Denon AVR 1910 vs Yamaha RX-V765 vs Onkyo TX-SR607

ManishW

Hi,

I am looking for an A/V receiver and have narrowed down to the following three (not necessarily in the same order though I am more inclined towards the first two options)

Denon AVR 1910 - US$ 550
Yamaha RX-V765 - US$ 599
Onkyo TX-SR607 - US$ 500

Plan to set it up with Jamo A10 5.1 Speakers which I am getting for around 29k. If you can suggest some other 5.1 speakers (satellites only) in this range it'll be great. I will be buying the speakers in Delhi.

I am going to use this setup ONLY for movies.

I would like to hear your views/opinions on this and if given an option to buy which one you will go for. Those using any of the above components please let me know your experience.

Thanks for your time.

Manish

Denon 1910 would be my pick. The new yamaha series is not that good.

Other speaker packages would be Energy Take, Mirage Nano, Wharfedale Moviestar or Mirage MX.

Raghav

Hi,

I am looking for an A/V receiver and have narrowed down to the following three (not necessarily in the same order though I am more inclined towards the first two options)

Denon AVR 1910 - US$ 550
Yamaha RX-V765 - US$ 599
Onkyo TX-SR607 - US$ 500

Plan to set it up with Jamo A10 5.1 Speakers which I am getting for around 29k. If you can suggest some other 5.1 speakers (satellites only) in this range it'll be great. I will be buying the speakers in Delhi.

I am going to use this setup ONLY for movies.

I would like to hear your views/opinions on this and if given an option to buy which one you will go for. Those using any of the above components please let me know your experience.

Thanks for your time.

Manish

Given the speakers you have opted for, you may consider downgrading the AVR (1610/665 or 565) and may be add the money saved to the speaker budget. Speakers are the ones you are going to have for a long time, hence spend max possible on them. Why not start with a next-level 2.1/3.1 set of speakers from Wharfedale/Q-A/PSB etc. for now and complete the 5.1 setup later?

Given the speakers you have opted for, you may consider downgrading the AVR (1610/665 or 565) and may be add the money saved to the speaker budget. Speakers are the ones you are going to have for a long time, hence spend max possible on them. Why not start with a next-level 2.1/3.1 set of speakers from Wharfedale/Q-A/PSB etc. for now and complete the 5.1 setup later?
+ 1 to that.
Spend more on speakers and better still, just get 2 good fronts (floors/bookshelves) and a centre now. Add sub/surrounds later.

Why did you not consider the 1610? Any particular feature of 1910 that you feel is a must have?

Thanks for your replies. I prefer the Denon myself but I guess I wanted somebody to reassure me;)

There is a $50 difference between the 1910 and 1610 so I thought it was worth the Rs. 2500 extra.

As for the Jamo A10, I thought they sounded quite good when I auditioned them in Delhi. The were connected to a Sherwood (dont know which model). I still haven't bought them so I am open to suggestions. My budget for the speakers was 30k but I can stretch it to 35-40k if the difference in sound is worth the extra moolah. My only problem is that I cannot put anything on the floor (wifey says, small room so nothing on the floor and nothing big on the wall either). So that rules out floor standing and book shelves. This is one thing I cannot change!! The A10's are 4 inches in size and come in white so they are almost invisible. Can you guys suggest a better alternative keeping my limitations in mind.

Thanks!

Manish

There is a $50 difference between the 1910 and 1610 so I thought it was worth the Rs. 2500 extra.

...So that rules out floor standing and book shelves.

At that price difference, it's a no brainer, get the 1910.

Energy and Q-A 5.1 sets have 4 small (relatively) satellites + center + sub. Audition them before taking the final call. They cost 30 to 45k. The satellites could be easily mounted on the wall.

Take a look at Mirage satellites. They are very small and add to the looks in the room. Plus I feel thy perform quite well. Mirage and Energy should be available at same place.

Q Acoustics though good is bigger in size and plain looks.

Raghav

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back