Denon/ Marantz: Two screens, almost symmetrical listening position. Intriguing setup. 90 degrees apart.

imagineer

Yup, headline is catchy.
Here is more info, and request for suggestions:
Information:
Two screens, 90 degrees apart.
Floor or height speakers of same timber /tone/ brand. All floor speakers equal, all height speakers equal.
Floor / bed speakers are: four FS+ one center, another center as spare/ switchable.
Question to Denon / Marantz owner:
Can you swap speaker positions from within configuration
Ie: FR becomes LF, RR becomes, FR and so on.
Note:
I understand, there are just two presets available on latest or older Denon / Marantz. I also, understand, if need be... I'll have to make (hopefully not ... Speaker switches)..
And, I can work out web UI automated configuration. The part that, I can't workout / not aware is this:
Do sound United products allow physically connected devices to change their attributes (positions) via configuration?
Thanks in advance!
- I

Yup, headline is catchy.
Information:
Floor or height speakers of same timber /tone/ brand. All floor speakers equal, all height speakers equal.
Floor / bed speakers are: four FS+ one center, another center as spare/ switchable.
Note:
I understand, there are just two presets available on latest or older Denon / Marantz. I also, understand, if need be... I'll have to make (hopefully not ... Speaker switches)..
And, I can work out web UI automated configuration. The part that, I can't workout / not aware is this:
Do sound United products allow physically connected devices to change their attributes (positions) via configuration?
Thanks in advance!
- I
Request to moderators, please move this thread to right location. I searched for subthreads to match.

Audyssey may not allow to swap speaker positions for a single calibration. Try using the same set up as different zones or save 2 different calibrations and switch the calibration file while using a particular setup if at all that works. But when speakers are connected to particular terminals behind the amp they may recognise them as they are meant to be. Try getting the Audyssey phone app.

Last edited:
Damn interesting question!

Need a couple of more pieces in this jigsaw:
1. What's your config?
2. Can we play around with a rear centre, too?
3. will it HAVE to be 90 degrees only? Or can the TV and PJ be in opposing walls?

My noob solution:
Considering you have already mentioned all floor speakers are equal, and all heights are equal:
1. Can you not do it within preset 1 and preset 2?
2. Turn the couch 180 for each?
3. A symmetrical set up could yield a solution.

Very interested in this...
Even if my inputs were dumb, please keep us posted us here...
It's a promising set up, bro.

PS:
A schematic will help other experienced FMs a lot.
My gut feeling is that there could be a solution for this.

Yup, headline is catchy.
Information:
Note:
Thanks in advance!
- I
Without a picture of the place and plan its bit difficult to comprehend and suggest ;
Please attach a drawing if possible including the wall and ceiling measurements.

If TV and Projector need to be accommodated in a single HT room with Same Set of Audio components, that can be easily done (not 90deg apart though).
Wall mount the TV and Put a motorized projector screen in the front, when watching Projector keep the screen rolled down and when watching the TV, projector screen rolled up.

High end AVR (Marantz /Denon) have options for saving 2 Audessey calibration presets and switching them at the flick of button. My Marantz SR 8015 has this option.
You can use this option by Calibrating twice (for 2 screens 90deg Apart) with 2 different (different configuration/speaker orientation) setups. As long as you have identical speakers it shouldn't be a big problem as far SQ difference is concerned. Buying a Flagship AVR is better than buying 2 midrange AVRs.

Hopefully I've answered your question.

Damn interesting question!

Need a couple of more pieces in this jigsaw:
1. What's your config?
2. Can we play around with a rear centre, too?
3. will it HAVE to be 90 degrees only? Or can the TV and PJ be in opposing walls?
Not opposing walls. TV vs projector are in L.
My noob solution:
Considering you have already mentioned all floor speakers are equal, and all heights are equal:
1. Can you not do it within preset 1 and preset 2?
Presets can be used for speaker configs, amp assignment and EQ etc.
Even then, just two presets are not enough, hence have to automate.
BTW, preset 1 will be used for Auro 10.1, Preset 2 for Atmos 5.1.4.

2. Turn the couch 180 for each?
3. A symmetrical set up could yield a solution.
Two couches / viewing positions, again in L.

Very interested in this...
Even if my inputs were dumb, please keep us posted us here...
It's a promising set up, bro.

PS:
A schematic will help other experienced FMs a lot.
My gut feeling is that there could be a solution for this.
These are the things I've found till now:
Denons allow speaker A/B for fronts LRs meaning, you can have two software switchable speaker sets, only one being active. But, that takes away two channels.
No position swapping possible.

Speaker selectors (one in two out) can be used technically with caveats and pitfalls .
Each channel will need own selector, number of wires double and a mistake in toggeling(forgetting to toggle one selector) will send the current in loop to the amp and result in holy smoke. So, a no!

