My new HT setup with Rs.2.5 Lakhs

Last edited:
Thanks Venkat for explaning in detail. You meant to say that I should have two different setup for movie (AVR) and music (Integrete Stereo Amplifier) separately and don't mix it each other. Is that right?

It seems that Subhash (even I found the difference in audio quality especially the punch, from my audition at ProFX [KEF, Polk speakers without Stereo Amp] and ARN [Usher:licklips: with Stereo Amp]) claims the need of raw power even for the AVRs. In that case, if required, will I be able to use the pre-out of the AVR to connect to my integrated stereo amplifier later? Sorry for my ignorance and repeated questions as I couldn't understand this part.

Also, I would like to ask you all that, are we clear of not going for any Pre/processor in my setup? So that we don't have to discuss it further and we can focus/narrow down to only the required components (AVR, Stereo Amp - still under discussion, Speakers).

Thanks and Regards,

an integrated stereo amp will have a pre amp
unless it has a bypass mode ,not advisable to connect avr to integrated

there is confusion here

1-what venkat is saying is to have the integrated amp as a separate unit for stereo music ,and use a spkr switch and use the AVR for movies --as 2 separate units

2-the other way is-- to the AVR preouts connect an external power amp, so it acts as one unit for all purpose, the SQ for music depends on the pre of the AVR

3-if not happy with music reproduction via the pre of AVR u cud connect an external pre --contact sumith from the forum he has a similar set up

there is confusion here

1-what venkat is saying is to have the integrated amp as a separate unit for stereo music ,and use a spkr switch and use the AVR for movies --as 2 separate units

2-the other way is-- to the AVR preouts connect an external power amp, so it acts as one unit for all purpose, the SQ for music depends on the pre of the AVR

3-if not happy with music reproduction via the pre of AVR u cud connect an external pre --contact sumith from the forum he has a similar set up

Thank you very much.

Does that mean Integrate Stereo Amp and Power Amp is different? :eek: Oops I thought both are same. Sorry about the confusion.

Now, shall I proceed with your option-2? In future, if I'm not happy with the setup, then look for the option-3. Will that be too much to compromise on the music quality in this setup?

Also, I would like to know whether the Integrated Amp would be more expensive than Power amp.

Regards,

Thank you very much.

Does that mean Integrate Stereo Amp and Power Amp is different? :eek: Oops I thought both are same. Sorry about the confusion.

Regards,

Integrated meens they have additional circuit ,like Bass/Treble control.
Power Amp is just amp.

there is confusion here

IMHO - this will be your best option to start off with. Now down the road you can try option 1, but the speaker switch will likely degrade the sound quality rendering the SQ similar unless you use a very high quality switcher. One option would be to do a manual switching of speaker cables (should take 5 seconds if you use bananna connectors) - but could be a PIA:eek:hyeah:, especially if you plan to do both movie and music sessions the same day. Anyways what you can do is before you buy the integrated amp - compare it with the pre of the AVR and if there is a significant difference then go for it.
cheers
Sid

integrated means pre+power in one box. At times it is possible to use this unit as a pure power amp, but not quite easy to find such units. Though lot of units have pre out if you want to use them only as pre when you get a dedicated power amplifier. Even if you have access to the power section of the integrated, there may be some issues in impedance matching. That's the problem if you go with integrated.

Most power amps would not accept more than 1 pre, so if you want to keep a separate pre (avr with pre outs or just a pre/ pro) and a separate pre for music, you will have to switch the cables at the back of the power amp.

As per my limited knowledge of products you have to either have 2 pres in the path, or keep switching cables. Having two pres in the path of movies may be acceptable.

If you have to keep switching the cables, switching speaker cables might be easier as back of speaker may be more accessible than the back of amp.

I use the analog out of dvdp, cdp to feed to my pre, the pre feeds the power. But if I use an AVR, I would have to live with pre outs of AVR, unless there is an AVR with line out instead of pre out. But again, having 2 pre in the movie path should be fine. smedhavi on this forum does that by having an integrated amp connected to pre outs of avr. For music it is only integrated in the chain.

regards

Integrated meens they have additional circuit ,like Bass/Treble control.
Power Amp is just amp.

