Denon AVR 1611 - 5.1 and 7.1 Multizone

crewcut

Last month I asked a friend to bring me a Denon AVR 1910 from Singapore, where, as you all know, prices are much lower than here. He called me up and said that they had only the 1911. At that point I was not aware that the 2011 series was available.

So I ran to Google and was checking the specs and realised that the 1611 was now 7.1 with multi-zone. The multizone feature was the only reason I wanted the 1910 and now I had a chance to buy the more affordable 1611.

Of course when it reached I was quite baffled when it said 5.1 on the front panel sticker and had only 5 speaker connections at the back.

Again I ran back to Google and much to my chagrin, realised that the US/Canada spec for the 1611 was 7.1/multizone while the EU/UK/ Asia spec for the same 1611 was 5.1 single-zone.

To make a long story short, I sold the 5.1 and then got the 7.1 from the US though the 110V is a bit of a bother.

So here's a word of caution on the 1611 specs. Make sure you're buying what you really want.

Thanks for sharing, i didnt had a complete idea about what is multizone. Here is the definition of Multizone

Multi-source/Multi-Zone
Simply put, this feature allows a user to watch/listen to one source in the main room where the AVR resides, while others listen to a separate source in another room, all from the same AVR. As mentioned above, 7.1-channel AVRs are now the norm, and many allow users to either use extended surround, or to setup a 5.1-channel system in the main room and use the additional two channels to feed a second room/zone. Some AVRs allow only audio to the second zone, while others allow audio and video.

HT's Bottom Line: Multi-source/Multi-zone is a real asset. If this interests you, make sure you find an AVR that does what you want it to in the second zone.

Source : Home Theater: HT Guide To AVR Features

Hi

Denon AVR 1611 is a 7.1 channel AV receiver , in the sense it has got onboard 7.1 ch HD decoder which can even process the new Dolby PLIIz height,but the number of amplifier channels are limited to 5 ( 75 W x5) .But It has PRE out for the surround back/Front height (can be assigned in the setup) so if a user want to do a 7.1 HT with AVR 1611 he should take the pre out an connect to an external 2 ch amp. ( This feature was available in AVR 1610 as well but most of the reviewers omitted this )

Cheers

Hi

Denon AVR 1611 is a 7.1 channel AV receiver , in the sense it has got onboard 7.1 ch HD decoder which can even process the new Dolby PLIIz height,but the number of amplifier channels are limited to 5 ( 75 W x5) .But It has PRE out for the surround back/Front height (can be assigned in the setup)...

True but the US spec of the 1611 give powered outs for the back surround and this can be assigned to a second zone. The Asia/EU spec has only pre-outs. There must be uses for these but if you had a room big enough for high surrounds, I'm sure you could buy a receiver big enough to have powered outs.

The pre-outs cannot be assigned to another zone in the 1611.

Purchased 1611

Hi,

My search ended (for now)! :) I have ordered a Denon 1611, would be getting it coming Saturday. It will be connected to my old and basic Philips DVD player. I am also getting a pair of Wharfedale 9.1 bookshelf speakers to go with my Denon (for stereo listening). Since I am more on music than movies, and budget was also a factor to consider, I decided to go in parts. AVR and front speakers now. Will go for a sub, next. Finally will get a centre + surrounds. And instead of buying dipole surrounds, I might as well get a pair of FS (9.5?) and move my 9.1 to surround - but all this could happen much later; right now am eager to get my stuff at home and connected so that I start listening to my music :yahoo:

Price:
Denon 1611 (silver color) - 28.5K
Wharfdale 9.1 (walnut color) - 12K (pair)

Thanks.

Yes. The reason is very simple: My wife and myself liked the sound of 9.1 better (to our ears) than of 10.1. Price wise they are quite comparable so that was never a factor. The 10.1 have more bass and it appeared that they won't play to our taste back in our room. This is just our opinion, experts might say that 10.1 are better than 9.1.

Also, we have a tentative plan of buying FS (9.5, maybe) down the line and use the 9.1 as surrounds then; only if we feel 9.5 sound better to our ears and if we feel 9.1 lack "something" after months of listening that we will do.

I hope this answers to some extent!

hi all, just a week before i have purchased denon 1610 and got speakers from craftel chennai, totally 40,000 it came but worth to spend , now the room is looking like a theater and that watching movie in sun direct HD is superb. if you need any more details just msg me

hi all, just a week before i have purchased denon 1610 and got speakers from craftel chennai, totally 40,000 it came but worth to spend , now the room is looking like a theater and that watching movie in sun direct HD is superb. if you need any more details just msg me

Congrats! Do post some pics! If you wish to, send me PM for your pics/album. By the way, which speakers? Stereo or full 5.1 set? (I just managed a stereo speaker pair and an AVR in 40K) :sad:

PS: sun direct HD would have been superb even without the denon since its HD and goes directly to your display! Did you mean the sound of sun through your avr/speakers in 5.1?

