Denon, Technics and Project Debut III USB

Sai Ganesh

Hi,
To add to the already bursting list of queries on TT selection- pls. educate me on the pros/cons of Denon (has anybody heard of the dp200u with USB coming in to Blre in a week? pricing 16K approx) vs. Technics SL2000 vs. Project Debut III USB
I am looking to build a vinyl collection as well as-
a) a/v compatibility- analog- digi conversion
b) a budget of about 5-10 K- can go slightly higher..

Pls. give me a comparison on pricing, features, added value of specific models over others.
Also, would be glad to get in touch with some avid collectors of Carnatic Classical LPs in Blre.

Thanks in advance,

hi sai,

the project is a belt drive, so is the denon i think. technics are direct drives. so first step would be to read up on the net about the sound of belt drives and direct drives so you have some info even before you start auditioning.

next would be to look at turntable features or sound or a middle path depending on what your priorities are. these would include an arm lift, auto lift off at the end of the side (generally denon has these), adjustment for VTA, azimuth, bias etc. out of these vta adjustment can vary from a fixed vta once set can only be changed by raising/lowering the arm and setting again to simple adjustment by way of a knob at the base that you can turn in increments. having more features will not mean better sound and in fact general wisdom is that adding things detracts from the sound quality.

if you want pure performance the projects are very well known as budget performers or outperformers.

denon gives you more bells and whistles.

technics is a direct drive.

if usb is what you want be aware that you can add an outboard usb phonostage later on also.

regards

Hi Steve,
Thanks a ton for your reply!
When you say "bells and whistles" does it mean that Denon compromises on the listening pleasure?
As for belt drive vs. motor, I suppose you'd suggest a motorized one, right?

Cheers,
Sai Ganesh

hi sai,

by bells and whistles i mean comfort features like lift off at the end and other features that are not necessary for playback quality. these are included for user convenience and comfort. sometimes, including these might also make the deck more prone to resonances and degrade quality of the arm itself. i honestly would not be able to pinpoint what degrades what but general wisdom on the net is avoid these and go for a deck that focuses on pure playback. all depends on what you want. if you're busy and want the needle to lift off at the end of a side go for it!

well motor ones like direct drive and idler drive you need good plinths to absorb the vibration. then only you get the full benefit of the extra torque and power. otherwise these motor vibrations get transmitted to the platter and then on to the needle. would recommend a belt drive. easier to maintain. the motor might go in motor based tt, but in a belt driven tt you can always replace a belt by putting another one on. simpler to maintain.

personally i have a belt drive which i'm currently playing a project. i've also got an idler drive a garrard 301 for which i'm looking out for plinth options to mount the table.

do listen to both types and then decide. not like motor based tts conk out regularly :)

is there any other budget brand in the range that might be as good, better, vfm?
Any model from Rega?

hi anm,

rega does make entry level tables, rega 1, rega 3 which is popular but they are not available in india so no support should something go wrong. go to Needle Doctor lots of turntable manufacturers on one site. so you can read up and research.

regards

Honestly, there is almost nothing that can go wrong with a Rega P3 with normal usage. Those tables are built very well and last forever. Just change the belt if ever needed which is very cheap to replace.

I'd look into getting a Rega P2 (which is the second table I have). That RB 251 arm is really an engineering marvel.

hi sai,

by bells and whistles i mean comfort features like lift off at the end and other features that are not necessary for playback quality. these are included for user convenience and comfort. sometimes, including these might also make the deck more prone to resonances and degrade quality of the arm itself. i honestly would not be able to pinpoint what degrades what but general wisdom on the net is avoid these and go for a deck that focuses on pure playback. all depends on what you want. if you're busy and want the needle to lift off at the end of a side go for it!

Automatic arm placement and lift-off is a really useful feature for its convenience value. In the beginning a gadget freak is filled with love for his equipment and does not mind manually lifting the tone arm and place it lovingly on the record. Over 5 to 10 years you will appreciate simply sliding a knob or button and settling down in your chair. I had a great sounding Garrard with this feature and in no was was the SQ poor. Without a listen to something better, the "better or worse" debate is usually reduced to a game of intellectual nit-picking... :) So if you like the sound of a TT with this feature, go for it.

Cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back