Denon 3806 firmware upgrade

sauravg

Greetings,

I have Denon's AVR 3806, purchased in Dec 2006 from ProFX in Hyderabad. It seems that some releases/shipments of 3806 cannot handle 7.1 PCM audio over HDMI and mine is one of them. This issue was discussed extensively at avsforum where some folks mentioned applying a firmware patch (then available on Denon's EU site) themselves through the serial port (RS-232) that 3806 has in the back. See the post by "Dutchman01":

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=9783484#post9783484

The RapidShare link to the firmware is still active!

I want to apply this fimware, but it feels a bit risky to download and apply a patch from RapidShare when Denon's EU site no longer mentions it. Also, I'm not sure if it works for all AVRs or just those that were sold in Europe. I think mine came from UK but still, I'm not sure.

I'm willing to take the risk, but there ought to be some fall-back options. That's where you experts come in :)

1. Does anyone have any experience doing this? How did it work out for you?

2. Instead of doing it myself, can I take it to a Denon service center in Hyderabad and get it done, even by paying a fee (and thus abdicate the onus of safety)? Does Denon even have a service center in Hyderabad? I once attempted talking to ProFX about it which didn't come to much, after I had to explain what a firmware is, etc.

3. If I end up "bricking" my AVR doing this, can anyone in Hyderabad/Secunderabad fix it? And also apply this firmware safely or just upgrade it somehow, while they are at it...

Regards,
Saurav.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back