Thanks for sharing, i didnt had a complete idea about what is multizone. Here is the definition of Multizone

Multi-source/Multi-Zone
Simply put, this feature allows a user to watch/listen to one source in the main room where the AVR resides, while others listen to a separate source in another room, all from the same AVR. As mentioned above, 7.1-channel AVRs are now the norm, and many allow users to either use extended surround, or to setup a 5.1-channel system in the main room and use the additional two channels to feed a second room/zone. Some AVRs allow only audio to the second zone, while others allow audio and video.

HT's Bottom Line: Multi-source/Multi-zone is a real asset. If this interests you, make sure you find an AVR that does what you want it to in the second zone.

Now like in everything HT they dont talk about the cons.

Its very difficult to install multizone properly.
Also the power channels are much lower for the 2nd zone
You cannot listen along both zones at the same time - though soem newer models allow for this.
Remote control for 2nd zone is quite expensize and also need to be controlled differently than the main zone, In Logitech terms, this has to be controlled as a "device" rather than an "activity" as it might unexpectedly swtich on/off the AVR.

A better option in my view is a wireless music streamer.

Bottom line: Beware what you might need to plan to get multizone to properly work.

Whew, that sounds scary. Let me set up and report back. It may take a few months for me to complete all the speakers though.

Last month I asked a friend to bring me a Denon AVR 1910 from Singapore, where, as you all know, prices are much lower than here. He called me up and said that they had only the 1911. At that point I was not aware that the 2011 series was available.

So I ran to Google and was checking the specs and realised that the 1611 was now 7.1 with multi-zone. The multizone feature was the only reason I wanted the 1910 and now I had a chance to buy the more affordable 1611.

Of course when it reached I was quite baffled when it said 5.1 on the front panel sticker and had only 5 speaker connections at the back.

Again I ran back to Google and much to my chagrin, realised that the US/Canada spec for the 1611 was 7.1/multizone while the EU/UK/ Asia spec for the same 1611 was 5.1 single-zone.

To make a long story short, I sold the 5.1 and then got the 7.1 from the US though the 110V is a bit of a bother.

So here's a word of caution on the 1611 specs. Make sure you're buying what you really want.

Hi,

Can someone throw some light on what is the D/A and A/D statistics for Denon AVR1611 (Bought in India, not shipped from US)? I thought I read somwhere that the AVR supports 96kHz/24bit and I am now confused if it supports 192/24 or not. Also, see the information below -

Digital Circuit
D/A converter 24-bit / 192-kHz

A/D converter 24-bit / 96-kHz

Digital Interface Receiver (DIR) 24-bit / 192-kHz

Link for above is here

Question: Why will it have an A/D if it doesn't have 5.1 analog inputs in the first place?

Hi,

Can someone throw some light on what is the D/A and A/D statistics for Denon AVR1611 (Bought in India, not shipped from US)? I thought I read somwhere that the AVR supports 96kHz/24bit and I am now confused if it supports 192/24 or not. Also, see the information below -

Digital Circuit
D/A converter 24-bit / 192-kHz

A/D converter 24-bit / 96-kHz

Digital Interface Receiver (DIR) 24-bit / 192-kHz

Link for above is here

Question: Why will it have an A/D if it doesn't have 5.1 analog inputs in the first place?

Gurus,

Any infomation on the above that you would be able to share?

5.1 analogue in is not the only analogue inputs. There are other analogue ports such as Microphone and tuner that are both analogue. You could connect a mike, for example, and the connect the AVR to the TV through HDMI. You would expect to hear your voice on the TV then, wouldn't you?

Cheers

5.1 analogue in is not the only analogue inputs. There are other analogue ports such as Microphone and tuner that are both analogue. You could connect a mike, for example, and the connect the AVR to the TV through HDMI. You would expect to hear your voice on the TV then, wouldn't you?

Cheers

Thanks for showing me something that I had known already, just didn't surface by itself :eek:

Hi,
I have decided to buy Denon 1611 with Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 speaker system for Rs.44000 in Bangalore.
Any suggestions/comments on this please...

Hi,
I have decided to buy Denon 1611 with Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 speaker system for Rs.44000 in Bangalore.
Any suggestions/comments on this please...

Looks to be a good price. I was also thinking of same config but 52K was last price which was fine with me but I told to include wall mounting also in the same price. It didn't went through. Which shop ur buying from?

Re: Purchased 1611

Hi,

My search ended (for now)! :) I have ordered a Denon 1611, would be getting it coming Saturday. It will be connected to my old and basic Philips DVD player. I am also getting a pair of Wharfedale 9.1 bookshelf speakers to go with my Denon (for stereo listening). Since I am more on music than movies, and budget was also a factor to consider, I decided to go in parts. AVR and front speakers now. Will go for a sub, next. Finally will get a centre + surrounds. And instead of buying dipole surrounds, I might as well get a pair of FS (9.5?) and move my 9.1 to surround - but all this could happen much later; right now am eager to get my stuff at home and connected so that I start listening to my music :yahoo:

Price:
Denon 1611 (silver color) - 28.5K
Wharfdale 9.1 (walnut color) - 12K (pair)

Thanks.

Swami, my plans are similar. Would be using it with PSB speakers in stereo at first and looking to move perhaps to surround later. What has been your experience with the 1611 as a stereo?
Also, what is the size of your room?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back