Denon 1611 - Low Output

njaustin123

Hi All,
I was using Pioneer VSX 416 (DTS/DD) for the last 6-7 years and have been pretty happy with it. I just got a Denon 1611 (Dolby HD/DTS HD Master) from my friend and hooked up that to my Jamo S406 speakers (5 of them) and Jamo 250 sub. Overall Denon looks to be better than the Pioneer with softer (that's the way I like) music and better surround feel for movies. But the volume seems to be too low for Denon. With Pioneer, when I turn up to about -26 to 24 dB it was loud enough. But with Denon even with -10db I am not getting that punch and loudness especially for movies. Very much obvious with scenes from "Avatar". Any thoughts here?
One thing I can remember is that, with Pioneer I had changed the impedance from default 8 to 6 ohms as the Jamo speakers are 6 ohms. Is there a need to do that with Denon? I couldn't find any way to change Denon's impedance from its manaual.

Hi

If you already ran audyssey...do it again.....

https://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/hometheater/avreceivers/avr1611

After that you can calibrate manually the levels for the speakers....keep the AVR on 50% volume and do the adjustments to your liking....increase each speaker by +1 or +2 and see the difference.....

Also, the source levels need to be increased....advise to keep the same manually at +10 or 12....

You can post this query in the Denon owners thread, i am sure you will get immediate responses....

All the best....

Hi All,
I was using Pioneer VSX 416 (DTS/DD) for the last 6-7 years and have been pretty happy with it. I just got a Denon 1611 (Dolby HD/DTS HD Master) from my friend and hooked up that to my Jamo S406 speakers (5 of them) and Jamo 250 sub. Overall Denon looks to be better than the Pioneer with softer (that's the way I like) music and better surround feel for movies. But the volume seems to be too low for Denon. With Pioneer, when I turn up to about -26 to 24 dB it was loud enough. But with Denon even with -10db I am not getting that punch and loudness especially for movies. Very much obvious with scenes from "Avatar". Any thoughts here?
One thing I can remember is that, with Pioneer I had changed the impedance from default 8 to 6 ohms as the Jamo speakers are 6 ohms. Is there a need to do that with Denon? I couldn't find any way to change Denon's impedance from its manaual.
Just looking at the specs, denon is 75 watts where Pioneer is 100 watts per channel @ 8 ohms. That's just a start. I am sure others will chime in.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

Hi

After that you can calibrate manually the levels for the speakers....keep the AVR on 50% volume and do the adjustments to your liking....increase each speaker by +1 or +2 and see the difference.....

Also, the source levels need to be increased....advise to keep the same manually at +10 or 12....

You can post this query in the Denon owners thread, i am sure you will get immediate responses....

All the best....

I am yet to try Audyssey..Will see that.
What did you mean by "the source levels need to be increased"

And yes, will post it in Denon owners forum, didn't know it existed.

/
Just looking at the specs, denon is 75 watts where Pioneer is 100 watts per channel @ 8 ohms. That's just a start. I am sure others will chime in.

That is exactly what I am doubting. Since I had set 6 ohms in Pioneer it is rather outputting 135 watts per channel compared to 75 ohms in Denon where I have not changed the impedance. Maybe that causes the big difference. That's why the question is there a way to change impedance in Denon.

Hi

All the best....

I am yet to try Audyssey..Will see that.
What did you mean by "the source levels need to be increased"?

And yes, will post it in Denon owners forum, didn't know it existed.

If there is an option switch and see. Don't know much about the avr. These avr ratings are overrated most of the times.

Agree..hence thats why i trip on a Marantz when compared to a Denon anyday..although both are made by the same D & M Holdings...

Did audyssey and then manual fine tuning..It looks good now..Thank you all.

Still, if anybody knows any settings for Impedance please let me know.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back