Denon DP-29F - ProFx (Chennai) Experience

Muthusami S

Yesterday me and my friend visited ProFX Chennai to audition the Denon DP-29F turntable. The showroom manager was not sure about the stock but I told him that I called up the showroom and got an appointment. The sales guys informed him that one piece is available. They made the turntable ready for demo. One guy asked me whether I have any vinyl for audition. They don't have proper vinyls for demo. As far as I remember they have only two vinyls. They played the turntable with Denon amplifier and Polk Audio speakers. The tracks (from a Telugu movie) sound awful and I thought the Denon and Polk Audio perform only to this extent. In a dilemma, I asked the sales guy to play some CDs with the same amp. and speakers. A demo track from Pure Acoustic CD was played and the sound was just great (They have good numbers of demo CDs). I didn't remember the model of the amplifier but its power output is 140W RMS each at 4 ohms (Cost 60K+). The PolkAudio speakers are also 4 ohm speakers.

So finally we were not able to arrive at the sound quality of DP-29F. We started from our office (MEPZ, Tambaram) with excitement to buy the DP-29F but because of the non availability of good vinyls, we came out of the showroom disappointed. Only good thing is that they have the spares for this turntable.

I would suggest forum members that if you want to buy Denon turntables from ProFX, better carry your favorite vinyls or borrow some before you go for audition.

Yesterday me and my friend visited ProFX Chennai to audition the Denon DP-29F turntable. The showroom manager was not sure about the stock but I told him that I called up the showroom and got an appointment. The sales guys informed him that one piece is available. They made the turntable ready for demo. One guy asked me whether I have any vinyl for audition. They don't have proper vinyls for demo. As far as I remember they have only two vinyls. They played the turntable with Denon amplifier and Polk Audio speakers. The tracks (from a Telugu movie) sound awful and I thought the Denon and Polk Audio perform only to this extent. In a dilemma, I asked the sales guy to play some CDs with the same amp. and speakers. A demo track from Pure Acoustic CD was played and the sound was just great (They have good numbers of demo CDs). I didn't remember the model of the amplifier but its power output is 140W RMS each at 4 ohms (Cost 60K+). The PolkAudio speakers are also 4 ohm speakers.

So finally we were not able to arrive at the sound quality of DP-29F. We started from our office (MEPZ, Tambaram) with excitement to buy the DP-29F but because of the non availability of good vinyls, we came out of the showroom disappointed. Only good thing is that they have the spares for this turntable.

I would suggest forum members that if you want to buy Denon turntables from ProFX, better carry your favorite vinyls or borrow some before you go for audition.

Friend,
I had a somewhat similar experience with ProFx last year when I visited there to buy a Denon DP 29 F turntable.They had no stock of this particular model and instead suggested an advanced model of Denon TT.They do not even have a demo piece for an audition.With mounting frustration I left the place.
sincerely,
pksnathan

Well, I had the same experience with Pro-Fx bangalore as well.
I had called Pro-Fx to check if they have DP-29F in stock and the guy who picked up the call (forgot to ask his name or else would have given a compliant) told me they will be getting it in a few days from the date i called. I gave them a visit a week later and found that they only have a demo peice and that their stock has not arrived. I just left the place without asking any further questions.

ProFX is probably the worst showroom in India.

Whenever you visit them for audition they treat you as though u wanna borrow a million bucks from them for free.They always say no stock on what ever you ask and also they partner equipments to the opposite of synergy.

Once i auditioned a KEF reference floor stander there and it sounded awful because of the matching components.

Last edited:
I had the same experience with denons and polk, the sound was terrible. I tried doing the settings myself, even then.... something about the denon polk combination which is totally saturated sound, lack of clarity.

Whenever you visit them for audition they treat you as though u wanna borrow a million bucks from them for free.They always say no stock on what ever you ask and also they partner equipments to the opposite of synergy.

Once i auditioned a KEF reference floor stander there and it sounded awful because of the matching components.

Yes , their sense of matching is too good, excellent , awesome........... they have very good speaker JM Lab , but dont have a matching amplifier to show the original quality . In coimbatore , i heard the electra with a Denon amp, only newbies will buy that combination. Just like all the Bose showroom have Yamaha amplifier ( another great combination ) , the profx guys can have a tie up with some other amplifier company too.

rajapraveen - I understand what you mean but nobody epitomizes that attitude better than the Audio People. They actually look down their nose at customers until they are convinced that they are going to give them more than at least a lakh in purchases.

soundofmusic - yes, they do like playing their Focal Electra with a Denon Receiver. And they believe Pure Direct mode makes it an integrated amp.

nobody epitomizes that attitude better than the Audio People. They actually look down their nose at customers until they are convinced that they are going to give them more than at least a lakh in purchases.

Very true!

rajapraveen - I understand what you mean but nobody epitomizes that attitude better than the Audio People. They actually look down their nose at customers until they are convinced that they are going to give them more than at least a lakh in purchases.

That's true for almost all HiFi dealers around (the exceptions are already here in the forum ;))

You ask about an amp or something in their showroom and their first reaction would be that's for xyz rupees!!!

Shallow though it might sound, one trick is to walk into their shop dressed like a million bucks...maybe then they'll pay some attention...

I understand that soulforged. But I guess you will understand what I mean only when you interact with the people in the shop I mentioned.

I understand that soulforged. But I guess you will understand what I mean only when you interact with the people in the shop I mentioned.

That bad eh??? The only experience I had with Audio People was at the AV Max show in Blr a couple of years ago...I presumed that their attitude was due to the crowd that wanted to touch and feel but had no idea what it is!!!

BTW, their pathos 5-channel amp was a big hit at the show...for obvious reasons...

Well said. Same thing happened to me. Even though I got an appointment, the showroom incharge gave a blank look thinking as if I am an intruder or a person asking donations. On the positive side, the sales guys cooperated well and gave a demo with a brand new piece. But the sound quality is very bad either because of the poor vinyls or the limitations of the turntable.

ProFX is probably the worst showroom in India. QUOTE]

I would agree with you a 100% I just made a call to ProFx, Chennai to find a Denon 3311ic as it is Rs.54000 which I saw in the internet and ProFx quoted Rs.89950/- OOOOHHHHH. Day light robbery... ProFx could have stroke my spine off if I had not checked the internet for prices.

I can buy 500 bottles of beer for that extra cash they could sqeeze out of me.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back