Denon 1912 or Marantz 5006 or Marantz 6006 or ...

Sumain

Dear All,

I am replacing the Denon 1908 in my family room (this unit will move to my bedroom).

Reasons for change - (1) not enough HDMI connections (2) want 2 zone capability to play speakers on my terrace also and (3) want Apple Airplay capability since I have set up an Airplay network.

At the least, I will want Denon 1912 (same power as before, but with above 3 added advantages.)

However, should I consider:

Marantz 5006
1. More power - 100w v 90w per channel (into 8 ohms). My family room, dining room and living room is one large contiguous area - maybe more power will help? I am running Wharfedale floor standing front speakers at the moment.
2. Better at music. Is this true? Is Marantz better at music? I am playing a lot of music now since I set up an Apple mac mini as my HTPC and loaded ITunes on it and all my CDs in full Apple lossless codec.

Marantz 6006
1. Still more power - 110w per channel
2. Marantz literature says it has - "high grade audio components". What does this mean in real terms?
3. Video scaling and de-interlacing via ADV8002 chip. Does this really help in any way. I am using a Panasonic 50" VT20 TV and Tata Sky HD. Will the non-HD channels look better with the Marantz 6006 doing the scaling?

Any other - Denon 2312?

I will be travelling to Singapore in about 10 days time and had planned to buy from there. Is it a good idea? Or should I buy from India with warranty?

Thanks in advance.

As a proud owner of Marantz 5005 I can say for Music it is the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you have the budget go for Marantz 6006. its the best value for money. We heard both the Denon 1912 and Marantz 5006 at the recent HT meet in Mumbai and the Marantz came thru with flying colors. The Denon in comparision sounded insipid. I am sure the 6006 will have a similar sound signature to the 5006.
Video scaling should not matter much, as your Tata sky HD box is already doing it to the SD channels thru HDMI out. The TVs upscaler can also do the job.So this should not be your priority while deciding on the AVR. Thats why most manufacturers are doing away with upscalers in their low to mid end models.
Finally please audition the Yamaha Aventage series before deciding. I recently heard Aventage 1000 and was impressed by the musicality and the detail. This is one AVR series you should seriously listen to. If you are going to Singapore it should be on your list. I too want to upgrade my Denon 1906 and if I had the budget I would unhesitantly go for the higher Aventage model 2010.

If you want a good music setup.. I would strongly recommend Marantz... 500x or 600x .. that you have to audition and make a call... and Marantz amps avrs are very cheap at Singapore and since you are already plannin a trip there. go for it..

If you want a good music setup.. I would strongly recommend Marantz... 500x or 600x .. that you have to audition and make a call... and Marantz amps avrs are very cheap at Singapore and since you are already plannin a trip there. go for it..

when r u getting ur jbl sub & onkyo 609. do post your reviews abt it :)

Well My JBL s reaching tomoro... Onkyo in may.. I could not carry all of it together...Well lets not carry the JBL-Onkyo discussion long here on this thread...

If you have the budget go for Marantz 6006. its the best value for money. We heard both the Denon 1912 and Marantz 5006 at the recent HT meet in Mumbai and the Marantz came thru with flying colors. The Denon in comparision sounded insipid. I am sure the 6006 will have a similar sound signature to the 5006.
Video scaling should not matter much, as your Tata sky HD box is already doing it to the SD channels thru HDMI out. The TVs upscaler can also do the job.So this should not be your priority while deciding on the AVR. Thats why most manufacturers are doing away with upscalers in their low to mid end models.
Finally please audition the Yamaha Aventage series before deciding. I recently heard Aventage 1000 and was impressed by the musicality and the detail. This is one AVR series you should seriously listen to. If you are going to Singapore it should be on your list. I too want to upgrade my Denon 1906 and if I had the budget I would unhesitantly go for the higher Aventage model 2010.

Thank you for your advice. It seems that in many people's opinion Marantz is better for music.
Since Airplay compatibility is essential for me, it has to be between Denon or Marantz, and I would not be able to consider the Advantage, which I presume does not have Airplay.

Hi yahoo0212, thanks for your advice. Some people have told me that for music, a stereo amp sounds better than a home theatre 7.1 amp. Since you are using a Marantz stereo amp (PM600x), can you give me your opinion on this? Will a Marantz SR6006 sound as good as a PM600x for two channel music?

Hi yahoo0212, thanks for your advice. Some people have told me that for music, a stereo amp sounds better than a home theatre 7.1 amp. Since you are using a Marantz stereo amp (PM600x), can you give me your opinion on this? Will a Marantz SR6006 sound as good as a PM600x for two channel music?

If you are going to play only music dont even think of buying an AVR. A dedicated stereo amp would be better. A high end AVR such as Yamaha 3010 or Marantz 7005 may work if you are going to use it say 60/40 for music/movies.I use a Marantz PM 6002 for music and it beats the Denon 1906 anyday. However careful speaker matching is reqd for amps, you may have to do multiple auditions. The newer Marantz AVRs are quite musical but can never beat a stereo amp for music

If you are going to play only music dont even think of buying an AVR. A dedicated stereo amp would be better. A high end AVR such as Yamaha 3010 or Marantz 7005 may work if you are going to use it say 60/40 for music/movies.I use a Marantz PM 6002 for music and it beats the Denon 1906 anyday. However careful speaker matching is reqd for amps, you may have to do multiple auditions. The newer Marantz AVRs are quite musical but can never beat a stereo amp for music

For PURE Stereo listening... An integrated amp like PM600x leaves any present AVR miles behind.... Although the Integratd amps are rated 40-80 watts /channel and AVR s with 100-120 w/pch there is a huge difference...

