heard the marantz 1605, i think, with BA26 & some taga FS. also heard WD 220 with marantz. now i dont know if its the speakers or the avr but till now nothing has beat the sound of denon 1200 with polk rtis. all the other combos (incl yamaha 581 with polk) seemed very straight forward but denon & polk combo seemed to bring the music alive.

this is all imo ofc

Hi

Everyone I guess is entitled to their opinions and so as in the words of our FM...a choice can mean one man's poison or one man's bliss.....so choose your pick.....

Most technical sites have given their pros and cons....end of the day it is upto the end user who is investing in the product and using it.....

Technical sites offer information which is done in proper test conditions and environment, I am sure most of us are here to provide honest feedback from the real world as in our homes where we don't have dedicated treated special rooms etc.

So as it is always said, audition and decide whats best for your ears, budget, appearance and connectivity requirements.

Thanks All for your valuable opinions.
I will make an A/B comparison this weekend and will post my opinions.
Thanks again!!

I was a proud owner of NR1606 for 3 months and i found it great for both movies & music. Was driving comfortably with Zensor 7 as fronts and with rest of the dali series. Though currently sold to my friend as I am planning to move to 5.1.4 by next year.

Just noticed, the price of NR1606 has gone high in hifimart!!!!

Hi

Yes even i noticed that the prices are changed back to normal it seems ...somewhat comparable with HT store, Techno guru etc.

From what i heard, the dealers on amazon provide their warranty and there is no manufacturer or distributor warranty covered....so beware folks...

Back