Denon / Marantz AVR

anshumanm

Dear All,

This is my first post and I am a total amateur in the HT world. Need advice from all Gurus of these forum.

Mt drawing room is 12 * 10 ft with wooden flooring and the distance from my system to the sitting area will be approx 9 ft. The system needs will be connected to LCD TV and also be good for listening (ghazals / soft rock). In amateur words having that sound effect while watching Transformers movie as well as listen to Bryan adams or Jagjit singh. I have read the past post and understood that I should go for 5.1 system with an avr sub. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I also understood Marant / Denons are Kings in amps. Please advice on a model which will suffice my requirements.

Speakers - After reading all the review I liked ETC 5.1 but is it a big jump for a novice like me ?

I also want to buy a turntable few months down the line.

I am not going to buy these at the same time because of budget constraints but will buy in installments. Have a budget of around 40 - 50K.

I am based out of mumbai so if you could help me with the shops and approx pricing it will help me a lot to begin.

Sorry for making this post a long one but tried to include all details so that it helps in your suggestions.

Try and give your preference for movies v/s music. Some AVRs are better for music and some for movies in the budget provided. Also what are your future plans for the system. Are you planning to invest more in this 1 year in the future or you'd rather have this system for a longer duration and want to set up everything right away.

For around 50K you'd get an AVR and discrete 5.1 set up. ETCs have very good reviews but you will get it for around 35K in Mumbai I guess which leaves just 15K for AVR.

Give Pioneers a chance ... for AVRs. I ain't regretting! Pretty good for both music as well as movies.

Keep a budget of 15-20K for AVR max. Rest for 5.1 'satellite' speakers.

Dear kneo & avidyarthy,

Thanks for the input, what i was planning was may be go for Marantz nr 1402 or Denon 1612 now as my avr. What is your feedback on this ?
Can you please suggest me which 5.1 will go with these AVR and if these 5.1 will have sub with them ?

Few months down the line i was planning to go for turn table- Just wanted to check- I found a good collection of my Dads LP's just wanted to check if they can be brushed up / cleaned or something of that sort to get them back shape. They are in good condition hardly any scratches.

Marantz is a more musical AVR and would suit your choice of music. Some feel that it lacks the 'punch' thats needed for delivering movie scenes but I don't think so...

Since you are planning to buy a Turntable and (I assume) would use the AVR to amplify, you might wanna make sure that the AVR has a phonostage built-in. I think Marantz 6006 has it but not sure of the models you have mentioned.

Also for the speakers, do check out a few more options. I suggest go out and hear them instead of relying on just the reviews...

Like Avid says, Pioneers have musical amps too...I really liked the sound of 1021...

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back