Denon 1708

raman340

Hello Guys,
Just want to "separate" my questions from my Onkyo thread.

1) Has anybody heard of Denon's 1708's issues?
2) Does anyone have a pricing for Denon 1708? (will club with the 1st)

Best Regards
Raman

Hi Raman 340;)
I'm not sure of the pricing of Denon 1708 but I do have the pricing of Denon AVR 1707 7.1 Ch ,Costs around 30K in Delhi .
The Specs for this model are:-
75 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
Dolby Digital� EX, DTS-ES�, Pro Logic� IIx, DTS Neo:6, and DTS 96/24 processing
High-current, low-impedance amplifier design
192kHz/24-bit Analog Devices DACs
Dual-room/dual-source output
5.1-channel input for SACD or DVD-Audio
Video Conversion S-video/Composite to Component
Surround Modes DTS NEO:6, DTS ES, DTS 96/24, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital / AC-3

1 suggestion,if you can stretch your budget a lil bit,do consider the
MARANTZ SR4001 80 RMS X 7 AV Receiver
Costs around 36K & It was awarded Winner of Best AMP/AV Receiver of the Year 2007 $800-$1000- Sound + Image 2007 Awards
Specs for this model :-
80 Watts x 7 Channels All Discrete Amplifier Stages(20-20,000hz)
1080p via HDMI
Power Output (8 Ohm) 80W x 7
S/N Ratio 105dB
Freq. Response (Analog In) 8Hz - 100kHz (+/- 3 dB)
Freq. Response (Dig In) 8Hz - 45kHz (+/- 3 dB)
Power Consumption 500W
Analog L&R In 8
Analog L&R Out 3
Digital Optical In 3
Digital Coaxial In 2
Digital Optical Out 1
Digital Coaxial Out 1
M.R.A.C (Marantz Room Acoustic Calibration)
Digital Signal Processing Cirrus Logic- 32-Bit
DTS (ES, Discrete 6.1/ Matrix 6,1, Neo-6) � (+ 96/24)
Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx ,Circle Surround II.

Dolby Headphone
Phew... :D

Also you can try Marantz 5400 a 6.1 AVR with 90 W/channel. Its older and one level higher model to 4001 and available in delhi for lesser price now around 25k with original warranty. have a try, don’t worry as it’s not a 7.1 it is a very much value for your money. Denon and marantz all two division in the same company called D&M now.
-Sk

Last edited:
Thanks Samuel and SKT

I liked the specs for M4001. I will have a re-look. But I don't know what cost v/s feature benefit design will I get from shifting D->M. (Dolby HP for sure). But I am also planning to buy a pair of Sennheiser headphones. Lets see.
BTW will M4001 be able to handle 4 ohm high current speakers.?

Hi Raman340,
Yes the Marantz 4001 can handle 4ohm speaker load but I personally don't recommend cause it may affect its performance in the long run.You wont have much problem driving with 6ohm speakers though.

Music & Movie sounds are very dynamic,A 4ohm speaker can go much lower than its rated impedance.So an Amp rated at 8 ohm can easily handle 6 ohm,4ohm & may be lower too...But when handling lower impedance continously for a long time the Amp gets hot and can go into thermal protection mode for a moment.

So 8ohm load ->:)
6 ohm load->:p
4 Ohm load-> :eek:
2 ohm Load-> :mad:
Baseline -> :eek:

Anyways Enjoy & be happy

Hi Raman,

Hv seen the 1708 & heard it too. Besides all what has been said, its bulkier than the 1707 & most importantly has HDMI which the 1707 didn't have. You can look at the 1908 also. At Fairdeal in B'bay the 1708 is priced at ar Rs 20K & 1908 at ~ Rs 24K. Value for money i wd say. I'm personally settling for the 1708 which i'll be buying in a week or so.

