Denon 2310 setting issue with Subwoofer

Modsy

I am just setting up my new Denon 2310 AVR in my home theatre .

I have used the manual setup for the speaker settings.
Have an issue with output from the Subwoofer . Have done the following settings as per the manual :

Set all the speakers to small .
Bass Settings : LFE + Main
LPF for LFE : 80 HZ
Cross Over frequency of AVR set to 80Hz

Cross over frequency of Subwoofer set to 150Hz

With the above settings i receive no output from the SubWoofer while playing music or movies .
Though when i do test tone for each channel i receive output from the Subwoofer.

Any suggestions on where i could be wrong on the settings?

Thanks

(1) Set Bass to LFE only. Not LFE and Main.
(2) Crossover of the sub should be same as the what you have set in the AVR. At the most 10 to 20 Hz more.
(3) Keep the volume level on the sub at 12 '0' clock position.
(4) In Speaker Setup on your AVR, ensure the relative dB of sub is set to a decent level.

Cheers

(2) Crossover of the sub should be same as the what you have set in the AVR. At the most 10 to 20 Hz more.

Cheers

Not necessarily always.If sub crossover is 150 & AVR 80,then there shld be no issue as Sub will receive all the freq upto 80.
If did otherway with sub freq less & AVR high,then certainly few freq are missed.
Pls.correct me if I m wrong.

Not necessarily always.If sub crossover is 150 & AVR 80,then there shld be no issue as Sub will receive all the freq upto 80.
If did otherway with sub freq less & AVR high,then certainly few freq are missed.

Theoretically what you say is correct. But after fooling around with a lot of AVR and speaker systems, I generally believe in the following method.

1. Check the specification of the front speakers. If it says, say, 60 to 20KHz, set the fronts crossover to somewhere around 70/80Hz.

2. Set the LFE crossover to somewhere 10 to 20 Hz above the front crossover. In this case around 90/100Hz.

This way the sub takes over even before the fronts reach their limit, and there is no strain on the front speakers. In addition keeping the difference to some 20Hz enables a smooth shifting of the signals from the fronts to the sub. This way no frequency is lost and the sub takes over the strain of playing low frequency sounds from the fronts. After all, a sub is better in handling low frequency, is it not?

The difference depends a lot on the quality of the speakers and sub. If the quality of the front speakers are suspect, I would force the sub to take over at a much higher frequency.

Cheers

Thanks for tipps.
I sometimes get no effect with 80hz CO(passive sub),but when touched woofer,its moving.So it may depend on recording too.

My guess is the source - if you are using DVD - see to it the setup is 5.1
If the set up is downmix to stereo or stereo, LFE may not have any signal from your source, also when you play CDs there is no LiFE:D signal. In these case use the line in or speaker level in your sub ( this can be in addition to LFE connections) - in this way when you have 5.1 - LFE will be in picture oher times line in/spk level in will play.
If you have mini/high end system, then check if you can direct low frequency to LFE, or could be you might have disabled the .1 part ( sony mini systems alow that as thier main speakers can handle).
hope this helps

Last edited:
On the 2310, when you set all speakers to "small", the "LFE" vs "LFE + Main" setting doesn't do anything.

This is true for all AVRs. When you set the main speakers to small, you are instructing the AVR NOT to send any LF signals to them.

Cheers

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back