In regards to AVR, the demo that is shown in the showrooms is with the subwoofer on...
I am using PM6003 and it can easily drive my Aviano 6 Floorstanders with ample bass and vocal clarity which any AVR cannot even come near by..

So If you need a dedicated stereo setup go for integrated amp and if u want a ht+stereo go for marantz AVR with a nice subwoofer which can be used for both movies and music...

My music source is now the files stored in Apple lossless mode in my Mac Mini being used as an HTPC.
As such, I have to feed the digital music into an amplifier which has a digital input (either optical or HDMI) which then does the digital-to-analog (DAC) conversion and plays the music. Alas, the marantz PM600x does not have a digital input. So, to use the Marantz PM6004 for music, I will have to buy a good CD player too and then go back to playing my CDs.
I am also using my Apple iPad as a very convenient remote controller for the Mac Mini running ITunes using the "Apple Remote" App. I am also implementing Airplay throughout the house on an ethernet DLNA compliant backbone, so basically I will just have to carry my iPad with me and I will be able to play music in any room, or on the terrace, and control everything with my iPad (or from an iPhone or iPod). I don't have to get up to change CDs. I can create playlists of songs from different CDs (or have "Apple Genius" do this for me). And it is all at full quality "lossless" mode. This convenience I am loath to give up.
So, therefore it will have to be a combined HT/Music setup, and I was just wondering if one of the Marantz SR amps would do the trick for me.
Does anyone have any experience with the Marantz SR6006? The Marantz literature says that it has "high grade audio components". Does that mean it comes close to a PM6004 amp for stereo playback?

My music source is now the files stored in Apple lossless mode in my Mac Mini being used as an HTPC.
As such, I have to feed the digital music into an amplifier which has a digital input (either optical or HDMI) which then does the digital-to-analog (DAC) conversion and plays the music. Alas, the marantz PM600x does not have a digital input. So, to use the Marantz PM6004 for music, I will have to buy a good CD player too and then go back to playing my CDs.
I am also using my Apple iPad as a very convenient remote controller for the Mac Mini running ITunes using the "Apple Remote" App. I am also implementing Airplay throughout the house on an ethernet DLNA compliant backbone, so basically I will just have to carry my iPad with me and I will be able to play music in any room, or on the terrace, and control everything with my iPad (or from an iPhone or iPod). I don't have to get up to change CDs. I can create playlists of songs from different CDs (or have "Apple Genius" do this for me). And it is all at full quality "lossless" mode. This convenience I am loath to give up.
So, therefore it will have to be a combined HT/Music setup, and I was just wondering if one of the Marantz SR amps would do the trick for me.
Does anyone have any experience with the Marantz SR6006? The Marantz literature says that it has "high grade audio components". Does that mean it comes close to a PM6004 amp for stereo playback?

your main reqmt is for music so a dedicated stereo amp should be first. I dont know if any integreted amps support airplay yet. But there are a number of amps with digital/usb inputs. try this NAD C356BEE DAC review from the experts at whathifi.com. or this Cambridge Audio Azur 651A review from the experts at whathifi.com
Alternatively try a good stand alone DAC with analogue outs to a good amp.
But with airplay as your priority I feel you may have to stick to the Marantz AVRs. I have also heard that Yamahas newest line is going to have airply. It may be worth checking out.

All,
I had shortlisted 3 receivers - Denon 1912, Marantz 5006 and Marantz 6006.
From suggestions and feedback received in reply to my questions, I have eliminated the Denon 1912. Thanks to all who replied to my queries and also provided me links.
Now, which one should I choose between the two Marantz's ? Is the Marantz SR5006 good enough? Or should I put extra money down on the Marantz SR6006? Any forum member with experience with the 6006?
Thanks in Advance.

All,
I had shortlisted 3 receivers - Denon 1912, Marantz 5006 and Marantz 6006.
From suggestions and feedback received in reply to my questions, I have eliminated the Denon 1912. Thanks to all who replied to my queries and also provided me links.
Now, which one should I choose between the two Marantz's ? Is the Marantz SR5006 good enough? Or should I put extra money down on the Marantz SR6006? Any forum member with experience with the 6006?
Thanks in Advance.

If you can stretch your budget go for 6006. I have heard the 5006 and its good.Check out this review Marantz SR6006 Home theater receiver with 3D-ready HDMI switching and Apple AirPlay? at Crutchfield.com
you can find more reviews for both on Amazon

With all respect to docd, I would not put yamaha and marantz in the high end category (though marantz is closer and I would give it the nod as entry level).

If your main goal is music but you want surround there are true high-end AVRs you can get. Cambridge Audio has a couple of models that excel at music reproduction (2 channel & multi-channel), Anthem is another, NAD, and the best unit is from Arcam. Arcam's are pricey. I have an older Arcam AVR 200 and salivate at the recently released Arcam avr360. Soon to be in my stable once I can get it past the wifey approval. :eek:hyeah:

I've run through and demoed in my home Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, and several other mass market units. They all got returned because they are not even close to my older Arcam when it comes to immersive musical sound and bringing out details and nuances on music and on movie soundtracks (even after a lengthy burn in period). And this is with my old Arcam doing old DTS/dolby and the mass market units doing the new surround formats on movies.

Last edited:

just get an external DAC and connect between your mac mini and stereo amp - if you want a music only setup and not give up on mac mini convenience.

I have an older Arcam AVR 200 and salivate at the recently released Arcam avr360. ..
I've run through and demoed in my home Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, and several other mass market units....

360? I have only heard of the AVR 400
Arcam - AVR400 - AV Receiver

Where did you buy your Arcam from in India?
Have you compared your Arcam to any of the new NADs (748, 757, etc..) and Marantz's (6006, 7005, etc.) ?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back