My new HT setup with Rs.2.5 Lakhs

its not only about your views and interest here

it does interest several others, theres a thrill/high in both HT and stereo

if you have the cash why not spend , not on 5 but 7+1 high quality speakers,may be even more

many theaters are around not even a stones throw away and most are only slightly better than the TV:lol: but definetly better than the HTIB

The trouble is, cash is never enough in audio - however much you spend, there's always something better and once you hear it, you want it :lol:.

True but adding more things in the chain ruins the 2 channel music experience. A dedicated two channel power amp sounds significantly better than a 5 channel power amp costing the same. Unless you have an infinite budget, multichannel is almost always a compromise.

There's a saying in high end audio circles - you start off with bose, then you want the five biggest speakers you can find, then you move to two channel and then slowly the size of your speakers keeps shrinking as you move up the ladder :lol:

this is what the thread is abt

dont think you have gone thro several posts

back to topic

doubt the denon 2310 has pre outs

jst got these rates forthe AVR - yamaha RX v1800- 65k
RX 665 -35k
both have preouts , chk them out

You can add 2 more to the list of AVRs with pre-outs

Marantz 5004 - 38k
Marantz 6004 - 45k

BTW the 2310 is confusing with two back panel views, one with and one without preouts. I believe in some lucky regions the feature is offered

back to topic

RX 665 -35k

Last edited:
Thanks. Definitely I will check with AVR + Power Amp combo before I go for Integrated Amp

Using AVR with preout + poweramp combo may need AVR to keep on & it may be power consuming.
Can anyone confirm this?(I dont have preout AVR)

An update:

I spoke to Palani at Audio Planet and scheduled audition (Marantz, Mordaunt-Short setup also to check out a few amps) at this Sunday morning. Post noon, visit to ARN to audition 5.1 setup (Marantz, Amp with Ushers & Emerald Physics). Let me have these auditions and share my experience with you all.

Meanwhile, I wanted to visit Subhash place to have feel of his great setup and also to hear his experience in person. He has already agreed (Thanks a lot.. Subhash). But, I couldn't schedule this meeting yet as I am totally booked (work & other things) till this Saturday (full day :( ). Hopefully I will be able to schedule this meeting sometime next week by checking his availability.

Regards,

Hi Periyar
I do not recommend going the EP way, as you will need look at the CS2.3 for your needs. It requires to be bi-amped and is an overkill for your room (given the size). While it will deliver all the bass you will need and more :D, its also considerably higher than your initial budget (unless this has changed quite a bit). There is no doubt that the EPs have a tremendous advantage, however in your room given the distance from the backwall (limitation you have), the EPs cannot be setup (they need at least 3 ft).
You are most welcome to listen to the Ushers (mini-dancer 1 and 2) with an AVR and even use an AVR + Stereo amp and determine for yourself.

I know there have been lots of discussions regarding the amp section of an AVR. It is really for you to determine whether you are happy with the AVR to drive the speakers. This is a function of the AVR along with the speaker (load, impedance, rating, etc), one cant generalise this so easily. Speakers with single driver or easy to drive - EPOS, Odyssey audio, some Ushers, etc can be driven comfortably with an AVR. Drive, macrodynamics, etc are different from other qualities - tone, timbre, microdynamics, etc and yes the entire stream/chain contributes to these qualities, not just the amp. I know people for whom the latter is more important and I also know people for whom the former is important. From the little bit that I have talked to you, I believe the former is more important to you and this is also in line with the requirements for movies. You will need to try the pairing that you have in mind and determine that for yourself. Many people here can give advice but truly unless they have heard that pairing in a similar environment, you can only take is a suggestion not universal truth and by all means try those suggestions out and check it out for yourself.

cheers

Using AVR with preout + poweramp combo may need AVR to keep on & it may be power consuming.
Can anyone confirm this?(I dont have preout AVR)

Yes, you will need the AVR to be on, however the power consumed will be low

cheers

If you are not using the amp section of the AVR, the power consumed should be quite low as we are now referring to the processor section and the preamp only. Volume will not make that much difference, AVRs dont use class A or high bias to consume a lot of power.

True but adding more things in the chain ruins the 2 channel music experience. A dedicated two channel power amp sounds significantly better than a 5 channel power amp costing the same. Unless you have an infinite budget, multichannel is almost always a compromise.

Thats just you ROC. Tastes and interests differ. For you 2.0 is very important. For many others, both are important. Once you get used to the SQ of a good Stereo setup, you start craving for the same SQ even in movies.
From Periyar's requirement, he belongs to the category where he needs good SQ on both. I think we should let him make the choice by educating him, not by biasing him towards stereo.