Regards

Vinod

Hi Raman340,
Yes the Marantz 4001 can handle 4ohm speaker load but I personally don't recommend cause it may affect its performance in the long run.You wont have much problem driving with 6ohm speakers though.

Music & Movie sounds are very dynamic,A 4ohm speaker can go much lower than its rated impedance.So an Amp rated at 8 ohm can easily handle 6 ohm,4ohm & may be lower too...But when handling lower impedance continously for a long time the Amp gets hot and can go into thermal protection mode for a moment.

So 8ohm load ->:)
6 ohm load->:p
4 Ohm load-> :eek:
2 ohm Load-> :mad:
Baseline -> :eek:

Anyways Enjoy & be happy
Hi Samuel
Nice Depiction... in the end.
But I heard if the Amp vol is kept low and a clip point is set, then it wont overheat. Is it correct?
Naturally, all sellers say that the "amp in question" will run fine with 4 ohm loads. I read the manual of 1708 sometime back and it depicted the same info as you said. Just want to get first-hand feedback.

Hi Raman,

Hv seen the 1708 & heard it too. Besides all what has been said, its bulkier than the 1707 & most importantly has HDMI which the 1707 didn't have. You can look at the 1908 also. At Fairdeal in B'bay the 1708 is priced at ar Rs 20K & 1908 at ~ Rs 24K. Value for money i wd say. I'm personally settling for the 1708 which i'll be buying in a week or so.

Regards

Vinod

Hi Vinod
Good to find a fellow guy in the same boat.
I liked the 1708 for the new features (Audessey MultiEQ). But now I am confused (and upset) again for the HDMI part.
1) 1708 doesn't o/p audio via HDMI. You would need a coax/optical for sound.
2) What good is VDO only HDMI, when it doesn't also do:
a) inter-analog conversion
b) analog-HDMI conversion
(which is available in higher end versions)
Have you heard of Denon AVR-888?
Personally I feel that without the 2) feature, HDMI just reduces the no of cables needed (not a problem for me, I am concealing anyways).

And BTW is it first-hand and with bill stuff at Fairdeal?
I think thats a ROCKING price!!! (can I have a link to their site or their number)

for Vinod

Hi Vinod,

Can you please post the fairdeal's contact no? It would indeed be grateful of you.

Thanks
Raman

Fairdeal Electronics
Palton Road
(Manish Market) Shop # 41, 1st Floor,
Mumbai G.P.O.,
Mumbai - 400001

Phone: (22) 22617786, 22619292, 22625334

Hello everybody,

Thanks Cyrus. How is your experience with Fairdeal Electronics? Are they reliable--- I mean after sales service ? I am curious because their quotation is the lowest for AV receivers. Feedback from anybody is welcome.

Regards,

Siddhartha.

Hi Siddharth,
They are grey market in the true sense of the word. Expect no information or feed back really. Sound out at Heera panna, Tardeo, Mumbai is a better option.
Regards

dinyaar has rightly put it. I don't think you can expect any service from them. They just sell goods a a lower price and that is it. However I would suggest you to visit both of them and then decide.

sorry buddy, was out of the contry for a long period. in case u have not got fairdeal nos - here it is

Fairdeal Electronics
Palton Road
(Manish Market) Shop # 41, 1st Floor,
Mumbai G.P.O.,
Mumbai - 400001

Phone: (22) 22617786, 22619292, 22625334

May I add a late entry?

Harman Kardon AVR 240. Similarly priced and better than Denon Denon 1708 and MARANTZ SR4001, IMO. The advantage is you can easily get matching speakers from JBL (same parent company) which makes life extremely simple. With Denon and Marantz the worst nightmare is to find the matching speakers and get the combination right.

Harman Kardon is always a beautiful product to use , apart from the ease of use . The sound quality is amazing and its VFM , the newer looks makes it a better bargain , pair AVR 240 ( AVR 247 has come now ) with E series JBL speakers and the sound is Terrific. everyone who is looking for a HT setup should audition HK with JBL .

regards

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back