Composite Monitor x 1
Composite (DVR) x 1
Analog Audio REC x 2
Audio Preout (Zone2 / 7.1ch) x 2
Digital Optical x 1
Phones x 1

better to chk out yourself with profx

i thnk sidvee has this model , he cud confirm

Guys - I unfortunately have the CI model - which I bought in the US, so no pre outs xcept for the sub. I guess for the mark up we pay here we get something in return:clapping:
Fortunately I do not plan on adding any xternal amps so I am ok, but periyar - please double check - even better if possible have an external amp hooked up at audition.
Cheers
Sid

Guys - I unfortunately have the CI model - which I bought in the US, so no pre outs xcept for the sub. I guess for the mark up we pay here we get something in return:clapping:
Fortunately I do not plan on adding any xternal amps so I am ok, but periyar - please double check - even better if possible have an external amp hooked up at audition.
Cheers
Sid

Surely I will.

I have already told the ProFX to arrange Denon 2310 with Amp setup for audition when the Focals are ready.

BTW any input/suggestion on the Amps I should look for? Any direction would be appreciated since I don't have any idea about it except the first audition (Operretta) at ARN?

I have already informed Palani at Audio Planet to have AVR + Amp (not sure about the models) setup and even at ARN Denon 1910/Marantz AVR + amp setup confirmed for this weekend audition :)

I (along with a friend) visited Audio Planet this Sunday as planned and met with Mr Palani. I found him very helpful and fully informative as others mentioned earlier. He started with the basics of sound, systems with enough details & examples and explained till what 5.1 channel setup is. He listened to all our questions and answered/explained it patiently.

First he inquired about my requirements and explained things for more than a hour before he plays any of his equipments. Surprisingly, I found a couple of other brands speakers - Wharfedale 10.7, Usher BE718 and a B&W Center etc.,

I spent almost 4 hours at his place which was more than I planned. We compared the speaker quality variations and its signatures. Our comparison / audition happened with Mordaunt-Short Aviano 8, Mezzo 6 & Mezzo 8 and along with Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 !!! (Yes. Mr Palani keeps B & W, Wharfedale and Usher tiny dancer - BE718 mainly to compare with his Mordaunt-Short speakers). It gives the chance to compare his speakers in one place instead of visiting multiple showrooms to compare the sound signatures of different brands/models. I feel that this surely provides a ground to prove his speakers are superior than others. But at the same time, some might have apprehension about how does he drive the other brand speakers though he allowed us to switch speaker pairs simultaneously. Moreover, he might have selected inferior model from other brand. But after visiting Vector Systems today (I will write another post about that experience), I felt it was genuine and Mr Palani selected other brand(wharfedale) speaker with equivalent specification (Both uses two 6.5" bass drivers, one mid range, one tweeter and can handle max 200W) of Aviano.

He used Cambridge Audio CD player and Cambridge Integrated Stereo Amp (forgot the model numbers of both but he mentioned that its mid-range/level amplifier). We started with Aviano 8 and side by side comparing it with Wharfedale 10.7 as the 'Taal' movie song - 'Ramta Jogi' played. Vocals came out better in Aviano 8 and little bit clearer than Wharf 10.7. Wharf was high on bass side and giving more punch but lacks in mid-range compartively. Mr Palani explained the technical details behind this issue. He pointed out the mid-range driver used in the Wharf 10.7 which is comparitively smaller than the bass drives used and it makes that less capable of handling the mid range frequencies smoothly. I couldn't completely explain those points details as I couldn't remember all of them.

Then after, we compared the Aviano 8 with Mezzo 6. He purposely switched the speaker connections but I was not told till I gave my feedback about the signatures. Mezzo 6 sounded little more clearer than Aviano 8 which comparatively throws more bass. Obviously Aviano has got two bass drivers against the one bass driver at Mezzo 6. The differences were marginal not big apart from the little clarity in the mid range separation with Mezzo 6.

Then we compared the Aviano 8 with Mezzo 8 and I felt that it would be the proper comparision since both got the same number of drivers. There was a very good difference we felt with Mezzo and the signature was more clear than Aviano 8. But the price difference between Mezzo and Aviano series is almost double.