IMHO - this will be your best option to start off with. Now down the road you can try option 1, but the speaker switch will likely degrade the sound quality rendering the SQ similar unless you use a very high quality switcher. One option would be to do a manual switching of speaker cables (should take 5 seconds if you use bananna connectors) - but could be a PIA:eek:hyeah:, especially if you plan to do both movie and music sessions the same day. Anyways what you can do is before you buy the integrated amp - compare it with the pre of the AVR and if there is a significant difference then go for it.
cheers
Sid

Thanks. Definitely I will check with AVR + Power Amp combo before I go for Integrated Amp

Integrated amps aren't that great unless you buy something in the range of a Leben which are absolutely no compromise amps. I'd steer clear of entry level NAD/Marantz and such stuff. Totally useless to pair a Stereophile Class A rated speaker with a below par amp. You just need to decide what you want.

If I were you, I'd get a cheap denon/onkyo/jbl HTIB and spend the rest on a stereo setup. A cheap HTIB will be like 20-25k and will do enough unless you are super finicky about movie audio. As long as dialogs are clear, they should pretty much do the job. That way, you get to setup your stereo system with a great budget.

Integrated amps aren't that great unless you buy something in the range of a Leben which are absolutely no compromise amps. I'd steer clear of entry level NAD/Marantz and such stuff. Totally useless to pair a Stereophile Class A rated speaker with a below par amp. You just need to decide what you want.

If I were you, I'd get a cheap denon/onkyo/jbl HTIB and spend the rest on a stereo setup. A cheap HTIB will be like 20-25k and will do enough unless you are super finicky about movie audio. As long as dialogs are clear, they should pretty much do the job. That way, you get to setup your stereo system with a great budget.

definetly expected the Htib to come in soon:clapping:

reignofchaos you definetly are missing out on a good ht set up, it can be equally addictive

if you want to hear only the dialogs even a tv is good enough

definetly expected the Htib to come in soon:clapping:

reignofchaos you definetly are missing out on a good ht set up, it can be equally addictive

if you want to hear only the dialogs even a tv is good enough

Been there, done that. HT doesn't interest me any more :lol:. Why spend on 5 mediocre speakers when I can have 2 superb ones at the same price.

PS: Plus there's always the movie theater a stone's throw away :)

Last edited:
Exactly the point you missed. If one has a pair of speakers bought for 100k theres nothing a HTiB of 25k (speakers contribute about 10k only) will do better than the 2 speakers. Why would one waste money on that at all? It does not improve the HT experience. However, adding a decent 3.1 (about 50k) to the existing pair does add to the movie sound stage. Like if he goes for Usher fronts he can use the S520 and S525 to complete the movie setup. This make much more sense than using speakers of a HTiB

Been there, done that. HT doesn't interest me any more :lol:. Why spend on 5 mediocre speakers when I can have 2 superb ones at the same price.

My issue with movie theaters are multiple.

1. There are too many people.
2. The owner, most of the time, plays the movie too loud. They have recently started this new fashion of switching to all channels whenever a song comes up. something like a Neo 6.
3. You generally end up being surrounded by people who are either using their mobiles or chatting away with each other. You end up missing dialogues and missing the sequence of the story. In Dark Knight, for example, the Joker makes extremely subtle statements, which have to heard to understand the essence of the movie.
4. Going to a movie hall is usually a 4 to 5 hour business with driving, finding parking spot, and driving back exhausted.
5. Unless you go alone, the minimum expenditure is usually around 500 (2x120+petrol+pop corn++++). I can buy a original DVD for that price.
6. Many times I have embarrassed myself by laughing at some scenes. When I do that, the whole theater usually maintains pin drop silence. How can you laugh when we don't understand what you are laughing at. Or it is the other way around. Everybody will be laughing, and I will be wondering what the humour is.

I prefer watching movies at home as much as possible. With the right equipment and some minimal room acoustics, a HT system can, today, beat a cinema hall.

Cheers

In South Bombay it is a Rs1000 affair with tickets @300 on weekends. Not even counting the conveyance.