ROC, while I am full of awe and respect for your taste and choice of equipment in Stereo, you have made me wonder how someone can go to such extremes(HTiB) especially when they love audio - be it in any form. Saving grace is that nobody has recommended a "5.1 feel" Headphone yet:D

There's a saying in high end audio circles - you start off with bose, then you want the five biggest speakers you can find, then you move to two channel and then slowly the size of your speakers keeps shrinking as you move up the ladder :lol:
Sorry, but I disagree on that saying. Not true any longer.

Hi Periyar
I do not recommend going the EP way, as you will need look at the CS2.3 for your needs. It requires to be bi-amped and is an overkill for your room (given the size). While it will deliver all the bass you will need and more :D, its also considerably higher than your initial budget (unless this has changed quite a bit). There is no doubt that the EPs have a tremendous advantage, however in your room given the distance from the backwall (limitation you have), the EPs cannot be setup (they need at least 3 ft).
You are most welcome to listen to the Ushers (mini-dancer 1 and 2) with an AVR and even use an AVR + Stereo amp and determine for yourself.

I know there have been lots of discussions regarding the amp section of an AVR. It is really for you to determine whether you are happy with the AVR to drive the speakers. This is a function of the AVR along with the speaker (load, impedance, rating, etc), one cant generalise this so easily. Speakers with single driver or easy to drive - EPOS, Odyssey audio, some Ushers, etc can be driven comfortably with an AVR. Drive, macrodynamics, etc are different from other qualities - tone, timbre, microdynamics, etc and yes the entire stream/chain contributes to these qualities, not just the amp. I know people for whom the latter is more important and I also know people for whom the former is important. From the little bit that I have talked to you, I believe the former is more important to you and this is also in line with the requirements for movies. You will need to try the pairing that you have in mind and determine that for yourself. Many people here can give advice but truly unless they have heard that pairing in a similar environment, you can only take is a suggestion not universal truth and by all means try those suggestions out and check it out for yourself.

cheers

Hi Sridhar,

Thank you very much. I understand your point and you are right that EP CS2.3 will not fit into my room as it lacks space. I am just curious since I read the review about it and at least would like to hear them in your environment to feel how it sounds.

On the AVR + amp part, as you (and most of them) suggested, I would like to hear for myself to decide on which way to go. Plus I have to feel which speaker pair will sound better with that setup. I have already spoke to Ali on this and scheduled audition this Sunday post noon.

Thanks and Regards,

back to topic

RX 665 -35k

I have just called up ProFX and double confirmed that it has got 7.1 channel pre-outs x 2. You can check out the brochure in their site. Any way I need to visit there for audition once the Focals are available. I will see that myself and confirm it.

Could you please compare the Denon 2310 with Yamaha RX V1800, RX 665 & Marantz 7003 and let me know which would be better with my setup and what are the advantages?

Thanks and Regards,

If you and subash dont mind, count me in too for the audition....

An update:

I spoke to Palani at Audio Planet and scheduled audition (Marantz, Mordaunt-Short setup also to check out a few amps) at this Sunday morning. Post noon, visit to ARN to audition 5.1 setup (Marantz, Amp with Ushers & Emerald Physics). Let me have these auditions and share my experience with you all.

Meanwhile, I wanted to visit Subhash place to have feel of his great setup and also to hear his experience in person. He has already agreed (Thanks a lot.. Subhash). But, I couldn't schedule this meeting yet as I am totally booked (work & other things) till this Saturday (full day :( ). Hopefully I will be able to schedule this meeting sometime next week by checking his availability.

Regards,

If you and subash dont mind, count me in too for the audition....

Which one you would like to join? Is it to Audio Planet audition or to ARN systems or to Subhash home?

For the first two, you are most welcome and it will be on this Sunday (Audio Planet at morning 11 AM and ARN Systems at 3:00 PM).

Last one, I am more than glad but Subhash may respond.

Regards,

Which one you would like to join? Is it to Audio Planet audition or to ARN systems or to Subhash home?

For the first two, you are most welcome and it will be on this Sunday (Audio Planet at morning 11 AM and ARN Systems at 3:00 PM).

Last one, I am more than glad but Subhash may respond.

Regards,

Yes, I am waiting for subash's response.

I may be in b'lore for a day! Coming tuesday. Maybe I can visit a couple of showrooms. Invites please.

You can visit ProFX (Denon, KEF, Polk, Focal etc.) at MG Road and Vector Systems (Wharfedale, AAD, DAC, Vanguard, Byford Audio) at Brigade Road since both are nearby.

Last edited:
I have just called up ProFX and double confirmed that it has got 7.1 channel pre-outs x 2. You can check out the brochure in their site. Any way I need to visit there for audition once the Focals are available. I will see that myself and confirm it.

Could you please compare the Denon 2310 with Yamaha RX V1800, RX 665 & Marantz 7003 and let me know which would be better with my setup and what are the advantages?

Thanks and Regards,

whats 7.1 channel preouts x 2 ?

cant comment on the avrs , i guess the yam rx-v1800 is a higher version

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back