Denon 1312xp: user review

akd

Last week I purchased Denon 1312xp HTiB. I am going to write a brief review about what and how I found

Contents:
1.Denon 1312 receiver
2.4 satellite wall mountable speaker, 1 center mountable speaker and a powered subwoofer
3.front speaker cables 5m, rear speaker cables ~ 12m, center speaker cable ~ 2m, mono rca subwoofer cable ~ 5m
4.Power cords,remote and batteries

salient points

1.Receiver:
its a basic AVR with enough input(4 HDMI, 3/4 analog, 1 coaxial and optical, rca stereo for external portable player)/outputs ( 1 HDMI, headphone, rca stereo line level for two extra back surrounding speakers). Set up is easy, clean GUI, no frills, enough power to drive bookshelves and not towers). It runs cool, I have run it continously for 5 hours without any signs of heating. Individual channel levels can be adjusted

2.Speakers:
basically small average fullrange drivers put into cheap glossy plastic boxes with binding ports. They are all light weight, of equal size and easily wall mountable.

3.Subwoofer:
Probably 7" driver, front vented, around 8-10 Kg weight, only LFE input, decent low frequency response.

Performance:
Remote control works just fine, no delays in GUI.
I watched
#BDrip via ASUS R3, the receiver faithfully creates 5.1 DTS sound with a decent punch
#BD via LG 550, excellent PQ and nice 5.1 sound
#Tata SKY HD (directly to TV via HDMI) connected via coaxial to the receiver. Watched a film in Star Gold HD, fantastic 5.1 sound with reasonable clear SQ.
#Voice clarity is fine, the center channel level can be adjusted accrding to individual taste
#surround effects are best in DTS mode and worst in multi channel stereo, the receiver automatically recognizes modes in the source. again surround level can be adjusted according to the needs
#Subwoofer finish is rather cheap, but creates good enough bass to shake windows, it doesn't migrate from its place, only LFE input is a severe limitation, but thats expected from a 9K speaker package.
#if the receiver is not used with full sound, clipping is absent.

well, my requirement was 90% movies, 10% sports channel, NO MUSIC at all. The speaker package costs around 9K which is not bad at all if not the best. I have tested music and as expected it is terribly bad

Conclusion: its for those who want a barebone HT only for movies, not looking for fancy features like wireless, ethernet etc., not planning for music (which is best in 2 channel set up), don't want to spend a fortune yet at least get a entry level AVR.

My vote for movies 7/10
for music 0/10 (its because I feel its a dumb thing to listen to 2 channel recordings in 5.1)
Its price is around 30-31K
I am happy with the purchase, but sad about the fact that I have to wait to buy my next dedicated audio equipment, i.e., a 10" subwoofer.

Hope it helps HT aspirants

Arnab

Nice review Arnab.
And you are not at all biased towards the product considering you own it.
What size room are you using it in ?

Nice review. You have been quite brutal on the subwoofer though :eek:hyeah:
You mostly need only line level input so do not worry if it is missing speaker level in (if that's what you meant). I am yet to come across someone using that feature of an active sub.

Thanks for the review. Me too looking a HTIB only for movies. Its nice to know that the receiver does not heat up. Onkyo though known for getting heated up. My requirement 100% movies. BTW, can the subwoofer be replaced with a better option?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back