5. Unless you go alone, the minimum expenditure is usually around 500 (2x120+petrol+pop corn++++). I can buy a original DVD for that price.
Cheers

An update:

I spoke to Palani at Audio Planet and scheduled audition (Marantz, Mordaunt-Short setup also to check out a few amps) at this Sunday morning. Post noon, visit to ARN to audition 5.1 setup (Marantz, Amp with Ushers & Emerald Physics). Let me have these auditions and share my experience with you all.

Meanwhile, I wanted to visit Subhash place to have feel of his great setup and also to hear his experience in person. He has already agreed (Thanks a lot.. Subhash). But, I couldn't schedule this meeting yet as I am totally booked (work & other things) till this Saturday (full day :( ). Hopefully I will be able to schedule this meeting sometime next week by checking his availability.

Regards,

Last edited:
I have been going to cinema hall around thrice a month, but since 2 years i have never been to a theatre, there is nothing like having your own true mini theatre.

V.

My issue with movie theaters are multiple.

1. There are too many people.
2. The owner, most of the time, plays the movie too loud. They have recently started this new fashion of switching to all channels whenever a song comes up. something like a Neo 6.
3. You generally end up being surrounded by people who are either using their mobiles or chatting away with each other. You end up missing dialogues and missing the sequence of the story. In Dark Knight, for example, the Joker makes extremely subtle statements, which have to heard to understand the essence of the movie.
4. Going to a movie hall is usually a 4 to 5 hour business with driving, finding parking spot, and driving back exhausted.
6. Many times I have embarrassed myself by laughing at some scenes. When I do that, the whole theater usually maintains pin drop silence. How can you laugh when we don't understand what you are laughing at. Or it is the other way around. Everybody will be laughing, and I will be wondering what the humour is.

I prefer watching movies at home as much as possible. With the right equipment and some minimal room acoustics, a HT system can, today, beat a cinema hall.

Cheers

Exactly the point you missed. If one has a pair of speakers bought for 100k theres nothing a HTiB of 25k (speakers contribute about 10k only) will do better than the 2 speakers. Why would one waste money on that at all? It does not improve the HT experience. However, adding a decent 3.1 (about 50k) to the existing pair does add to the movie sound stage. Like if he goes for Usher fronts he can use the S520 and S525 to complete the movie setup. This make much more sense than using speakers of a HTiB

True but adding more things in the chain ruins the 2 channel music experience. A dedicated two channel power amp sounds significantly better than a 5 channel power amp costing the same. Unless you have an infinite budget, multichannel is almost always a compromise.

There's a saying in high end audio circles - you start off with bose, then you want the five biggest speakers you can find, then you move to two channel and then slowly the size of your speakers keeps shrinking as you move up the ladder :lol:

Venkat was exactly saying the opposite, I thought. He was talking in terms of improvement at the pre-amp and the processing stage and also at the source.

Asit, please read Murali's thread (#8) in http://www.hifivision.com/what-should-i-buy/7247-good-bye-now.html. And don't get offended or anything. It is just a different point of view.

as far as my uncultured uneducated always-bashing mind can see. Somebody please explain.

Guys, Asit is just pulling my leg as well as those of others who believe him. I have met Asit and he is an extremely well read and erudite man. :)

Cheers

its not only about your views and interest here

it does interest several others, theres a thrill/high in both HT and stereo

if you have the cash why not spend , not on 5 but 7+1 high quality speakers,may be even more

many theaters are around not even a stones throw away and most are only slightly better than the TV:lol: but definetly only better than the HTIB

Last edited:
Asit, please read Murali's thread (#8) in http://www.hifivision.com/what-should-i-buy/7247-good-bye-now.html. And don't get offended or anything. It is just a different point of view.

Guys, Asit is just pulling my leg as well as those of others who believe him. I have met Asit and he is an extremely well read and erudite man. :)

Cheers

Venkat ji,

Slightly OT - You could always get a permalink of particular post by clicking on the # Post number above a post. So Murali's post get's simply this http://www.hifivision.com/what-should-i-buy/7247-good-bye-now.html#post92708

Ignore this if you already knew

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back