Finally I inquired about the drivers used in these speakers and confirmed that Aviano 8, Mezzo 6 and Mezzo 8 uses the same drivers except the tweeters. I've been told that Mezzo series uses the scale down version tweeter of its Performance series. Mr Palani mentioned that it playes the major role in giving more clarity in the uppper frequencies. Apart from that speaker cabinet design (I checked their website) is different for Aviano and Mezzo series.

After that, we briefly auditioned the Aviano series 5.1 setup with a Cambridge AVR by then I was totally exhausted. It sounded fine.

At the end, I inquired about the speaker prices but he suggested/invited me to come for another audition (to drive those Aviano and Mezzo Floors (if possible with those Usher BE718) with different amplifiers to find the differences/improvements before make decisions. After I insisted, he mentioned that Aviano 8 pair may cost around 58K, Mezzo 6 pair may cost around 76K and Mezzo 8 pair may cost around 1.08 Lakh. I am yet to discuss on the final price and discounts :licklips:

Mr Palani was never in a hurry to sell/push me anything and he wants me to experience those speaker with different combinations then decide. So, mostly I will be visiting Audio Planet this weekend again.

Also, I visited the Sonodyne showroom in Forum mail in the Sunday evening. They had just one (wooden cabinets) 5.1 setup - speakers (I suppose it is Sonus series) and others were HTiB type. The sales person didn't show any interest on attending my queries and answer it. He reluctantly played the movie 2012 trailor using a Pioneer DVD player and Yamaha AVR (Don't remember correctly it might be RX365 ). It sounded very good in that small space with good punch. The total price for that 5.1 speaker setup is around 56K.

Now I'm almost convinced on having a decent sounding (of course with very good bass :D) HT set without spending much as almost everyone (including our forum members) mentioned so far.

Also, there was a slight change to my perception and slowly I'm inclining towards having two different setup for music and movies as our experienced members suggested. Even, Mr Palani suggested this and I'm going to explore more about the integrated amplifiers this weekend.

Thanks for all your inputs/suggestions and I'm slowly graduating :clapping:

So what did you finalise?setup?
OR only after Homework...:eek:hyeah:

I know its getting stretched for quite sometime with lots of inputs/suggestions/discussion in our forum and you guys might be feeling am being too analytic. Give me some more time and I would like to also check out Integrated Amps (Stereo) before make my move. I'm going to try out a few short-listed Floorstanders with Amps.

HT part, I'm pretty much convinced as I mentioned.

I know its getting stretched for quite sometime with lots of inputs/suggestions/discussion in our forum and you guys might be feeling am being too analytic. Give me some more time and I would like to also check out Integrated Amps (Stereo) before make my move. I'm going to try out a few short-listed Floorstanders with Amps.

HT part, I'm pretty much convinced as I mentioned.

Periyar, if you can, take time and decide, thats the best way to do it! No need to hurry. As it is you have started getting a clear idea of what you want and the pros and cons of stereo and 5.1 systems. Now take time and decide the gear you want and how much you want to spend on various elements.

Periyar, if you can, take time and decide, thats the best way to do it! No need to hurry. As it is you have started getting a clear idea of what you want and the pros and cons of stereo and 5.1 systems. Now take time and decide the gear you want and how much you want to spend on various elements.

Thank you very much. Surely I will.

hi periyar

some guide lines which maybe helpful for your audition

-for audition kindly carry your own cds,which u are familiar with
-ramta jogi /hotel california will sound good in most set ups
-dont only look for bass/punch/midrange apart from these also look for
imaging /separation of instruments/ vol levels --it shud sound exciting in low and not distort @ higher vol levels , these are factors which are more important (although these depends on various factors like spkr placement / room acoustics/ cables/ source)

-good spkr + stereo amp + a well recorded cd, shud fool you in such a way that the vocals shud be coming from the centre to such an extent that u shud think a centre channel is in action , the instruments shud be playing @ the background with clear separations between instruments

-the set up shud be exciting @ low vol levels + above properties
it shud not get harsh @ extreme vol levels , it got to make you drive louder with excitement (concert levels:eek:hyeah:) without a bit of harshness/fatigue

-some guys like forward sounding (in your face sound) where as some prefer the laid back kind--this depends on personal preferences /age/ genre of music

hope some of these help

Here is my brief experience at Vector Systems, Brigade Road.