Rotary selector switches per channel can be used avoiding all this.
Example switch:
"Miscellaneous Rotary Switches" https://www.surplussales.com/SWITCHES/SWROMISC-2.HTML
Haven't been able to completely study this yet, will have to research more and go for custom passive circuit / add protection to avoid loops. This will be completely manual, as in physically change the mode.

Will also look into possibility of using Arduino /RPI and relays. At least that way, this can be automated.

Without a picture of the place and plan its bit difficult to comprehend and suggest ;
Please attach a drawing if possible including the wall and ceiling measurements.

If TV and Projector need to be accommodated in a single HT room with Same Set of Audio components, that can be easily done (not 90deg apart though).
Wall mount the TV and Put a motorized projector screen in the front, when watching Projector keep the screen rolled down and when watching the TV, projector screen rolled up.

High end AVR (Marantz /Denon) have options for saving 2 Audessey calibration presets and switching them at the flick of button. My Marantz SR 8015 has this option.
You can use this option by Calibrating twice (for 2 screens 90deg Apart) with 2 different (different configuration/speaker orientation) setups. As long as you have identical speakers it shouldn't be a big problem as far SQ difference is concerned. Buying a Flagship AVR is better than buying 2 midrange AVRs.

Hopefully I've answered your question.
Thank you, have responded / added more information here:

Screen and TV on same wall is not an option as TV is set on adjacent wall for these reasons:
TV can rotate and revolve allowing me to watch from exactly 180 degrees from behind the half wall or anything in between.

Will add the drawings later today.

Not opposing walls. TV vs projector are in L.

Presets can be used for speaker configs, amp assignment and EQ etc.
Even then, just two presets are not enough, hence have to automate.
BTW, preset 1 will be used for Auro 10.1, Preset 2 for Atmos 5.1.4.

Two couches / viewing positions, again in L.

These are the things I've found till now:
Denons allow speaker A/B for fronts LRs meaning, you can have two software switchable speaker sets, only one being active. But, that takes away two channels.
No position swapping possible.

Speaker selectors (one in two out) can be used technically with caveats and pitfalls .
Each channel will need own selector, number of wires double and a mistake in toggeling(forgetting to toggle one selector) will send the current in loop to the amp and result in holy smoke. So, a no!

Rotary selector switches per channel can be used avoiding all this.
Example switch:
"Miscellaneous Rotary Switches" https://www.surplussales.com/SWITCHES/SWROMISC-2.HTML
Haven't been able to completely study this yet, will have to research more and go for custom passive circuit / add protection to avoid loops. This will be completely manual, as in physically change the mode.

Will also look into possibility of using Arduino /RPI and relays. At least that way, this can be automated.
Damn, that's beyond me!
Will read up.
I still think there could be an elegant solution for the 90-degree issue too...

Will watch this thread, am sure a solution will present itself.

Thanks so much bro, it's one of those problems worth finding a solution for!

Doing manually at AVR end(using banana plugs) can be safe way. Asus Xonar soundcards allow channel swapping. If it was just DD/DTS, then xonar out can be fed to 7.1 analog input of Marantz AVR will do the job without need of removing speaker connection. In case planning separate speaker setup and not swapping ,then simply add a 5.1 power amp to AVR with preout. New Denon/Marantz avr has preamp mode .So with one setup with Poweramp off, AVR will drive speakers. When using Poweramp with another speaker set ,just turn on Preamp mode which shuts off internal amp of AVR.

Doing manually at AVR end(using banana plugs) can be safe way. Asus Xonar soundcards allow channel swapping. If it was just DD/DTS, then xonar out can be fed to 7.1 analog input of Marantz AVR will do the job without need of removing speaker connection. In case planning separate speaker setup and not swapping ,then simply add a 5.1 power amp to AVR with preout. New Denon/Marantz avr has preamp mode .So with one setup with Poweramp off, AVR will drive speakers. When using Poweramp with another speaker set ,just turn on Preamp mode which shuts off internal amp of AVR.
Thank you. Planning to use same speakers.
Banana plugs and AVR end is the first thing that came to mind and is a sure shot working low tech solution. Will still look for other solutions in which at a flick of switch / trigger, setup is virtually rotated.

Thank you. Planning to use same speakers.
Banana plugs and AVR end is the first thing that came to mind and is a sure shot working low tech solution. Will still look for other solutions in which at a flick of switch / trigger, setup is virtually rotated.
What's your current optimal solution?
Asking to learn for myself, but also so others can improve on that solution, if they may...
Regards

What's your current optimal solution?
Asking to learn for myself, but also so others can improve on that solution, if they may...
Regards
Don't have a solution now, hence requesting information and suggestions ;) . Just swapping manually seems to be the safest but cumbersome option for now.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back