I didn't plan to visit there at first. Since I didn't go to work on this Monday and had free time in the post noon, I visited Vector Systems to check out Wharfedales. Met with Mr Ramnathan and had a brief audition with Wharfedale speakers (Floorstanders) - Diamond 9.6 and Diamond 10.7 (which I already seen at Audio Planet with Cambridge setup) with Onkyo SR 703 and Pioneer DVD player. Actually it might not an ideal setup to audition stereo setup since my previous auditions were with proper source (CDP) and Integrated Stereo Amps.

I somehow didn't like the demo room and found it very stuffed. It was totally covered/carpeted - floor, walls etc., Wharfes throwed very good punch but visibly lacks the clarity. The bass was boomy and not a controlled/tight. Somehow I couldn't listen the music for a long time (maybe it caused fatigue) and I'm not sure this caused by the AVR or by the speakers or by the room acoustics :confused:. I feel that demo room is not properly (am not sure if the right term is acoustically) set up and it was too much bass for me that too just with the floorstanders. I'm sure that I don't need a Subs if I go for one of them :lol:.

I listened to a Kenny G number. Then, played a bhajan CD (which was used by Sridhar at ARN to demo the Ushers. I liked it very much and bought it this weekend :eek:hyeah:)

And tried another Sivamani drums CD. It played for a few mins and then the power went-off. My CD stuck up in the DVD player. Mr Ramnathan suggested me to come back for another audition with Denon & Yamaha amplifiers. I am planning to visit there again this weekend for at least to collect my CD.

The price part, I found the Wharfedales were comparitively cheaper even I saw a Floorstaner pair for 20K. Diamond 10.7 will cost around 56K and I already forgot the Diamond 9.6 and Evo series (it might be around a lakh or less) price. As Ramnathan mentioned, it seems that the Wharfedales are VFM) but wharfedales do have high end models (Opus etc.,) which I haven't audition yet. I've seen only Diamond 10.7 and Evo series not other high end models. He mentioned about Opus but it was missing there. I'm planning to audition the Evo series and Opus also if available.

Last edited:
Thanks Subhash.

-for audition kindly carry your own cds,which u are familiar with
I have started carrying it now

-dont only look for bass/punch/midrange apart from these also look for
imaging /separation of instruments/ vol levels --it shud sound exciting in low and not distort @ higher vol levels , these are factors which are more important (although these depends on various factors like spkr placement / room acoustics/ cables/ source)
I agree that and will surely look for these factors

-good spkr + stereo amp + a well recorded cd, shud fool you in such a way that the vocals shud be coming from the centre to such an extent that u shud think a centre channel is in action , the instruments shud be playing @ the background with clear separations between instruments
This has really happened at ARN setup with Ushers :licklips: I was actually looking for some other speaker placed in the center. The imaging created by that setup (I'm sure the amp and cdp also played a major part in that music reproduction) was amazing and dreamy (some may want to quote as surrealistic). I started learning things slowly and also understood that Ushers were little bit exaggerated(sugar coated?) but somehow I like that signature :D as others

-the set up shud be exciting @ low vol levels + above properties
it shud not get harsh @ extreme vol levels , it got to make you drive louder with excitement (concert levels:eek:hyeah:) without a bit of harshness/fatigue
I agree with you and certainly will look for these characterstics

-some guys like forward sounding (in your face sound) where as some prefer the laid back kind--this depends on personal preferences /age/ genre of music
hope some of these help
I'd love to hear the controlled/tight bass but not the forward sounding (in my face). I suppose thats what happened during my audition with Wharfedales at Vector Systems yesterday.

Regards,

This is exactly what I felt when auditioning the below setup.

Dynaudio 52SE
Primare Amp + CDP
High Quality cables - Nordost (I think)

Now I have been wondering what will be the impact if I use a Marantz PM 5003 and iPod (lossless) with DAC speaker cables and the same speakers. Does it make sense to have the Dyns in this setup.

Raghav

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back